Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAlan White a Prog Drummer?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: What genre or style do you consider Alan's playing?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
23 [50.00%]
21 [45.65%]
1 [2.17%]
1 [2.17%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alan White a Prog Drummer?
    Posted: September 06 2008 at 23:00
Well the question for me was that if Alan White is really a Prog drummer, at least the style, ala Bruford, Collins, Peart, Bozzio, etc.

Listening to Tales gives a really bad impression of his playing, being very simple and dull. While in Relayer his playing is very powerful, but I would consider it a more Rock style playing rather than a Prog style as I imagine Bruford playing on Relayer, jazzy leanings, etc.

And well in the last Yes outputs, his playing is rather simple.

I don't want people to come and say: "Have you heard Yessongs?!" Of course I have, but the compositions were made with Bruford not with Alan..

BTW: This is not a poll to decide wheather(?) Alan is a good drummer or not, it's if his stlye of drumming is Prog or not.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2008 at 23:03
White played with the Plastic Ono Band and a variety of other British rock outfits before he got the Yes gig.
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2008 at 23:07
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

White played with the Plastic Ono Band and a variety of other British rock outfits before he got the Yes gig.

interesting info, thx, I should have searched a little more..
Yorkie X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2008 at 23:14
I like White more than Bruford & Collins .. his drum tuning and deep toms  mean buisness he drives the beat home no sissy approach just a powerful direct at times complicated but most of the time backbone to the music, a bit like my all time favourite drummer Phil Ehart from Kansas ...

He is Prog Rock no questions about it, which is why Yes hired him in the first place and that choice turned out to be a pretty good one  Wink

Edited by Yorkie X - September 07 2008 at 04:49
febus View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2008 at 23:24
SO i guess he can play everything.
If YES kept him on the payroll for how long now? 35 years !!, i assume he can play like a progger as well, sure he is more business than subtetlies, but i didn't cry of despair when he took over BrufordThumbs%20Up
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2008 at 23:28
Originally posted by Yorkie X Yorkie X wrote:

I like White more than Bruford & Collins .. his drum tuning and deep toms  mean buisness he drives the beat home no sissy approach just a powerful direct at times complicated but most of the time backbone to the music, a bit like my all time favourite drummer Phil Ehart from Kansas ...

I agree, I think White wins for tone (i.e. Drama), both Bruford and Collins also have a very nice sound but White was more powerful in the studio

Anderson III View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2008 at 03:36
I've actually always found similarities in White and Peart's style of drumming. Peart sounds somewhat more precise, but both are powerful and fast. And I disagree on the notion that White's playing is simple. When I think of Yes' music, one of the first words that come to mind is complex! When the music is so multilayered as it is, it's pretty much impossible for the drums to stay simple. I think White's a prog drummer.
"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and cannot remain silent" - Victor Hugo
Phil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2008 at 06:49
Intertsting poll - as you say there's no doubt he's an excellent drummer. His work on "Tales" struck me as a bit of a struggle to come to terms with the band; "Relayer" was just about the best drumm (and bass) perfomance on any album of any genre. Overall when I listen to White I do think he is more a hard rock drummer.
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2008 at 07:43
Great poll, Pablo, been thinking the same sort of thing for a while, myself, though I don't know too much of his work.

Personally, I'm veering towards a yes. Remembering the rather unusual work on The Ancient as well as his really directional work on The Gates Of Delirium. I agree that he's a bit more rock-focused than most of the 'prog' drummers I listen to, and he definitely comes from that direction, but he has done some pretty interesting and superb stuff in the prog arena.
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2008 at 08:14
Definitely prog  - just listen to his performances on Relayer and GFTO. He's a tad more muscular than Bruford (on Sound Chaser he's playing possibly the first ever example of jazz metal) but his work on tracks like Turn of the Century or Awaken is as prog as drumming gets.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2008 at 10:59
He is not too progressive, although he sure can play so if he wants to (Relayer). I´d say he is the "rockiest" part of Yes
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2008 at 12:52
Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

He is not too progressive, although he sure can play so if he wants to (Relayer). I´d say he is the "rockiest" part of Yes

I agree with "rockiest part of Yes"

For the rest that say his playing on Relayer is proggy, I just find it to be the clearest example of what I mean. His playing on Gates of Delirium is full of power and energy as I said at the begining, but the style is clearly Rock or Hard Rock, with some Prog leanings of course. Sound Chaser well yeah, but just imagine Bill Bruford playing on this one!
AGAIN! I'm not saying he's a bad drummer, just that his style isn't Prog. He's a fine Rock Drummer that plays in a AMAZING Prog band.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2008 at 13:00
he's played with Yes for more years than many here have been alive hahahha.  Sure he is.. what else would he be?  If he's not..just what is Peart... as someone noted earlier.. very much in the same style.. which was suited for big stadiums and concerts.. a hard hitting rock drummer with enough chops to play prog.  Bruford for example was the first to admit he wasn't.  
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2008 at 13:02
Originally posted by Syzygy Syzygy wrote:

Definitely prog  - just listen to his performances on Relayer and GFTO. He's a tad more muscular than Bruford (on Sound Chaser he's playing possibly the first ever example of jazz metal) but his work on tracks like Turn of the Century or Awaken is as prog as drumming gets.

I really love that track because for many reasons I think it was really ahead of its time.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2008 at 13:13
Voted Yes, for reasons provided by others already.

You should also check out White's recent work with Circa some time, although he's a bit overpowered there by Billy Sherwood's bass some of the time.

Edited by Angelo - September 07 2008 at 13:13
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
fusionfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2008 at 14:35
Alan White surely is one of the best rock drummers(he played with Joe Cocker and John Lennon for example),a great session man and he did and still does outstanding stuff in Yes so he clearly can play
in a prog style:I very much enjoy his playing throughout Tales but he's not a prog drummer stricto sensu.
He still rocks so that's great!
I was born in the land of Mahavishnu,not so far from Kobaia.I'm looking for the world

of searchers with the help from

crimson king
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2008 at 17:15
Not sure that there is such a thing as a "prog" drummer.  A good drummer should be able to play most styles. White's background is in rock and Bruford is a jazz drummer but they both fitted into Yes ok.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2008 at 02:12
Well, i played drums for many years and I never known how people define a Prog drummer.

Having a well developed and technical style?

Most Jazz drummers have a great technique.

Drummers as Palmer, who is an icon, is IMO more strength than technique, not that he is bad, but he's not in the level of a Peart, Bruford, Ehart, Manu Katche or even Collins.

A good Rock drummer can play Prog, Pop or Punk, maybe not Jazz because it's a different technique, if you place Peart in The Who or The Rolling Stones, I'm sure he'll make an outstanding job.

A Prog drummer is one that has played in a Prog band, and White has played in Yes for decades, what else do you want.

Iván

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2008 at 08:25
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Well, i played drums for many years and I never known how people define a Prog drummer.

Having a well developed and technical style?

Most Jazz drummers have a great technique.

Drummers as Palmer, who is an icon, is IMO more strength than technique, not that he is bad, but he's not in the level of a Peart, Bruford, Ehart, Manu Katche or even Collins.

A good Rock drummer can play Prog, Pop or Punk, maybe not Jazz because it's a different technique, if you place Peart in The Who or The Rolling Stones, I'm sure he'll make an outstanding job.

A Prog drummer is one that has played in a Prog band, and White has played in Yes for decades, what else do you want.

Iván

I couldn't have said this any better.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2008 at 09:40
He's got to be prog for me, Pablo.  His work in GFTO, Gates (Yesshows version) and Drama stand out. Very versatile, and very good.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>