Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMcCain or Obama

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 17181920>
Poll Question: John McCain or Barack Obama?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
21 [22.83%]
71 [77.17%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2008 at 13:28
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Originally posted by Atkingani Atkingani wrote:

John McCain proved today (or yesterday), when conceding victory to Barrack Obama to be a great man and a great US citizen; I believe he expects this kind of greatness regarding his supporters too.

So true Guigo, John McCain is a class act all the way and would have been a great president 8 years ago. Most of my family are Republicans and I warned then 8 years ago that they were making a big mistake picking Bush over McCain. I don't bug them about it, but I'm sure they agree with me now.

I was a huge McCain supporter in 2000.  If only...
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2008 at 13:30
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I'd rather have stayed out of the discussion (even if, as a future US citizen and the soon-to-be wife of one, I feel entitled to participate), but I'd like to add my endorsement of  what John just wrote above me. I wonder if one can be so oblivious to the extremely difficult situation of their own country, and wish death on someone just because they don't share that person's ideas, regardless of the havoc such an event would wreak on the country (not to mention at the international level). Therefore, I can't help thinking such fantasies are a tad disturbing, to say the least. Has hatred for one's adversary become stronger than love for one's own country's welfare?Confused

Believe it.  There are millions of Americans who, as I've mentioned upthread, WILL NOT TOLERATE an Obama presidency.  And, since they believe the ballot box has failed them, I have no doubt that many of them will resort to the cartridge box.

The next few years promise to be very interesting (as in the infamous ancient Chinese curse, "May you live in interesting times").

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2008 at 13:43
Let me tell you something... Embarrassed

I steadily opposed our present President, Lula da Silva, in the 1994 and 1998 Presidential elections here in Brazil and enjoyed greatly his defeat in either occasions.

In 1999, I met him casually in an airport and together with another folk I boarded him (who was with 2 friends too) and we talked there in the airport and later during the trip (between the cities of São Paulo and Rio). It was more than 1 hour of conversation and the guy got me. Lula da Silva reached only the equivalent of the 6th grade, he speaks with some language errors but is really a nice guy with fine proposals.

Well, not only for this meeting but after evaluating the situation, I voted for him in 2002 and he finally won and I gave him my vote for his re-election in 2006... problems remain but the achievements we got in these 6 years are ENORMOUS!!!

Well, things change, people change, yesterday we knew less than today and even lesser than tomorrow!

Guigo

~~~~~~
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2008 at 16:53
Originally posted by Atkingani Atkingani wrote:

Let me tell you something... Embarrassed

I steadily opposed our present President, Lula da Silva, in the 1994 and 1998 Presidential elections here in Brazil and enjoyed greatly his defeat in either occasions.

In 1999, I met him casually in an airport and together with another folk I boarded him (who was with 2 friends too) and we talked there in the airport and later during the trip (between the cities of São Paulo and Rio). It was more than 1 hour of conversation and the guy got me. Lula da Silva reached only the equivalent of the 6th grade, he speaks with some language errors but is really a nice guy with fine proposals.

Well, not only for this meeting but after evaluating the situation, I voted for him in 2002 and he finally won and I gave him my vote for his re-election in 2006... problems remain but the achievements we got in these 6 years are ENORMOUS!!!

Well, things change, people change, yesterday we knew less than today and even lesser than tomorrow!

Great story.  Clap

I wish there was a way for people to meet the people they vote for in person.  Television isn't always reliable.
horsewithteeth11 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2008 at 19:05

Originally posted by birdwithteeth11 birdwithteeth11 wrote:

Originally posted by Drew Drew wrote:

If I were a Veteran I would be so pissed.......
Speaking of which, I will begin taking bets on whether or not the U.S. will have completely pulled out of Iraq by this time next year.
On another side note, I will also be taking bets on possibilities of civil uprising and assassination attempts on President Obama in the next 4 years (don't laugh at the possibility of an assassination, since 1) there's plenty of skinheads out there who are even more pissed off than I am and 2) a U.S. president has been assassinated every 20 years for about the past 150 years or so, although Reagan and one other president who I can't remember right now managed to survive their assassination attempts). Not that I'm saying someone will try, but for some reason I see it being a possibility.

You were right about the riots after the election, we read your post and there was an immediate riot of laughter in our house.

I hope your assassination fantasies don't come true, it would be hard on his wife and daughters as well as the rest of the country.

Haven't you even bothered to notice how much some people in this country hate Obama? Like I said, I don't like Obama, but I have no plans of personally assassinating him and I'm not wishing for his death. I'm saying that there are some people out there, a lot of skinheads in particular, who I'm sure are foaming at the mouth because of him being elected. If you don't believe me, take a look at this
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/27/obama-assassination-plot_n_138297.html
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2008 at 19:10
Originally posted by zappaholic zappaholic wrote:

I'd rather have stayed out of the discussion (even if, as a future US citizen and the soon-to-be wife of one, I feel entitled to participate), but I'd like to add my endorsement of  what John just wrote above me. I wonder if one can be so oblivious to the extremely difficult situation of their own country, and wish death on someone just because they don't share that person's ideas, regardless of the havoc such an event would wreak on the country (not to mention at the international level). Therefore, I can't help thinking such fantasies are a tad disturbing, to say the least. Has hatred for one's adversary become stronger than love for one's own country's welfare?Confused

Believe it.  There are millions of Americans who, as I've mentioned upthread, WILL NOT TOLERATE an Obama presidency.  And, since they believe the ballot box has failed them, I have no doubt that many of them will resort to the cartridge box.

The next few years promise to be very interesting (as in the infamous ancient Chinese curse, "May you live in interesting times").

I just hope that some people aren't stupid enough to try and start massive riots or, worst case scenario, a direct attack on the government. Although in all honesty, our political cycle has always gone in cycles, so who's to say that 2010 or 2012 won't bring about another power shift in Washington D.C? Overall though, I guess I'm just worried about a lot of things potentially. Obama won the election clean and fair it seems, so I'm willing to give him a chance. But based on what I know/think of the man, he's going to be on a very short leash for me.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2008 at 20:17

I just hope that some people aren't stupid enough to try and start massive riots or, worst case scenario, a direct attack on the government. Although in all honesty, our political cycle has always gone in cycles, so who's to say that 2010 or 2012 won't bring about another power shift in Washington D.C? Overall though, I guess I'm just worried about a lot of things potentially. Obama won the election clean and fair it seems, so I'm willing to give him a chance. But based on what I know/think of the man, he's going to be on a very short leash for me.

Hi David, your posts are starting to improve, but I find your 'short leash' metaphor to be possibly 'tell tale'.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2008 at 20:21

Hi David, your posts are starting to improve, but I find your 'short leash' metaphor to be possibly 'tell tale'.

What do you mean by 'tell tale'? If you think I mean that I'm not going to give Obama much of a chance, then you're absolutely right. It's because I disagree with the man on so many issues, not just on politics but on life as well, so naturally I'm probably not going to like him.

If you're trying to imply something else, then just say it.

Edited by birdwithteeth11 - November 05 2008 at 20:22
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2008 at 20:23
I think McCane will win! Thumbs Up
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2008 at 20:28
LOL   mee to

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2008 at 21:27

What do you mean by 'tell tale'? If you think I mean that I'm not going to give Obama much of a chance, then you're absolutely right. It's because I disagree with the man on so many issues, not just on politics but on life as well, so naturally I'm probably not going to like him.If you're trying to imply something else, then just say it.

Don't be doggin him unless you got the bigger bone.
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2008 at 21:44

I don't think he meant anything by it. I really don't. It's just an expression.

There's no doubt on which side I'm on. I have my reasons and will apologize to nobody. I have a lot of concerns regarding Obama. That doesn't mean I think he's a bad person. I, too, am willing to give him a chance and maybe down the road I'll be proven wrong. For our country's sake, I sure hope I am.

E
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2008 at 22:57
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

I don't think he meant anything by it. I really don't. It's just an expression.There's no doubt on which side I'm on. I have my reasons and will apologize to nobody. I have a lot of concerns regarding Obama. That doesn't mean I think he's a bad person. I, too, am willing to give him a chance and maybe down the road I'll be proven wrong. For our country's sake, I sure hope I am.E

Yawl really don't get play on words do you? Check my above post and it might become clearer. Here's a clue: 'woof woof'.

P.S. ... or possibly this is the tale where the dog ends.

Edited by Easy Money - November 05 2008 at 23:19
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 07:17

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 07:54
Wel this is my theory and what it is ahem..............Barak Obama has a chance of becoming the next president of the USA. That is my theory and it is mine. Big smile
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 09:12

Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

I don't think he meant anything by it. I really don't. It's just an expression.There's no doubt on which side I'm on. I have my reasons and will apologize to nobody. I have a lot of concerns regarding Obama. That doesn't mean I think he's a bad person. I, too, am willing to give him a chance and maybe down the road I'll be proven wrong. For our country's sake, I sure hope I am.E

Yawl really don't get play on words do you? Check my above post and it might become clearer. Here's a clue: 'woof woof'.

P.S. ... or possibly this is the tale where the dog ends.

Woo boy...you really got me. Man, do I have egg on my face.

Could've handled it with a bit more tact. Simple mistake.

E
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 09:36
Hey E Dub, there is no egg on your face, we are just having fun, your a good sport though.

P.S. I may have voted for Obama, but I am a big fan of McCain, we would be in much better shape if he had been president the last 8 years.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 10:31
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

Wel this is my theory and what it is ahem..............Barak Obama has a chance of becoming the next president of the USA. That is my theory and it is mine. Big smile

Yes but is he thin at one end much, much thicker in the middle and then thin again at the small end?Tongue
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 11:07

P.S. I may have voted for Obama, but I am a big fan of McCain, we would be in much better shape if he had been president the last 8 years.

Seems to be the overwhelming consensus from both left and right. It's a pity that the reputation of one man meant the condemnation of another, however.

E
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 14:29
Tom Tomorrow:

We’ve regarded our leaders with dread and anxiety for so long, it has come to seem like the normal state of things. It has become a chronic pain, so much a part of our lives that we only really notice it when it subsides — and suddenly the relief is so overwhelming it becomes a tangible thing.

After eight years of an administration whose actions have run the gamut from stupid to venal, we will have a rational president who believes in things like, say, science. Who can string a succession of words together into a coherent sentence.

I confess, if McCain had won, my despair for this country would have been absolute. Instead, the cloud we’ve all been living under for so very long begins to lift, this morning.

The Republicans tried to win with hate and fear and division, and instead they failed. Spectacularly, definitively, repudiated in a landslide. And you know what I hope, at this moment? That Joe the Plumber becomes a widely-used symbol for all that has been wrong with America. That tv commentators invoke his name as shorthand for the politics of stupidity — “Maybe Joe the Plumber thinks we need to put all the Danish-Americans in internment camps, but no rational person agrees!” — and a heartfelt chuckle is had by all, and no more need be said, so universal is the understanding.

I very much want that to be the legacy of Joe the Plumber.

Off to the wilderness with them all. I have no doubt they’ll claw their way back eventually, but at the very least we’ve bought ourselves some breathing room, some time to try to repair the damage they’ve done to the very foundations of this country.

Uncategorized | -->

posted by Tom Tomorrow at 10:30 AM | link

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 17181920>