Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedthe cacophony of light - bits (2005)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 3.75  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2015 at 13:25
 Body Language Triptych - 2004
three unrelated albums unconvincingly related

Three loosely themed albums from 2004 remastered and re-released into the wild.

download: SOD023CD - Kinesis: www.mediafire.com/download/jn1drf723ybio2c/Kinesis.rar 78Mb

What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2016 at 06:40
Radio - 2005
fading in and out of Static

In the late 60's and early 70's you could buy an old valve radio (or "the wireless" as my grandmother called it) for less than a pound at church jumble sales. Unfortunately, at the time these were regarded as out-moded and old fashioned compared to the modern transistor radio that replaced them, so basically no one wanted them. They were usually scratched and beaten up but working, so I would buy one of these sets and use it until it stopped working, then go and buy another one from the next church jumble, village fete or WI 'bring-and-buy'. As I grew older, I learnt how to make minor repairs to them, and as I gained a knowledge of electronics the older sets became a source of spares for other projects - but sadly they all ended up being taken down the local dump, or were modified to become guitar practice amps (which usually lasted a few weeks before the paper cones of the loudspeakers became totally shredded!)

However, as radios they had several advantages over their solid-state replacements: subjectivity, they sounded better; they most could receive short-wave transmissions - a source of many weird and wonderful noises and best of all - the tuning dial was illuminated by incandescent bulbs. Having an illuminated dial meant that late at night you could read trashy sci-fi novels by them while listening to Radio Luxembourg or one the illegal pirate radio stations.

aether
the luxembourg effect - part 1
wonderful 208
the luxembourg effect - part 2

06:00
27:00
06:00
27:10

download: SOD049CD - Radio: www.mediafire.com/download/9hdxd9c5ecv19xv/Radio.rar - 75Mb

Edited by Dean - January 01 2016 at 06:41
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2016 at 07:04
A word from our sponsor...

You may well ask "why this flurry of activity all of a sudden?" ... well, there are two three several reasons for this - the primary one is I wanted to finish and release "Edge" as I dislike things unfinished and fourteen years was long enough; secondly, having had a minor scare where I lost the entire CoL back-catalogue from one of my reserve backup drives I decided that MediaFire was as good a place as any for remote storage; thirdly, I've bitten the bullet and created a bandcamp page (more of that later, or elsewhere); fourthly I'm on holiday so have some free time and finally, I want to clear the decks of all my old albums because I want to return to making new music again.

This new found enthusiasm for returning to the world of music composition is the recent purchase of a new toy:

...the problem with my old Oberheim OB-12 is it is just too damn big to fit on the dining room table alongside my mixing desk, DAW, laptop computer and widescreen monitor. I've tried mini-keyboards in the past but due to being blessed with fingers like a pound of sausages I prefer full-size keys, which is where the Ultranova wins out against other small synths I could name.

Edited by Dean - January 01 2016 at 07:06
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2016 at 09:40
ffrantic - 2004
time marches inexorably ever onwards

Whether we like it or not, life progresses at a seemingly faster pace. Of course, in reality, time does not pass any quicker, the world does not spin any faster - but our perception of it does - in reality.

ffrantic is an instrumental cityscape, polaroid snapshots from Sala City - a fictitious city of the future that we all now live in. Each tune is a brief history of the lives that occupy it's spaces and confines: musical biographies of the individuals that live in, feed on, (and are devoured by), the city. Their stories told as fleeting tragedies of notes and melodramas of timbres in a collection of wordless operas.

ffrantic 
Narrow Streets 
Hi-Rise 
We'll Be Late 
Panic Attack 
Sala City 
Congestion Charge 
Demand And Supply 
Urban Chaos Theory 
Commuter Oasis 
Commercial Sector 
A Night In 
A Knight Out 
Take My Hand

00:46
03:52
03:41
04:22
03:53
05:26
04:29
03:36
03:13
03:17
03:00
04:46
05:33
04:24

download: SOD021CD - ffrantic:  www.mediafire.com/download/w323xwnaombx8x1/ffrantic.rar - 63Mb
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2016 at 17:25
Mode 1 & 2 - 2005

or factions thereof...

No coherent rhyme nor reason to these tunes, just some pieces of music that were created during the month of April 2005.

mode1

march to a diffident drum
the drake's progress
conquest and empire
the stigmata martyr stigma 
it doesn't matter what car
you drive when you are lost

6:25
8:20
8:10
18:54

21:20

mode2

1.the stigma variation          ............

65:06

download: SOD045CD - Mode 1: www.mediafire.com/download/857t178x3qijv78/Mode_1.rar - 75Mb
download: SOD046CD - Mode 2: www.mediafire.com/download/nxg7gvt6d3l0rgq/Mode_2.rar - 75Mb

What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2016 at 18:20
Moirai - 2003
A Golden Thread...

According to the ancient Greeks: the length of every life is measured by a golden thread that stretches from birth to death. It was the responsibility of the Moirai, the Fates, who (in some accounts) were the daughters of Nyx, to share out the length of thread that each life gets. The first sister, Klotho, spins the thread, which is apportioned by Lachesis and finally cut by the oldest sister, Atropos. All this occurs at the moment of birth, so the thread is Destiny, each life is pre-determined and allocated its share of evil and good that cannot be altered...

darkness and night - 5:55

the spinner of the future - 10:52

the apportioner of the present - 19:28

the destiny of the past - 21:28

download: SOD008CD - moirai:  www.mediafire.com/download/f6wh3qt1qwbeqz6/Moirai.rar - 66Mb
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2016 at 03:12
Ambivalent - 2004
Eno's you know...

Ambivalent is not ambient music and it has got nothing to do with Brian Eno. However, on April 1st 2004 the April-fool story on BBC Radio 4 was that Mr Eno had created a re-mix of the Archers' theme tune (www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/today/reports/arts/archers_20040401.shtml), which alas he hadn't, so for a giggle I wrote 'Ambridged'

Ambiotic
Ambivalent
Amblyopia
Ambridged

08:00
09:48
23:54
12:50

download: SOD022CD - ambivalent: www.mediafire.com/download/c12h90fdjsdz5a8/Ambivalent.rar - 62Mb
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2016 at 03:21
Voracious - 2004
the voracious appetite of the consummate consumer...

Eat The World
A Plague of Humans
Tastes Like Chicken
Area Of Outstanding Natural Beauty

31:03
15:14
4:32
6:50

download: SOD035CD - voracious: www.mediafire.com/download/4qmxb6b3fo72w2p/Voracious.rar - 66Mb
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2016 at 07:19
whiling away the hours - 2002-2004

this is getting tedious now...

Four single-track albums of no particular merit other than they seemed like a good idea at the time. Even if you've 3 hours 50 minutes to spare I'd go find something else to listen to.

download: SOD006CD - drone: www.mediafire.com/download/d1bq3zzo3w2vap9/Drone.rar - 76Mb
download: SOD020CD - rookery:  www.mediafire.com/download/0d0huhjax9de52h/Rookery.rar - 57Mb
download: SOD041CD - goldfish: www.mediafire.com/download/9sa9z5xhbxr3ztl/Goldfish.rar - 81Mb
download: SOD044CD - goffish:  www.mediafire.com/download/lq376g76a5ty4t4/Goffish.rar - 68Mb
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2016 at 07:33
two soundtracks - 2003

to life...

if...

...real life was like a film there would be a soundtrack - incidental music that followed us around adding atmosphere to the everyday things we do. Whether this is an original soundtrack composed by a celebrated composer such as John Williams or Philip Glass, or a random collection of our favourite chart-happy pop-tunes would be down to the whim of the director, but it would be there, emphasising the drama that unfolds before our eyes.

But life isn't like that. Life really isn't a four act play. There is no narrative, no story arc, no plots and sub-plots. There is no Second Unit off filming the exciting bits while we get on with the story. There isn't a team of SFX experts seamlessly crafting the impossible and implausible into the mundane-ness of reality. We have no stunt doubles - that car crash will kill you - that wound will make you bleed real oxygen-bringing, life-sustaining blood.

And with that, there is no soundtrack to our lives. In some pythonesque moment you could imagine a full orchestra on a flatbed truck following us around all day - but there isn't one. Nor do we suddenly burst into song and break into perfectly choreographed dance in the middle of Woolworth's -

life simply isn't a musical.

But it would be nice.

Now and then.

incidental is the soundtrack to something... that film that's projected onto my eyelids as I sleep; the film of that book I've yet to write. A concept without a concept.

1. incidentally
  2. the way of the world
  3. cynical sex scene
  4. a short walk to the edge
  5. love theme
  6. yesterday [was the last day of the rest of your life - part 1]
  7. obligatory car chase
  8. kevin's cosmic coffee-break

download: SOD014CD - incidental: www.mediafire.com/download/263s16tllen20z6/Incidental.rar - 76Mb

A hero's tale in the telling...

Eponymous chronicles the adventures of Eponymous - a Gaelic adventurer with a Greek name born in a time of distrust and war. The only son of an only daughter, begot in a moment of lost reason, unloved and unwanted. Cast out from society, he travelled through-out the empire, searching for heroic deeds to do and wrongs to address, as if to redress the balance that unlevelled his own life, Eponymous strove to find meaning in his life while avoiding death.

This is the music that documents his saga.

The Eponymous Hero ~ 20:02

The Heroic Adventure ~ 20:01

The Hero's Return ~ 20:02

download: SOD015CD - eponymous: www.mediafire.com/download/1n02dzi9lxko6lx/Eponymous.rar - 68Mb

What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2016 at 11:27
odds and sods - 2002-2004
scraping the bottom of the barrel...

A collection of electronic music vaguely influenced by the electronic music of my youth...
Penumbra 03:31
Alpha Proxima 03:56
One Sadness 04:27
More To Life (than this) 03:03
Safely Tucked Up In Bed 03:45
Monochrome Colour Box 04:12
A Moment Lost (abridged) 04:06
Optimistic One 06:11
Premonition Too 04:26
10  Menagerie 04:18
11  Graphite Point 06:04
download: SOD004CD - penumbra: www.mediafire.com/download/ol9yldu35to5lvu/Penumbra.rar - 49Mb

Some days you wake up and think 'ffnaa-'

Some days you go straight back to sleep

Tomorrow Knows 11:28
Just A Phase 24:00
Stupor 21:12
download: SOD031CD - laze: www.mediafire.com/download/s503johw72bcbm2/Laze.rar - 64Mb

...this one had something to do with maths, infinity and the existence of time, but I've forgotten exactly what that was...
Divisor 02:45
Numerator 04:28
Operand 20:10
Denominator 14:30
Persecutor 13:04
Underture 03:45
download: SOD033CD - nonentity:  www.mediafire.com/download/48zues9zd3u9plq/Nonentity.rar - 66Mb

What?
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2016 at 11:43
will any of these be on the bandcamp page, q.m.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2016 at 11:46
I intend to upload all 52 albums to bandcamp.
What?
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2016 at 11:48
k Approve
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2016 at 12:46
the end is nigh - 2004

last but not least, two of my favourite cover arts...

1.  Omni 1 15:27
2.  Omni 2   20:07
3.  Omni 3 15:20

download: SO.D032CD - omni:  www.mediafire.com/download/3wyy3e4drfwqfyw/Omni.rar - 55Mb

1.  The Gaia Flow 30:06
2.  The Fluidic Process of Thought    30:55

download: SOD039CD - fluidic: www.mediafire.com/download/og14q4ry1v1h1pl/Fluidic.rar - 60Mb

Edited by Dean - January 02 2016 at 12:47
What?
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2016 at 22:33
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

52 albums?  Are you the British Buckethead?
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Komandant Shamal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2016 at 21:03
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

LOL
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2016 at 03:51
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

I'm not quite that prolific, though those 52 albums were recorded over a four-year period (so essentially one a month)

However, due to the limitations of Bandcamp I've had to revise my plans so probably only 43 albums will be published on Bandcamp. The missing 9 will most likely be the three 3-album box-sets because Bandcamp doesn't have a box-set feature and two of those sets contain hour-long pieces of music that exceed Bandcamp's file-size limit. Several of my single albums also contained hour-long pieces that I had to split into pairs of shorter tracks to accommodate them but I can't bring myself to butcher The Gaia Cacophony and the West Wind Cacophony like that, those you'll have to download from MediaFire as normal.

Originally posted by Komandant Shamal Komandant Shamal wrote:

LOL
Yeah, hilarious. Now get out of my thread and stay out. Seriously, you're not welcome here. Stern Smile
What?
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2016 at 07:25
Have you tried if they fit the limit as FLAC?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2016 at 01:28
The longest track I can squeeze into flac is about 50minutes, if I went Pro I may be able to get 60+ minute flac files but that' costs $10/month and as I'm making everything free-download then I don't really want to pay for the privilege.
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>