Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Flower Kings to record a new album?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Flower Kings to record a new album?
    Posted: August 25 2008 at 20:37

The Flower Kings are changing drummers again. Of course, I bet none of us believed Pat Mastelotto would stay with them after the tour they did together. This was a while ago, Erik Hammarström is the drummer, and with that, they've got a new vocalist, keyboardist, guitarist Ola Heden too.

This line-up has been seen in Germany already, and they're starting a small US tour next month followed by a few gigis in Norway. Wish they'd finally come to Finland too

Anyway, what really caught my attention was this post by Roine Stolt at www.flowerkings.se from March, and I quote:

Quote As it is now Erik's first gig will be at the Loreley festival in Germany on July 19th.

We'll be doing some more shows, can't tell eggsagtly where (Happy Easter btw.)
but check this space for updates.

Anyone eager to hear more of "The Sum Of No Evil" live ???

Then later this year we'll be recording a new TFK CD with Erik......now THAT will be a thrill!!!

Roine.

This is probably old news to some, who read the site on a regular basis, but is it really true, that TFK are going to start making yet another album later this year. Sum of no Evil just appeared to shops in 2007. Where do these guys get their creativity, and will they never stop? Are we really to expect another 2 CD album?

[image]http://www.flowerkings.se/media/flowerkings0308.jpg[/image]

(from top left)

Tomas Bodin: keyboards
Roine Stolt: guitars & vocals
Jonas Reingold: bass & vocals
Erik Hammarström: drums
Ola Heden: vocal & keyboard, guitar
Hasse Fröberg: vocals, guitar

New faces eh

Edited by Passionist - August 25 2008 at 20:38
johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2008 at 21:22
Delicious Agony just had an interview with Stolt this month that you can still stream.  When asked about new studio material, he said things were still very preliminary.  He talked a lot about the drumming situation as well.  Might want to check it out for more current info.Smile
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
Proglodita View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 00:17
Well, Sum of no Evil in 2007, then 2009 appears like the logical year for the next album, according to the previous ones... (if it wasn't 2008).
P
RaphaelT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 05:37
Three guitars, four vocals, two sets of keyboards - it is going to be hell of a sound
yet you still have time!
CaincelaOreinim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 09:47
You seem to forget the time when they had Gildenlow and another percussionist in the band...I suppose it amounts to the same type of sound bar these new guys being better players.  Seeing them tonight here in NYC...what I personally think they need is a sax player.
Passionist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 10:29
A sax would be totally awesome!
elpprogster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 11:12
Will Flower Kings turn to something like Yes - Union, doubling the instruments? That does not sound sogood to me...
RaphaelT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 12:03
Doubling some instruments was always a sign of Flower Kings style, although Daniel Gildenlow was still a guest in TFK,  running his own great band - the sax is logical, they are very jazzy and a band of such great musicians, that they would not sound like "poor man The Tangent"
yet you still have time!
Kestrel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 12:23
Is the writing of a new Flower Kings album really a question? Haha.
RaphaelT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 12:34
It is - we are not sure whether it is double or single CD and whether they release twice a year or once in two yearsSmile
yet you still have time!
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 20:19
Originally posted by Kestrel Kestrel wrote:

Is the writing of a new Flower Kings album really a question? Haha.

Ha, that's what I was thinking. Basically, any year you can count on The Flower Kings to put something out. If not, Roine Stolt will release a solo album. This year, however, may be the first year since 1994 where Roine hasn't put anything out.

And, as far as adding a sax goes, I would love for Ulf to join the band full time. His parts are always great.
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
RaphaelT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2008 at 05:11
Is Roine losing his creativity Wink? Impossible
yet you still have time!
martinprog77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2008 at 15:19

it would be normal for the beginning of 2009 [ after all is the flower king ] ,and it could be a double album  . Smile 

Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Passionist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2008 at 17:00
Well it ought to be a double album at least, if they've had such a long time workign on it. I expect nothing less. A triple would be nice too though
AlexUC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2008 at 20:04
They're a music factory. I don't like the band, but it's very interesting to see a band that never stops making good music, even with many line-up changes, a la Opeth...However it would be great to expect something new. With a sax player maybe they can accomplish something like Unfold the Future, which would be nice!!
This is not my beautiful house...
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2008 at 22:03
^Yes, I would love another album on par with Unfold the Future. If they can't make another one of those, they better stick to a single disc. Their albums are very hit and miss for me (bar Unfold the Future). I admire their machine-like production rate, but I would rather them take more time to put together a long masterpiece or the same time on a shorter disc, than an album that is mostly brilliant and too long. It would save me time and money!
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
Harry Hood View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2008 at 00:14
I just saw the new lineup perform in New York, and it was one of the mot spectacular concerts of the summer. The new drummer is fantastic and a much better fit for the band than any of the previous drummer, and the multi-instrumentalist is a spectacular musician as well. I can't wait to hear the new album with this lineup, it may be their best yet. Thumbs%20Up
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2008 at 10:07
Well, I for one enjoy all their albums, and nearly every song on them.  I think the only issue with the double albums is that some decent songs get sort of overlooked by the more majestic and instantly appealing ones.  It is difficult to keep focused through two CD's of music by the same band, usually with both being over 70 minutes.  But over years of listening to their double albums, I find very few songs that are not great or at least good.

As to sax, they've had it on nearly every album including the last one, but it would be nice to have it in the live line up.  And I wouldn't rule out Roine putting something out in 2008 just yet.  There is the DVD with Pat M in the works.......................
CaincelaOreinim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2008 at 11:51
Originally posted by Harry Hood Harry Hood wrote:

I just saw the new lineup perform in New York, and it was one of the mot spectacular concerts of the summer. The new drummer is fantastic and a much better fit for the band than any of the previous drummer, and the multi-instrumentalist is a spectacular musician as well. I can't wait to hear the new album with this lineup, it may be their best yet. Thumbs%20Up

I sincerely beg to differ being at the same show: thought the new drummer is probably the worst one yet...not worst player by any means, but worst FITTING: reliance on a LIGHT jazzy style with match grip, his use of brushes for the two Paradox Hotel songs that just were not coming through in the mix, wimpy cymbal work that honestly WOULD be cool for a lighter less ELECTRIC band, and really he and Jonas just did not lock in whatsoever...additionally his drum solo leading into Pioneers was a bore. I don't think he'll be lasting long...and I really think they need someone like Zoltan or even their last guy who at least fit the band's funk and fusion excursions...again, I found the new guy to be FOR THE MOST PART acoustic jazz esque.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2008 at 16:34
Originally posted by Passionist Passionist wrote:

This is probably old news to some, who read the site on a regular basis, but is it really true, that TFK are going to start making yet another album later this year. Sum of no Evil just appeared to shops in 2007. Where do these guys get their creativity, and will they never stop? Are we really to expect another 2 CD album?

I think it's a necessity more than anything. For a band like The Flower Kings to survive, because they aren't going to shift large quantities of cd's they have to keep releasing them on a regular basis knowing that the core fans will buy everything they release. They always have released them fairly regularly  and as well as all the side projects can I would imagine, make a living.

I know some people think that a bit of quality control wouldn't go amiss on some of the double cd's. Personally although everything on them is not great, overall I'm pretty happy with them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>