Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat is with Progressive Metal bands' singers?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is with Progressive Metal bands' singers?
    Posted: August 29 2008 at 00:07
Okay, maybe someone knows. I love progressive metal. But why, WHY???, do so many prog metal singers sing like it is the 80s? And you know what I mean. That 80s hair metal sound of vocals. Dream Theater has it, though not like they do on earlier albums, and that is also why I won't buy early DT albums. Symphony X. . . love the music, and really like the singers voice, but damn, he is annoying. Spiral Architect, one of the most complex albums ever, is a great album. . . but the vocals ruin it. Well, they don't ruin it, because I still listen to it, but it really is annoying.

And I just bought a CD by a band named Thought Chamber. They are in the archives. I listened to all the samples on Amazon, but am now kicking myself because I somehow missed the vocals. Great music, annoying vocals. If you like that style of singing though, get Thought Chamber's CD.

This just my opinion. I realize there are a lot of people out there who like that style of singing. But it seems like the only place you hear it is in Prog Metal. And here is why I don't understand it. . . there is nothing progressive about it. They did it in the eighties in all those hair-metal bands, and the only genre keeping that vocal style going is progressive metal. I don't get that at all.
I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress . . .
Yorkie X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2008 at 00:14
Ted Leonard is the singer of Thought Chamber he comes from a band called Enchant ...  I have only ever heard high acclaim for his voice so far ... till now.    Tongue
Kestrel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2008 at 00:30
Yeah, I agree to an extent. Whenever I played Dream Theater for my dad, he would safy it sounds just like a hair band. And to be honest, it's not that inaccurate, in my opinion.
~Rael~ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2008 at 01:04
Don't get me wrong Yorkie X, he is a very talented singer, and I need to really listen to the CD a few times.
I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress . . .
Plankowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2008 at 01:09

rael, check out the Tech Extreme genre on here... no glam there.

With Progressive Metal you really should listen to clips cause you never know what you're going to get.  In the Progressive Metal genre try:

Adaigo
Beyond Twilight
Division By Zero
Heaven's Cry
Indukti
Jon Olivia's Pain
Linear Sphere
Nightingale
Osada Vida
Pain of Salvation
Redemption
Riverside
Savatage
Shaolin Death Squad
Superstring Theory
Wastefall
Zero Hour

..some not so glam vocals, threw in a few instrumental bands as well.  You ever check out Canvas Solaris?

The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2008 at 05:04
Why not MESHUGGAH???

If it says "cheesy 80s vocals" on one side of the coin, then it says "Meshuggah" on the other side. Check um out. I DARE you Evil%20SmileEvil%20SmileEvil%20SmileEvil%20SmileEvil%20Smile
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2008 at 05:16
Originally posted by kibble_alex kibble_alex wrote:

Why not MESHUGGAH???

If it says "cheesy 80s vocals" on one side of the coin, then it says "Meshuggah" on the other side. Check um out. I DARE you Evil%20SmileEvil%20SmileEvil%20SmileEvil%20SmileEvil%20Smile

Hehe I second that motion.
Meshuggah is so far removed from 80s hair metal. Absolutely crushing.
Avantgardehead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2008 at 05:33
Devin Townsend doesn't sound like a glam rocker, thankfully...
http://www.last.fm/user/Avantgardian
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2008 at 07:06
 Most of the prog metal bands are influence by the '80's metal - exactly hard and heavy and here and there some trash and powermetal. So why is not so obvious that the vocals, the manner of interpretation is took from that era. While symphonic prog bands are more influenced by the '70's prog, that why on some symphonic bands from today you may never found vocal parts like on Fates Warning for example, because they are influence by a diffrent kind of music and manner of interpretation. Always prog metal from today will be influenced by '80's metal, like symphonic or eclectic by the '70's, each genre with thier influence.
Norbert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2008 at 10:12
Rather Neurosis than  Meshuggah, if you ask me. That music really doesn't sound like glam metal.
 And  I actually like most DT and SX albums, and Spiral Architect, too.
keiser willhelm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2008 at 11:34
actually anything from the tech/post/experimental genre is very removed from almost anything that fits the classical prog metal description. cant think of one band that has that 80's style of vocals. 
Nil Recurring View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2008 at 12:35
Opeth
Music is no entertainment.. music is art! thread it that way
LeInsomniac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2008 at 16:17
Originally posted by Nil Recurring Nil Recurring wrote:

Opeth

I don't think so, but even so, it doesnt sound so bad as Rael is referring.

Happy Family One Hand Clap, Four Went On But None Came Back
~Rael~ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2008 at 18:20
I love Opeth. . . and I have never heard any 80s metal sounding lyrics. Unless there is on some of thier eralier stuff.

Pain of Salvation is my favorite band, but I'll check out those others. And I just listened to a track from Canvas Solaris on myspace. It is interesting, for sure.

And Meshuggah. I downloaded one of thier CDs, and couldn't get into it. Not enough meldoy, though the technacality is impressive.
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2008 at 03:28
Originally posted by Norbert Norbert wrote:

Rather Neurosis than  Meshuggah, if you ask me. That music really doesn't sound like glam metal.
 And  I actually like most DT and SX albums, and Spiral Architect, too.

Neurosis is so boring! If anything along those lines, he should listen to Isis or Cult of Luna. Just my opinion...I've always seen Neurosis as the guys who got the ball rolling, but not the perfectors, not to mention I don't find them too enjoyable either.

Actually, since this thread is about vocals, I would definitely recommend Cult of Luna over Isis and Neurosis. They have some of the strongest vocals in post-metal. I'd also look at *shels and The Pax Cecilia too.

Edited by Moatilliatta - August 30 2008 at 03:31
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
popeyethecat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2008 at 06:02
Picking the right type of vocals for Metal is VERY difficult. Hair Metal vocals? Death Metal vocals? Black Metal vocals? As much as I LOVE Metal (and not just the Prog stuff) pretty much ALL the vocal styles are...awful. Or you could go the other way and have Nightwish-y vocals, but although they can be very good, I'm not a fan of that either. The music is so aggressive that it's very difficult to get it right. I'd love to be in a band, but I can't do anywere near any of those styles (being female and not a soprano...or Angela Gossow).

So here's the question, whose vocals do you LIKE?
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2008 at 06:26
^Not singing like Angela Gossow is definitely a good thing!LOL

There are a lot of these "hair metal" type singers in Prog Metal, many growlers just arent good at it (even Akerfeldt on those first two albums) and lets not get started on Black Metal vocalsDead. But, there are some really strong, unique, powerfull and above all pleasent singers in any of the three metal sub genres here. The likes of Gildenlow, Toby Driver, Maynard James Keenan, Anneka van Giersbergan, Devin Townsend,  Akerfeldt, Dameon Wilson, July Kiss, Simmone Simons, Niko Knappe and many others are all excellent.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

hawkcwg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2008 at 15:47
yeah that stuff is annoying.
timesignature View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2008 at 15:51
ya, i dont like the high pitched 80's sound either. as for meshuga, that would be prog metal which really doesnt sound the same. between the buried and me, a life once lost, opeth. strictly in the prog rock section it is pretty much all 80's voice. i really like porcupine tree though. no high squeels there. Personally i love the alice in chains type vocals and wish a super technical, jazz theory prog rok band would come out with those type of vocals.
~Rael~ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2008 at 15:40
Originally posted by popeyethecat popeyethecat wrote:

Picking the right type of vocals for Metal is VERY difficult. Hair Metal vocals? Death Metal vocals? Black Metal vocals? As much as I LOVE Metal (and not just the Prog stuff) pretty much ALL the vocal styles are...awful. Or you could go the other way and have Nightwish-y vocals, but although they can be very good, I'm not a fan of that either. The music is so aggressive that it's very difficult to get it right. I'd love to be in a band, but I can't do anywere near any of those styles (being female and not a soprano...or Angela Gossow).

So here's the question, whose vocals do you LIKE?

Well, Pain of Salvation is my favorite band, and Gildenlow is the most talented vocalist I know of. Even though Gildenlow's voice can get to that high falsetto, he can pull it off. I'm not into death metal vocals, but Opeth is the exception, especially since Akerfeldt's clean vocals are very good. I like a mixture of screaming and singing in my metal, and prefer singing over screaming. All screaming and no singing can wear my down. I love Colors by Between the Buried and Me, but I wish they would sing a bit more. I love Tool.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>