Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow would you rate the pelican CDs and EPs?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: How would you rate the pelican CDs and EPs?
    Posted: September 04 2008 at 12:46
I took the advice from a couple people on here and bought COE and Fire in our Throats. I like these two a lot and listen to them a  bunch. I'm wondering what I should buy next from Pelican. I'm guessing none of their other releases can compare to the two I have, but maybe they have other audio (I'm not into DVD's)releases worth getting. Any help is appreciated.
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2008 at 23:24
Well, you have the two I would have suggested first. The Fire in Our Throats... is a masterpiece; City of Echoes is a great follow up, and a good showcase of their songwriting in shorter formats. I would also recommend their first full-length, Australasia, which is a bit heavier and doomy and content-wise is just as consistent and enjoyable. It's fair to say that all of the albums are near equal. Also, it's worth checking out their March into the Sea EP. It's the full, 20 minute version of the song you will recognize as "March to the Sea," plus a remix of "Angel Tears" from Australasia. The debut, self-titled EP is alright, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're really into the group and already have everything else
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2008 at 00:02
The Fire In Our Throats.. Is one of worst albums I have ever heard. I consider myself to be fairly open mined when it comes to music- but I will never listen to this band again after listening to this album twice through. Yes, I gave it two chances. 

bearsfan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2008 at 02:11
Originally posted by Moatilliatta Moatilliatta wrote:

Well, you have the two I would have suggested first. The Fire in Our Throats... is a masterpiece; City of Echoes is a great follow up, and a good showcase of their songwriting in shorter formats. I would also recommend their first full-length, Australasia, which is a bit heavier and doomy and content-wise is just as consistent and enjoyable. It's fair to say that all of the albums are near equal. Also, it's worth checking out their March into the Sea EP. It's the full, 20 minute version of the song you will recognize as "March to the Sea," plus a remix of "Angel Tears" from Australasia. The debut, self-titled EP is alright, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're really into the group and already have everything else

Do you have the self titled EP? One review on amazon (unreliable, I know) said "In The Woods" (or something like that) was an amazing epic song and worth the price alone.  Also, another reviewer on amazon said the March into the Sea from the EP was March into the Sea with flutes and bowed guitar and untitled song #4 from Fire in our Throats. I wonder if he was right. I checked the song lengths. The EP version of MITS is only a few minutes longer than the Fire in Our Throats versions of MITS and Untitled.
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2008 at 12:15
Well, I've never been compelled to listen to the EP in a long time. It just doesn't do much for me. You're welcome to try it out for yourself, though.

And the statement about "March into the Sea" is untrue.
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
Stegnotron View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2008 at 08:30
Contrary to many others, I really like the self titled EP.
It's heavy, more sludge than the other EPs and LPs.
 Post Reply Post Reply