Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Jeff Wayne Special (War o' the Worlds)

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: What's the best track?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [20.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [40.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [20.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [20.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Jeff Wayne Special (War o' the Worlds)
    Posted: September 15 2008 at 02:45
So basically, in classic Whistler fashion, I've downloaded the album in as scattershot a manner as possible, so I'm sure my version is all mutated and deformed and everything.

But, seriously folks, here are my notes concerning Mr. Wayne's fine product (leaving out any reference to the man himself).

1) All the best material is on the first disc. Seriously, the disco stomp of the opening track, and mandolin and wah-wah riffage of "Horsell Common," the opera stomp of "Thunderchild." I even like the showtune comglomoration of "The Artillaryman!"

2) The best song though is probably Justin's power number "Forever Autumn." I mean, it's the thing that works best even outside the album. No lyrics about invaders from Mars or the spirits of men. And yet, the Burton narrations and everything still fit perfectly. Huh.

3) The second disc is...not so fun. Well, maybe that's wrong; the over the top "Spirit of Man" and "Brave New World" are good for a chuckle, but "Red Weed 1" gives me the bores. "Weed 2" works slightly better, since it moves, and "Dead London" chugs along healthfully after a while.

4) But the VERY end is suckage. Seriously, "Epilogue 2" is plain retarded. The vocal actor sounds particularly brainless, and the dialogue seems like it was lifted from an episode of Scooby Doo. Not to mention that, from a plot-point point of view, it makes no sense.

Oh, and, if that WAS Jefferson G. Wayne reading "Epilogue 2" off of cue cards, then I'm sorry I brought up his devious lil' personage again after promising I wouldn't. But, seriously folks, it was a long weird couple of weeks hunting this puppy down the hard way, but I'm guiltily pleased I did.
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
RaphaelT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2008 at 15:58
Did you smoke the red weed? Nope - Scary Movie 4Wink
yet you still have time!
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2008 at 16:02
Actually, part 2 of the story terrifies me when listening. Spirit Of Man and Dead London are hotspots.

Since I mostly love the album, I think the moments I wouldn't pick so much are the transitional ones - Forever Autumn, as a melodic song, the Red Weed interventions, as simple narrations and musical leitmotives. The rest, for me, is pure bliss.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2008 at 18:31
A big concept album has no hit single on it its just a musical story and needs wholesomeness to enjoy . That and a stinging death ray.
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
 Post Reply Post Reply