FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPost-Metal on rateyourmusic.com

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Post-Metal on rateyourmusic.com
    Posted: August 19 2008 at 22:39

Hey. Im sure that most users here are aware of the website rateyourmusic.com. If not, its a huge super site revolving around music of all variaties. It consist of a large database in which users can add or update artist profiles at any given time. This has resulted in one of the largest and most comprehensive music archives on the net.

Anyway, in this website, you are also able to add genres. This is tough, because the community votes in order to pass or decline the suggestion. Im here because I am attempting to get the genre known as "post-metal" to pass, and it is being met with fierce resistance (as the term often is). Seeing as this site is one of those that widely accepts the term, I figured this would be the best place to notify others outside of RYM about the genre submission.

If you are a fan of the genre, and you believe the term post-metal is an accurate one, than please take the time to create a profile here (http://rateyourmusic.com --its free, dont worry; however you will have to wait 24 hours after creating the account before being allowed to vote :/) and vote for the genre here: http://rateyourmusic.com/admin/queue/hq/profile_details?type=h&context=p&id=21013

If you are opposed to the term, then naturally vote for its denial (Im not trying to discredit or supress anyones opinion). However, if you are a fan of the genre, you probably know that it is a highly debated term. Being that RYM is a MASSIVE site (it makes this and metal-archives look tiny in comparison) this could be the final step to making the term "post-metal" recognized by the masses, and finaly cease the debate about the legitimacy of post-metal. Vote Post Metal for 2008!

Note to moderators: I haven't been here in a short while, so if I have misplaced this thread, please feel free to move it to its proper location.

Edited by _JC_ - August 20 2008 at 02:05
Plankowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2008 at 23:48
Welcome back JC, wondered where you ran off to...
_JC_ View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2008 at 02:08

LOL Yeah. Sorry to immediately come back being on the serious side of things. Anyway, I've been off for a combination of reasons (school, vacation, lack of internet). But yeah, hows it been here?

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2008 at 02:58
This voting process is an interesting idea ... but how are those genres then assigned to the releases?

BTW: Check out http://progfreak.com too ... we follow a different approach there, and the website is microscopic compared to RYM, but still. You cannot vote for/against genres, but you can suggest new tags in the forum. Those (simple) tags can then be used to build genres ... for example there's no need to add a genre "Atmospheric Sludge" ... since the tags "Atmospheric" and "Sludge" are already there. "Post" and "Metal" are also there.

Big%20smile
_JC_ View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2008 at 03:08
Sounds cool, I'll check it out.

About the album thing. Once a genre is accepted, people can tag certain albums as certain genres. Enough tags on the same artist, and it is listed as whatever genre. Since RYM is rather sizable, once a genre is accepted, the genre explodes with album and artist tags. If this goes through, I'll be doing quite a bit of tagging Big%20smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2008 at 03:14
I guess it's David vs. Goliath ... it may be a lost cause, but I still think that my website has a lot to offer by comparison. The biggest difference might be that on my website you can also assign tags to tracks. Also, since complex genres are formed by combining simple tags, the system can build more relations between artists/albums/tracks than with fixed genres.

But I still have a RYM account ... I'll support your genre there, even if it means the death of my website.Wink
_JC_ View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2008 at 03:27
Nah, your site will do fine Wink, I'll be sure to check it out tomorrow (and Im always looking for a new place to discuss music, so you probably have a new regular). And yeah your right, this is very much a sort of David vs. Goliath sceneraio. Apparantly, this has been tried four times before on that site Confused. Wasnt aware of that, before I got in way over my head (see: gang bang).
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2008 at 03:29
I can't understand that ... Post Metal has been an accepted genre for quite some time, I've seen the word used in many reviews, of course not only here but also at other metal sites, it's on wikipedia, too.
_JC_ View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2008 at 03:32
I know, thats my argument. Its already a genre, therefore it should be included there. Infact, this site was a main reference of mine (and after my hiatus from the internet, its what reminded me of the place, so here I am).

Edited by _JC_ - August 20 2008 at 03:33
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2008 at 13:44
I'll make an account later today, but you obviously know what I'm voting for!

Good to see you back BTW, you're always a breath of fresh air hereBig%20smile
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2008 at 14:48
If the tag Post-Metal made sense to begin with this would be an easier job.
Prejjer View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2008 at 17:42
i think post-anything is a pretty ridiculous name for a genre, post-rock for example, it is usually chamber music mixed with rock, so it should be called chamber rock.

post-metal is post-rock mixed with a certain subgenre to metal, so naturally i think its enough to just use the metal tag as the primary genre and post-rock as the secondary genre, or vice versa.
_JC_ View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2008 at 18:53
Naturally, if anyone is opposed to the tag, I would encourage them to vote against it. I just thought it would be a good idea to bring this to PA's attention seeing as the site is invested in the genre.
_JC_ View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2008 at 01:00

25 more yes votes are needed for this to pass. Confused

_JC_ View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2008 at 22:43

In the past few days, the submission has picked up a bit of strength. I would like to thank everyone who has voted, and further encourage those interested to take the short amount of time to vote. The genre is almost there, but getting votes is VERY difficult, especially this late in the game. Every vote is crucial.

Thanks again to all who have contributed so far.

Post Reply Post Reply