Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Peter Gabriel - New album, politics and covers!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPeter Gabriel - New album, politics and covers!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Peter Gabriel - New album, politics and covers!
    Posted: August 27 2008 at 17:31

Friday August 15 2008 Robin Denselow from the Guardian interviewed Peter gabriel about what's new with his life. Peter has just had his fourth son at the age of 58. Yet he still has time to do politics and music. He speaks openly about the Elders, the 12 people including Nelson Mandela and Desmond Tutu and this time himself. The Elders is a group of retired politicians and influental people who "can speak freely and boldly, working both publicly and behind the scenes on whatever actions need to be taken. Together we will work to support courage where there is fear, foster agreement where there is conflict, and inspire hope where there is despair." Says Mr. Mandela. Peter Gabriel says also, that being called to this meeting was one of the reasons  why he didn't join the Genesis reunion.

Mr. Gabriel appears on a new Real World release, for which he was co-curator. It's called Big Blue Ball, and consists of collaborations by artists from around the world who came together for what Gabriel called Recording Weeks, held at Gabriel's studios in Wiltshire in 1991, 1992 and 1995, with extra vocals added to one song last year. The Big Blue Ball is out now on Real World Records via Proper.

The interview with Mr. Denselow also states, and I quote:

Quote So what next? He says there will be a new album soon, possibly next year. And he's recorded for an album called Scratch My Back, in which artists cover each other's songs. And then there's his involvement with the Elders, the concept of which sprang from a conversation with Richard Branson in 1999.

So aside from working on the renewed Womad festivals he says he's got time to get a new album done. Of course this is just great, and I really hope he gets it done. Though I really appreciate his work with the Elders too.

My personal favourite is the ending paragraph:

Quote And did he really have to make the choice between meetings with Mandela, Tutu and co and singing The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway? It seems so. The Elders, said Gabriel "was a once-in-a lifetime opportunity and more pressing for me than a Genesis reunion, even though it could be fun to do some time. But it's not necessarily something I would want to live in." Meaning? "It's a nice place to visit but not somewhere you want to move back to necessarily." It's not, perhaps, the Real World.

Well, we forgive you, at least I do. There's more important matters in the world than the Genesis reunion... The new Peter Gabriel album promised for next year for example!!!

The whole article can be found at http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/aug/15/worldmusic.popandrock

Endless Wire View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2008 at 18:11
Do I want world peace or a Genesis reunion?

Hmm...It's a tough call...
LeInsomniac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2008 at 19:24
Tough call indeed, although my pessimism says that this kind of action are noble yet preety useless, he's allways been a great human being, and only does good to this world gone mad. Hope you carry on fighting Mr.Gabriel.

However you could've taken three little months to convice Hackett and do some shows and a live dvd couldnt you?Big%20smile

Happy Family One Hand Clap, Four Went On But None Came Back
puma View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2008 at 00:56
Originally posted by Endless Wire Endless Wire wrote:

Who says they don't go hand in hand? Everyone in Russia and Georgia will be too busy smoking up and listening to Watcher of the Skies to pick up their Kalashnikovs
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2008 at 14:11
"Support courage where there is fear, foster agreement where there is conflict, and inspire hope where there is despair"? Well said, Mr Mandela; perhaps you can start by speaking out a little stronger on Zimbabwe!

As for PG, we all know he suffers from megalomania... I guess the Elders would function perfectly well without him, so it MIGHT be nice to hear him touring FOXTROT again - but then we've already got the Musical Box to put on that kinda show, and PG probably sees his Genesis years as the folly of youth, anyway...
CaincelaOreinim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2008 at 15:35
NO, keep him at bay, let him revisit Genesis for a year or two; feed him more collaborations (note: I'm a big Gabriel fan) HOWEVER...we need a new Crimson developmental session and tour!  Or just have someone else fill in for bass (tough chance...)
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2008 at 15:39
Remember one PG year is equivalent to about 10 normal years, so when he says an album next year you are probably looking at minimum 2013+++Evil%20Smile
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Bitterblogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2008 at 18:31

And, not to be outdone, Steve Hackett is unavailable, having had wife Kim body paint him to protest the loss of Brazilian rainforest since the Till We Have Faces sessions. . . Cry
Endless Wire View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2008 at 00:31
Originally posted by Bitterblogger Bitterblogger wrote:

And, not to be outdone, Steve Hackett is unavailable, having had wife Kim body paint him to protest the loss of Brazilian rainforest since the Till We Have Faces sessions. . . Cry

Hmm, haven't heard that one.  Actually I heard that he was ready and willing for a Genesis reunion, but they decided that he should wait until PG comes back and do a full reunion.  Can't remember where I heard it.
Sympho View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2008 at 03:08

'Sorry'.. i respect Peter Gabriel as a musician..   but in this he's acting like a real turt here!
Is he a politician, or a musician???

Worldpeace? Sozzz.. my arse.. wasted time in this world and age.  :~
Stick to what you are good at Peter. Better for all of us..

Ps. He is NOT Mister Genesis! That title goes to Mister Tony Banks..   *bows*
Passionist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2008 at 11:26
A "turt" because he doesn't do music? What about Bono, he does more politics than music nowadays. does that make him a "turt" as well?
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2008 at 11:29
Don't care much for a Genesis reunion. Too much respect for the choices and directions they've chosen. Even an album of all new material would be far from anticipated. Just want to revel in the music they left us when they were together, thank you very much. Plus, slowing the insidious extermination of the human race is, IMHO, a pretty worthy cause. Music just can't do it, sorry y'all.
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Sympho View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2008 at 22:50
Originally posted by Passionist Passionist wrote:

A "turt" because he doesn't do music? What about Bono, he does more politics than music nowadays. does that make him a "turt" as well?

Yeahh..  and what did it excactly good for the world..?
Not a lot really..Dead

Better they make good muzak, would make more peeps happy Tongue
Sympho View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2008 at 03:22
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Don't care much for a Genesis reunion. Too much respect for the choices and directions they've chosen. Even an album of all new material would be far from anticipated. Just want to revel in the music they left us when they were together, thank you very much. Plus, slowing the insidious extermination of the human race is, IMHO, a pretty worthy cause. Music just can't do it, sorry y'all.

If you 'throw' all those people into one studio again for say 3/4/5 months..  they would come out with a fiiiiiine new album! I can assure you that.

Maybe that's what's bothering me, the story with Ray Wilson, a live tour with no new cd, and Peter Gabriel not bothering..

:~

Ps. I Love Genesis.
igor igor View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2009 at 07:28
The Main Reason for why pete gabe didn't really want to attend the Genesis Re-union was many fold, but put yourself in his shoes, it would be very difficult after what he has now become to step back down to where he started that of an ordinary and equal Band Member of Genesis.
Zebedee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2009 at 06:08
Originally posted by Sympho Sympho wrote:

Originally posted by Passionist Passionist wrote:

Yeahh..  and what did it excactly good for the world..?
Not a lot really..Dead

Better they make good muzak, would make more peeps happy Tongue

Couldn't agree more. Musicians going politics usually isn't a good thing. Do they really think they can change the world? Yes. Do they accomplish anything substantial in reality? No.
They'd probably make the world a happier place by just doing what they're good at: playing music.

Edited by Zebedee - July 27 2009 at 06:34

Friendship is like wetting your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel its warmth.
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2009 at 06:11
YAY!

Can't wait!

-Joel

THANKYOU FOR THIS POST!
 Post Reply Post Reply