Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedO’2L

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: O’2L
    Posted: April 15 2005 at 00:01

[Note: This will be moved to "Bands on Tour" within 36 hours]

All:

I just heard a really good new group that I would classify as rock-jazz fusion.  They are called O'2L (pronounced "O'Toole"), and they are currently touring with (of all people) Basia (who I absolutely love!).  As usual when an unknown opening band takes the stage when the audience is eager for the headliner, very few people knew who they were - or cared.  But by the end of their first, mildly extended composition (they are instrumental; no vocals), they had the entire audience.  And they only got better.

The band is fronted by a husband/wife team (I wonder how many others there have been: can anyone name one?).  The wife plays piano, as well as arranging and producing the group.  She is really excellent, and has apparently toured with Trans Siberian Orchestra.  Her name is Jane Mangini.  Her husband has apparently played with, among others, Megadeth, Savatage and Asia.  His name is Al Pitrelli, and he's a really excellent player, with equal command of jazz, straight rock, and even "prog" in the vein of Holdsworth et al.

I'm not entirely certain I would classify them as "prog," though they have many of the elements: extended compositions, multi-keyboards (there is a second keyboardist), excellent use of dynamics and section changes, and even a few non-standard time signatures.

In any event, I encourage you to check them out if you can.  They've just released their first album, called "Doyle's Bunch."  Based on what I heard at the show, I'm betting the album is pretty darn good.

Peace.

Post Reply Post Reply