Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Tribute Bands and Prog Radio
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRun, Don't Walk! Lez Zeppelin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Run, Don't Walk! Lez Zeppelin
    Posted: September 14 2008 at 02:14
Lez Zeppelin
Fillmore East, NYC
9/13/08

No, that's not a typo: it's "Lez."  And no, you should not laugh.  Lez Zeppelin is an NYC-based all-female band that does a serious butt-kicking tribute to Zep that is second to none.

Around for a few years building up their...presence, they gained increasing notoriety as something quite a bit more than a novelty: a tribute band that could really play the music of the group they were paying tribute to - a group that Spin Magazine called "the most powerful all-female band in rock history," The New York Times noting that they have "attitude to burn," and CNN simply calling them "electrifying."

Having seen them for the first time, I would add: it is doubtful that the remaining members of Zep could do what these gals do - and I saw Zep live twice, so I know of what I speak.  Lez Zeppelin all but channels Zep live in their heyday - with stunning accuracy, yet with a raw energy that goes from exciting to mesmerizing to positively jaw-dropping.

No small credit goes to their relatively new drummer, Helen Destroy, who channels John Bonham better than his own son, Jason.  In fact, having seen dozens of Zep tribute bands over the past three decades, I can state with certainty that I have never seen a better, more "appropriate" Bonham - period; she not only knows the parts, but she accurately creates the power of his "sound" - something every Bonham worshipper attempts, but rarely achieves.

Yet as important as Destroy is in her role, the other ladies fully measure up.  Lisa Brigantino (bass, keys, mandolin) is simply one of the best hard rock bassists I have ever seen: solid and accurate, with an energy that seems limitless.  And Sarah McLellan (vocals) actually out-Plants Plant, not only because she can hit notes that he only wishes he could still hit, but also because she has stage presence to spare.  But, of course, any Zep band ultimately revolves around the Page figure.  And this Page has quite a figure!  (Sorry, I couldn't help myself!  LOL).  Actually, Steph Paynes (guitar, theremin) not only measures up, but exceeds all expectations.  Her guitar work is nothing short of breathtaking: she not only knows the parts, but she understands how Page plays, and recreates his style, not just his notes: her solos in Immigrant Song and Heartbreaker were as good or better than any solos I have ever heard Page play live.  Think I'm hopelessly exaggerating?  Don't be so quick unless you have heard her.  And she moves like Page, with his "strange" leg kicks and quasi-drunk moves around the stage.

At this show, the band opened by playing Led Zeppelin II in its entirety.  Hearing the opening notes of Whole Lotta Love played properly - perfectly - had me from "hello."  Standouts included What Is and What Should Never Be (beautiful slide work from Payne), The Lemon Song (McLellan at her "come on" best), Heartbreaker (with Payne's first brilliant solo) and Moby Dick (Destroy nailed it the way every drummer would like to).  The band was frighteningly tight, and clearly having lots of fun.

And I thought they couldn't be any better.  Oops!

Immigrant Song was not only super-tight and mesmerizing, but, as noted, provided a Payne solo that simply defied any attempt to find a superlative for it.  But the best was yet to come.  The band launched into a jaw-dropping rendition of In My Time of Dying that all but brought the house down.  Payne's Page-perfect slide work, McLellan's sinuous vocals, and Brigantino's and Destroy's rock-solid foundation gave this one a jolt that probably even surprised the band.  I saw Zep play this live for the first time, and I can tell you that this was damn close to being as good.  Next up was No Quarter, with Brigantino providing the keys and bass pedals, and the band turning it into a jam that provided not only some inspired playing from Brigantino, but yet more exceptional work from Payne.  And then...

Kashmir.  What can I say?  Not one person spoke, not one person was in the bars, lobby or bathrooms, not one bottle was popped open, not one sound other than the band - and every mouth open in utter amazement.  I kid you not.  With precious few exceptions, I have never heard any tribute band play any song better than this.  You could have closed your eyes and truly believed that Zep was performing at their peak.  It was truly a sight and sound to behold.

After a short standing ovation, the band returned to play Rock and Roll and Black Dog, both note-perfect and full of honest energy.  After an extended second ovation, they came back to play The Ocean, which had every bit as much sincerity and energy as Whole Lotta Love: i.e., they never flagged, and could probably have played all night with no loss of excitement.

I have seen many, many tribute bands in my time.  My favorite still remains The Musical Box (only because I like Genesis a tad more than Zep).  But Lez Zeppelin is without question my second fave.  And like the old car rental ad notes, they do try harder.  (TMB has sadly been "going through the motions" lately.)  And they create an infectious energy that grabs you by the throat and simply does not let you go.

If you want to see them, they have a few shows remaining in the states before they take off for Japan, Europe and other faraway places.  Their remaining dates are as follows:

9/19.  Burlington, VT (Higher Ground)
9/20.  Cambridge, MA (Middle East)
9/25.  Pittsburgh, PA (Diesel)
9/26.  Falls Church, VA (State Theater)
9/27.  Towson, MD (Recher Theater)

If you are not as impressed as I was, well...I'll eat my double-neck guitar!

Peace.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2008 at 13:41
Well, this is the first I have heard about them.  How do they compare to Dred Zeppelin? (who I have head of but also have not actually heard)...
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2008 at 14:45

Well, of course, Dread Zeppelin is something of a parody band, with an Elvis impersonator singing Led Zep songs with a solid back-up band.  So there really is no comparison here.  Lez Zeppelin is a true tribute band, performing the songs as fans remember them, with a particular emphasis on getting Zep's "live" sound and performance down pat.  And as my review mildly indicates (LOL), they succeed in spades.

Peace.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2008 at 15:19
Sound like a wonderful experience, I envy you.

Cheers,
fusionfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2008 at 08:39
I've heard about them in a rock magazine and the critic said they were very convincing.If I can,I will give
them a try.
I was born in the land of Mahavishnu,not so far from Kobaia.I'm looking for the world

of searchers with the help from

crimson king
 Post Reply Post Reply