Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Neal Morse CD Lifeline
    Posted: October 01 2008 at 09:33
Amazon shipped early because I got my copy yesterday, the release date.  I'm two listens in and I think it's very good so far.  Those who say it's just more of the same old Morse are mistaken.  Had it been another concept album (he's done 4 in a row) I might agree but this one has distinctly different songs and it seems to be more varied musically.  It's Christian Prog, no doubt about it, but that's the world he exists in and who are we to criticize his happiness and fulfillment?  Let it be.  Anyway, don't be scared off by the early reviews.  It's tight as lug nuts, Neal's voice is as strong as ever and the final guitar shred on the last tune will curl your hair...
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2008 at 22:12
Why are people reviewing this album before it's out? Are they awesome pirates or are they just making crap up?
johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2008 at 09:31
Nice interview with Neal over at ytsejam.com just posted.  Talks about the new album.
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
Anaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2008 at 09:01
I can't wait to listen to this album!! I hope it will be as good as Sola Scriptura!!
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2008 at 10:01
I was sent a promo of the album by Radiant Records for review purposes(which will be coming soon),and I really like the album.It's his first song-based,non-concept solo album and the tunes seem to be more personal and have more meaning to them this time around.The epic "So Many Roads" is one of the best he's written in recent years,imho.Morse fans will not be disappointed with this album.

The Letter M View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2008 at 11:19
The Pre-Order is up at Radiant Records and has the tracklisting for the bonus disc. No "Starless" oddly enough, that Mike eluded to a few months ago. Sad.

-Marc.
I know what I like and I like what I know. I will choose a path that's clear, I will choose free will. If I die tomorrow, I`d be alright because I believe that after we`re gone, the spirit carries on.
Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2008 at 10:46
This announcement has made my day!  Can't wait.  I haven't heard anything released this year that absolutely knocked me out so maybe Neal's newest will be the ticket.
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
Zitro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2008 at 09:59
Well, the material presented in that video of Morse playing with Portnoy was pretty weak, and the "Lifeline" song just sounded like more of the same, except without any really interesting parts.

I'm not sure if I'll give this one a try, I already have 4 solo albums from him.
Endless Wire View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2008 at 16:55
I like SB okay, but have never got around to ever listening the Neal's solo work.  It's on my list though.

The cover art is pretty cool.
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2008 at 12:33
Originally posted by RaphaelT RaphaelT wrote:

Autumn seems to be very interesting this year, with new Pendragon, Marillion and this news...

And don't forget the new Echolyn!  Clap
RaphaelT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2008 at 04:54
Autumn seems to be very interesting this year, with new Pendragon, Marillion and this news...
yet you still have time!
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2008 at 21:24
I hope this is better than that live performance of the title track has me expecting.
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2008 at 20:31

NEAL MORSE TO RELEASE NEW PROG CD, Lifeline SEPTEMBER 30, 2008

MIKE PORTNOY AND RANDY GEORGE RETURN

October 1, 2008-Hot on the heels of his breakthrough concert DVD, Sola Scriptura & Beyond (which sold out before its release date), Morse unleashes another progressive rock masterpiece with Lifeline. But where do you go from Beyond?

Following Spock's Beard's Snow album, Neal crafted some of the most acclaimed concept albums in the annals of progressive rock. His rich sonic landscapes capture the imagination-musically, lyrically, and often spiritually. When Neal began writing his next opus, though, he took a fresh approach and let his songs stand on their own.

Lifeline is a collection of songs exploring a variety of topics in musical styles ranging from the classic sound of early Spock's Beard to the fiery intensity of Sola Scriptura. For the first time in his solo career, most of his album's songs span five minutes. (Then again, this is a Neal Morse album. So yeah, you're also in for a 30 minute prog tour de force.) Overall, Lifeline is a breathtaking leap into uncharted musical territory, and a triumphant return to the eclectic sound of his early work with Spock's Beard and Transatlantic.

The album opens with the title track, "Lifeline", a song that might have overslept the Spock's Beard V sessions. Neal honours the desperation he experienced for most of his life, and celebrates his eventual escape. Morse explores this previous life more intimately in the beautifully tragic "The Way Home".

"Leviathan", the third track, expresses Neal's lighter side. Humour is not usually associated with prog…then again, neither are metal guitars answered by funk horns, and sneezing sea monsters. Perhaps ironically, this is also probably the heaviest track of Neal's career.

Neal explores spirituality, love, and hope on the next two songs. The most recognizable for Morse and Beard fans will be the second, "Children of the Chosen". Its anthemic, harmony-laden choruses evoke Snow's "Wind at My Back". Together, both songs are among Neal's most engaging.

"So Many Roads" is Lifeline's inevitable, majestic epic. Chronicling Neal's life, musically and biographically, the song traverses the many musical paths leading to the establishment of one of rock's distinctive voices. Prepare for a surprisingly candid account of Neal's early experiences, and his motivation to seek a new life.

Bringing Lifeline full circle is the closing track, "Fly High". Neal sings of returning to the beginning…before there were so many questions, so many roads. We return to where we were as children-safe in the eye of a raging storm. Looking skyward, we see a path leading out. We reach upward, higher than we ever could, and grab hold...

LIFELINE – SPECIAL EDITION

2 CD set with Bonus disc containing 6 extra tracks!

Featuring the guitar work of Paul Gilbert and Paul Bielatowicz

Plus extra pages of personal notes and photos!

"HANDS DOWN, NOBODY IN THE INDUSTRY DOES PROG BETTER THAN NEAL MORSE"

- TheProgFiles.com

Featuring Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater

Edited by E-Dub - August 29 2008 at 12:43
 Post Reply Post Reply