Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMcCain or Obama

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 20>
Poll Question: John McCain or Barack Obama?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
21 [22.83%]
71 [77.17%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2008 at 13:44

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2008 at 14:52
To all of those who insist in "vote third party" or something like that:

Please... you'll be wating your vote. I know, principles should dictate this and a huge amount of nule votes or third-party votes could send the two big parties a signal of the people waking up.... But this IS NOT THE TIME. A third term of Bush CAN'T be allowed to happen!

Vote POSITIVELY please.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2008 at 15:03
Here's an s for T Tongue, or perhaps you are missing an i?

Obama Unharmed by Rabid Chihuahua Attack

Link

Excerpt:
During a campaign event over the weekend, Barack Obama found himself distracted by an odd tugging
at his pant leg. He looked down and discovered a tiny chihuahua ferociously chewing on his ankle.
Instinctively, his aides rushed in to whisk the Senator off to the nearest emergency room, but in the end
this proved to be necessary. For all its growling and gnashing of teeth, the animal had failed to break
the skin. As a matter of fact, Obama suffered no discernible injury whatsoever other than an uncomfortable
moist and slightly sticky sensation. He was so nonchalant about the so-called attack that he didn't even
bother to remove the thing as it continued to munch on him.

Edited by Slartibartfast - September 23 2008 at 06:28
johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2008 at 15:43
What drives me nuts is the abortion issue.  People vote strictly on the candidate that goes along with their beliefs on abortion.  While it certainly is a big deal to a lot of people it isn't like the Prez can shoot into office and change the law overnight.  There are many other issues that we should be worried about that the president can actually have an affect on.  I like that Obama has downplayed the issue because it should not be the deciding matter. And either way they lean, they are screwed.  It is so divisive and there is no way to change people's minds about it, that I wish they would just leave it off the table.
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2008 at 15:47
Originally posted by johnobvious johnobvious wrote:

What drives me nuts is the abortion issue.  People vote strictly on the candidate that goes along with their beliefs on abortion.  While it certainly is a big deal to a lot of people it isn't like the Prez can shoot into office and change the law overnight.  There are many other issues that we should be worried about that the president can actually have an affect on.  I like that Obama has downplayed the issue because it should not be the deciding matter. And either way they lean, they are screwed.  It is so divisive and there is no way to change people's minds about it, that I wish they would just leave it off the table.

Actually the abortion issue is tangentially related to what I think is the most significant and long lasting impact of any administration - the appointment of Supreme Court justices.  Not sure that if the court continued to go conservative it would necessarily lead to overturning Roe, but that's the fear of pro-choice folks - they feel that at least with a Democratic president they would get liberal justices and the status quo would be preserved.

I do agree that while most have a strong opinion on the matter, it probably shouldn't be the sole deciding factor, particularly in light of our seemingly insurmountable fiscal problems.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2008 at 15:58
The Supreme Court certainly is a big deal and I certainly don't want a president who is appointing justices solely on the abortion issue.  Actions like those are a travesty.
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2008 at 23:23
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

To all of those who insist in "vote third party" or something like that:

Please... you'll be wating your vote. I know, principles should dictate this and a huge amount of nule votes or third-party votes could send the two big parties a signal of the people waking up.... But this IS NOT THE TIME. A third term of Bush CAN'T be allowed to happen!

Vote POSITIVELY please.

waste |wāst|
verb
1 [ trans. ] use or expend carelessly, extravagantly, or to no purpose

vote |vōt|
noun
a formal indication of a choice between two or more candidates or courses of action, expressed typically through a ballot or a show of hands or by voice.
• an act of expressing such an indication of choice
• ( the vote) the right to indicate a choice in an election.

If the populous and electoral college decide to go for McCain. Then thats 4 years we live with. Same way if they vote Obama. If thats who they intend to vote for then their vote is not wasted. Likewise, if I or anyone else decide to vote for a third party candidate because we don't want anything to do with the other clowns on the ballot.   
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2008 at 23:52
McCain

Obama has far too many question marks for me

topofsm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2008 at 00:21
Originally posted by johnobvious johnobvious wrote:

Yes I completely agree. I am entirely against abortion and I have definetely some strong opinions about it. It's probably the biggest deciding factor in many of my opinions.

However, I was appalled when I was at a pro-life dinner (actually, I was a waiter there), and that the speaker there (fantastic, by the way) was convincing people that they should vote against Obama solely for the reason that he voted pro abortion 4 times. The way I see it, we need to get our country out of its economic situation first so we don't go into another depression, and then we can worry about about abortion. In my opinion, Obama is more suited for that.

However, don't go too much by me. I know terribly little about politics.Embarrassed

stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2008 at 00:31
Abortion.

1. I believe that people are the sole masters of their bodies.
2. If you feel any amount of love for a mere fertilized egg, especially not your own, you ae crazy.
3. Anything after the 1st trimester is kinda nope for me.
4. Coat hangers
5. May never agree on when life begins.
6. In reality, men should never, ever have a say in abortion. It is not the government's choice, it is not the preacher's choice, it is not the husband's choice, and until God shows himself, it is not his decision. It is only the woman's decision.

Stern%20Smile

IMO.

Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2008 at 00:54
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Abortion.1. I believe that people are the sole masters of their bodies.2. If you feel any amount of love for a mere fertilized egg, especially not your own, you ae crazy.3. Anything after the 1st trimester is kinda nope for me.4. Coat hangers5. May never agree on when life begins.6. In reality, men should never, ever have a say in abortion. It is not the government's choice, it is not the preacher's choice, it is not the husband's choice, and until God shows himself, it is not his decision. It is only the woman's decision.Stern%20SmileIMO.

Not bad Knut the Polar bear aka Stonebeard, it isn't an easy issue by any means, but I think you are on the right track with this one, aka that's my similar multi-faceted approach to this very complicated 'issue'   P.S. It's more than just an 'issue' for the many of us males who have had a child taken away without consent, yet who still recognize that this is a woman's decision.

Edited by Easy Money - September 23 2008 at 00:59
KoS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2008 at 01:19

Abortion.

1. I believe that people are the sole masters of their bodies.
2. If you feel any amount of love for a mere fertilized egg, especially not your own, you ae crazy.
3. Anything after the 1st trimester is kinda nope for me.
4. Coat hangers
5. May never agree on when life begins.
6. In reality, men should never, ever have a say in abortion. It is not the government's choice, it is not the preacher's choice, it is not the husband's choice, and until God shows himself, it is not his decision. It is only the woman's decision.

Stern%20Smile

IMO.

you forgot one: Crime control.
The higher the abortion rate, the less crime.

Edited by KoS - September 23 2008 at 01:20
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2008 at 06:19

Abortion.

6. In reality, men should never, ever have a say in abortion.

Ah, the abortion issue.  My wife's totally in agreement with you on that bit of 6.  I have a bit of a more nuanced position.  I don't see why men shouldn't have a say, particularly if they've provided half the genetic material and female pregnancy is still the way we all got here.  However, I recognize that some men really aren't deserving of a say or it would be too dangerous to give them a say.  And whenever two people who really care for each other are involved, you can be sure the man will most likely be given a say.  Still, the woman should have the last word.

Even though I do believe life begins at conception since that's when a unique set of genetic material is generated, it's still not a baby at that stage.  My sperm is alive, too, but it's not a baby.  And lord knows I've slaughtered a lot of those guys.  Seriously, every fertilized egg does not implant.  So that must make God one of the greatest abortionists in history.

Regarding question marks and Obama, there's no question in my mind that a Palin McCain presidency would not be good for this country.

Never forget that Palin and her daughter got to exercise their right to choose.  And Palin, quite a few times.

Against abortion?  Then don't have one!

Michael%20on%20the%20Gulf%20of%20Finland,%20near%20Tallinn

Wait a second!  What's that doing here?!?

Edited by Slartibartfast - September 23 2008 at 06:41
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2008 at 09:38
I certainly don't want this thread to move into a pro-choice or pro-life discussion.  I just wanted to make the point that I wish it would not be the overriding factor to a lot of people when they vote.  I won't even state my views on abortion.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2008 at 13:30
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Well, at least I hope so. 

McC got a convention bump, but lately poll number crunching site http://www.electoral-vote.com/
has him with a comfortable electoral college lead.

Not that comfortable I think.  If Ohio and Virginia were to go red, we'd have a tie.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2008 at 13:50
Give some credit to Obama here, just read that he admits all his spending plans might have to be suspended in light of this bailout.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2008 at 19:40
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Well, at least I hope so. 

McC got a convention bump, but lately poll number crunching site http://www.electoral-vote.com/
has him with a comfortable electoral college lead.

Not that comfortable I think.  If Ohio and Virginia were to go red, we'd have a tie.

Nooooo!!! not a tie.  Oh, who am I kidding, it would serve us right. Tongue

Now that I've seen this I just might vote for McC:

"Subject: Welfare for the rich

America is now a place where the working poor pay welfare to the rich. What a country! 

The working class bailing out the investor class and the investor class pays a far lower tax rate 
(capital gains) than working class people who pay payroll taxes. So when the rich were making 
money  they got to keep it but when they start losing money the working class people have to give 
700 billion in welfare to the stock market. The investors want the government to stay out of it when 
it come to regulation, but when the housing pyramid falls apart it falls on the taxpayer to bail them out.

If we are going to be stuck paying their bill shouldn't we at least repeal the capital gains tax cuts 
and the tax cuts for the rich to pay off this new debt?   700 billion dollars is a lot of debt. 
That's 2800 more bridges to nowhere on top of a 40,000 bridges to nowhere national debt. 

I think that the people who can't remember how many houses they own should pay off this debt 
rather than putting it on those of us who don't own a home.

Marc Perkel
San Bruno, CA"
http://www.bartcop.com/

Sarah Quaylin

Link

Excerpt:
Ever since McCain chose Sarah Palin as his running mate, I've gotten confused about all the reasons I'm 
supposed to dislike Obama. The previous reasons were his lack of experience, his empty rhetoric, his flip-flopping, 
and his 'celebrity.' But Palin has made each one of those critiques moot. The 'celebrity' attack on Obama 
has a particularly Dada quality right now as starstruck Republicans bask in the charisma of their adorable veep. 
(Coldest state, hottest governor, read signs at her rallies.) With her hunky husband, touching family life and 
plucky personal story, she is the candidate of the People. And by People, I mean People magazine.

"The main complaint against Palin has been her lack of experience. That's fortunate for her, since 'experience' 
-- especially measured in a linear way -- fails to capture exactly what Palin lacks. Yes, two years as governor
is less than you'd like, as is four years as senator. The real problem, though, is that Palin has no record of 
thinking about national or international policy."

Edited by Slartibartfast - September 24 2008 at 13:42
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 03:53
Some of the images being posted in this thread cross the line between satire/humour and bad taste.

Please keep our respect for all rules in mind here.
Lystmaler View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 04:14
I'm not American but if  I was I'd be voting Obama. I'm a realist and I'd spend my vote on a realistic party as opposed to a party more in line with my view. The reason is that I'd rather see the US take a step in the right direction then to risk having them keep on heading back to the stone ages like they are doing now with Bush in charge and as they'll keep on doing with McCain in charge.
fusionfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2008 at 09:49
If Barack wins,you and us will breathe easier,unfortunately it won't be enough to put our planet back in
shape.Our world needs more freedom,friendship,peace,love and prog! 
I was born in the land of Mahavishnu,not so far from Kobaia.I'm looking for the world

of searchers with the help from

crimson king
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 20>