Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedthe cacophony of light - bits (2005)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 3.75  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2011 at 07:35
which is why my books contain the disclaimer:

Quote "Most of the words contained here are in the average dictionary, some are not;"
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2011 at 15:56

Drone 2002  

This album was recorded immediately after Moments, but that wasn't the original plan, the album I had planned and initially began after Moments would see six other CDs released before that saw the light of day (as The Gaia Cacophony).

While this album is called "Drone" it isn't really drone music, though there are some similarities. My intention when recording it was to simply see how far I could take one note (in this case E♭) in an hour - the only rule I imposed was a simple one - change the sound in someway before I became bored... there was no rule in-place for the "someway" - it could be anything - the tone, the pitch (shifting a whole octave was permitted as it would still be E♭), the instrument and any modulation was permitted as long as it didn't change the fundamental pitch of the note, basically whatever it took to make the sound different was fair game to relieve the boredom.

It has occurred to me since that this music is probably a lot more interesting to make than it is to listen to, and I guess that is true for a lot of un-commercial music of any genre, but probably most of all drone and noise.

Anyway, here it is: www.megaupload.com/?d=42TIK0CW 

What?
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2012 at 19:37
Sound very interesting, I'll have to check it out. Thumbs Up
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2012 at 17:18

Unhappy
What?
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2012 at 18:15
Unhappy

Makes me wonder how the US estimates this.

US Federal prosecutors shut down the site with an indictment that accuses Megaupload of costing copyright holders more than $620 million in revenue lost through pirated films and other content.

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2012 at 18:39
When truly dreadful films like Knight and Day can bomb at the box office and still gross $262 million, (net $145 million) they can make up any number they like and make it sound credible.
What?
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2012 at 19:40
Sorry about the Megaupload derping, Dean Disapprove
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2012 at 20:31
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

When truly dreadful films like Knight and Day can bomb at the box office and still gross $262 million, (net $145 million) they can make up any number they like and make it sound credible.

Then they should make 4 more movies and stop their whining.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2012 at 08:50
Dean, have you considered Bandcamp (although their maximum upload size may apply to you)?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2012 at 08:57
Or rapidshare or filehost. Loads if sites out there
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2012 at 09:25
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Fortunately there are many other file sharing sites. I hope you will use them for I have not yet downloaded as much as I want from you.
All of the one-click hosts have problems, all of them have illegal content alongside legitimate uploads, or restictions on downloads or time.

I know it's only a question of time and effort to continually upload stuff, but uploading is far slower than downloading on a domestic broadband connection. So far I have had uploaded 21 CDs of music from a discography of 51 albums - I'd much rather upload some of the remaining 30 albums, or put them on Amazon via CreateSpace because I prefer the physical hardcopy over an ephemeral download - the downer on that is even though I cut my profit to zero, Amazon still wants paying (spunos is still available to buy if you want to fill Amazon's coffers). Then I'd prefer it if CreateSpace was more creative, with double and tripple albums, digipaks and better booklets.

I have set up a Soundcloud account, but I don't know how longterm that is - mp3.com looked longterm when I first used it back in 2002 - also the 120 minute limit for free users is not enough and since I give this stuff away I'm not prepared to pay €500/year to host my files. As a promotional tool it would be okay, as a host... no. Similarily since I'm not looking to sell anything, Bandcamp isn't for me either (and their anti-Prog size limit is a problem for me - I've tried splitting the longer pieces and I don't like them in that form, I hate gaps-between-tracks as it is, none of my albums were designed to be heard that way).

This is the seventh time in ten years that the cacophony of light has been hit by files disapearing from the Internet through reasons beyond my control, and that becomes wearing after a while for something that is just a vanity on my part.

It has also been 7 years since I last recorded anything as the cacophony of light, I don't know how much longer I can beat this dead horse. (not an end, just a pause to rethink).
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2012 at 09:38
PS: send me a 4G memory stick by post and I'll return it with mp3s of all 51 CoL albums. PM me for the address, I'll pay return postage.

What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2012 at 10:16
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

PS: send me a 4G memory stick by post and I'll return it with mp3s of all 51 CoL albums. PM me for the address, I'll pay return postage.

I may do that!Thumbs Up But I'll pay the post.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2012 at 04:50

Landscapes - 2004

e-scapes

The Four Reasons...

"Whatever medium I choose to express my 'artistic-streak' at some stage I find myself drawn towards landscapes, whether it's in painting, prose or music, sometimes I find that expressing the background is far more interesting than anything that happens in the foreground. By itself a landscape is inert and unmoving, yet in an instant of time it can be active and emotive. The subtlety that creates that shift can be as simple as the diffused shadow of a drifting cloud that casually alters the light and softens harsh contrasts so that the eye is drawn to a previously unseen focal point rather than wandering aimlessly over the vista. A single view will gradually change with time, creating images that invoke different feelings as the sun travels the sky or the seasons progress the year - a spring dawn so radically different from an autumn sunset, the summer noon to the winter night. Stand still long enough and the landscape will move around you: a year and plants will grow and die; a decade and a new road may thread its way through fields and woods; a lifetime and a city will sprawl and spread into the hinterland; an aeon and a civilisation could rise and fall and in an epoch a mountain or an ocean could form at your feet."

Imbolc
Beltane
Lammas
Samhain

17:00
68:00

• Beltane is written in the Chromatic Dorian inverse scale, sometimes known as the Mela Calanata scale, and the Chromatic Phrygian - which (in the key of C) go: C D## E F G A# B (C) and C D## E F G# A# B (C) respectively. The attraction for me in these scales (aside from the obvious difference in the fifth note) was the double grouping of three notes a semitone apart that was common in each: D## E F and A# B (C). This means the scales could be transposed so that one of these groups overlayed the other in the previous key.
  • Lammas is written in the Minor Gypsy scale, C D Eb F# G Ab B (C) and the Mela Syamalangi, C D Eb F# G Ab Bbb (C) - in this tune the two scales are modulated between the keys of F and D
  • Imbolc and Samhain are both in A Minor and neither employ any form of modulation.
  • Sorry about the pagan/Wiccan track titles but Spring, Summer, Autumn & Winter seemed a little clichéd at the time, but then any title can become a cliché and the New Age association of those particular names is destined to be instantly stereotyped. Even the album title can be a cliché, though I was a little surprised by how little "Landscapes" has been used in the music world.

The cover art just shows how much fun you can have with a bowl of milk, a camera and too much spare time. The above image is from the CD's inner booklet and is a reverential nod to PF's Meddle and The Earthband's The Roaring Silence covers, though the connection only became apparent to me after I had Photoshopped my version - clichéd again.

Download from http://www.mediafire.com/?bdjw7jni4yk175y - 63Mb, (includes all artwork).

Edited by Dean - December 17 2012 at 05:07
What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2012 at 04:52
Am downloading now. Smile
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2012 at 08:39
I've uploaded some of the CDs *lost* from MegaUpload to MediaFire (all have been updated to include full artwork):

Ballet: http://www.mediafire.com/?0cqp2uvbdjmwwg2 (includes set of sepia-tint postcards)

enjoy (or not).

Edited by Dean - December 17 2012 at 09:53
What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2012 at 09:00
Brilliant Dean. Muchos thankos.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2012 at 09:54
You're welcome Smile
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2012 at 04:22
Untitled 2004

It's called 'Untitled' because that's the name of the album... one of those things that seemed like a good idea at the time but has managed to confuse the hell out of Amazon for some reason, I bet Sigur Rós never had that problem, or System Of A Down come to that.
  1. fourteen:forty-nine
  2. ten:seventeen
  3. twenty-one:oh-four
  4. six:thirty
    total playing time ~ fifty-two:forty
  • fourteen:forty-nine was the happy tune - it's not so happy now - I wiped the smiley off its face
  • ten:seventeen is a ballad and is dedicated to my wife, Deborah as that is her birthday.
  • twenty-one:oh-four is an undance marathon, with feeding-stops along the way.
  • six:thirty is two versions of the same tune played simultaneously... the left channel is in 6/8 time, the right in 4/4 - which is more or less how my feet go went I attempt to dance.
  • the track names are the track times but I assume you've all worked that out by now.

download: http://www.mediafire.com/?3a01c9909j6u89o (includes all artwork for 12-page booklet)

Edited by Dean - December 19 2012 at 04:40
What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2012 at 05:00
Do you deliberately non captalise song titles? Can I add a capital athe beginning of songs? I find it rather annoying. But if you intended it to be that way I don't know what to do.....

Seriously.

Edited by Snow Dog - December 19 2012 at 05:01
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>