Topic ClosedUnsigned Bands Q2/Q3 2008

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unsigned Bands Q2/Q3 2008
    Posted: September 21 2008 at 16:24

As pointed out correctly by our much appreciated Prog Archives collaborator Ricochet, an update of what is happening in Unsigned Bands is long overdue. If I had known beforehand what life would have in store for me both in the real world and in our little virtual world on Prog Archives, I would never have promised a quarterly update. Oh well, too late for that now, so let's just move on.
One thing should be mentioned though: I'm very thankful that our Site Monitors and other collaborators have not forgotten to check in on Unsigned Bands every once in a while, and even moved some bands into the archives.

Back to the main topic, here's a short list of bands that deserve your attention, for various reasons. Have a listen, comment on the forums and become aware that there is a lot of prog talent out there - beyond what has been adopted by the record industry.
Don't stop reading to quickly - I saved the best for last!

Paul Cusick is a veteran guitarist exploring the prog realm. His demos were well received here, and he's currenlty being evaluated for inclusion in the archives.

Spleen Arcana is a band I only heard briefly myself, but they received some positive attention here. As they say themselves, they may not be 'as prog as the usual suggestions', but listening can't hurt.

Mourning Knight is one of the oldest 'members' of the Unsigned Bands forum. One of the few side project of Ceiling Unlimited's Jason Brower, Mourning Knight is heavily influenced by 70's prog. Despite having no plans for an album release, this is a band worth checking out.

Sentient Motion is an Irish duo promising a mix of Jazz and metal. I haven't been able to check them out myself, but the combination sounds promising.

Zundapp are an Italian Heavy Prog band, recently included in the archives. They have picked up where Jethro Tull left the track of Progressive Blues. Wholeheartedly recommended - if not by me, then by Atavachron.

Akhenathon made me doubt, as I always do when prog metal is concerned - when does metal become prog metal. In this case, a few listens and a heads up with fandango made us decided on experimental heavy prog with metal influences. That should encourage the right people to have a listen - doesn't it?

Vigilante is a partner of Mourning Knight, both in terms of the era that influenced them, and their membership of the Unsigned Bands forum. I have not heard of a pending release any time soon, but those who like old prog should have a go t them.

Oniric have been proposed for evaluation in Post Rock last month, and they have a few downloads available - check the thread for some reviews by our valued member Mandrakeroot.

Edensong is the icing of the cake in this list. A metal influenced, eclectic project that started out as a project for a progressive rock opera, and ended in an album containing parts of that effort in a sort of concept album. They were included in PA over summer, and hopefully will be touring soon. Recommended for all who love modern prog and don't mind a bit of heavy guitarwork.

There's no promise on when there will be a next edition of this Unsigned Band blog, but this will definitely not be the last one. See you all in the Unsigned bands forum. Just one thing: if you really care about these bands, listen through the production quality, don't forget these bands have limited or no access to expensive, high quality studio equipment, and PCs still cannot cover all that a studio can.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2008 at 16:29
ClapClap

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2008 at 18:36
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

Zundapp are an Italian Heavy Prog band, recently included in the archives. They have picked up where Jethro Tull left the track of Progressive Blues. Wholeheartedly recommended - if not by me, then by Atavachron.

you got that right, baby.. I've even been thinking of PMing our Zundapp member here and begging for a comp of the album LOL Embarrassed

burritounit View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2008 at 18:46
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

Oniric have been proposed for evaluation in Post Rock last month, and they have a few downloads available - check the thread for some reviews by our valued member Mandrakeroot.

Oniric is a though one to decide they have a bit of a post rock influence but not entirely...has any other team checked this band??
"I've walked on water, run through fire, can't seem to feel it anymore. It was me, waiting for me..."
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2008 at 11:57
Not that I know of - perhaps it's best to write that same comment in their unsigned thread. Thanks for responding, Sebastian.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
burritounit View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2008 at 12:11
Alright, Angelo...I'll do that. Thanks.
"I've walked on water, run through fire, can't seem to feel it anymore. It was me, waiting for me..."
Wilde View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2009 at 17:37
http://www.myspace.com/vianegativa1

A band that really should be checked out - Via Negativa - Prog Metal - try the Myspace above and have a listen, you won't be disappointed.Wink

Wilde
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2009 at 18:07
Thanks, I will - and welcome to the site. But: could you post these things in the Unsigned Bands forum instead of here, so they won't get lost?
ISKC Rock Radio
chaos8619 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2009 at 01:15
I discover this year a great band from Romania who play a unique blend of krautrock,electronic  and folk/world music who is called NU & Apa Neagra (in english No and Black Water).
They have release an album last yer called Omag to the german label Lollipoppe.
http://www.myspace.com/projectnu this link is to their MySpace page.
I hope this band will be added son to ProgArchives
aardwolf View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2009 at 13:36
Your attention to unsigned prog is a blessing to struggling musicians like myself, Angelo, and I suspect by the pic and your words that you are one as well. I've just completed a prog/fusion cd entirely self-produced in every sense of the term and am finding it difficult to garner any real support or interest in my local community for such endeavors. It's a shame. We lot must perservere, however, and strive to push the belief in prog forward until others see the light! Go tell it on the mountain. Anyway, thanks for being out there; if you are interested (or anyone else, for that matter) in Trapdoor Spider, an unsigned, experimental prog rock/fusion project and perhaps would like a demo cd, contact me via [email protected]...
You are what you do, when it counts...and it nearly always counts.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2009 at 17:21
Hello friends, good to see you drop in here. It reminds me that I should write a Q4 edition of the Unsigned Bands blog.

As for your works: I'll initiate threads your suggestions on the Suggest New Bands and Unsigned Bands sections to draw some more attention, and I'll check out the music.

@aardwolf: I'm actually mainly a consultant/trainer, but I love playing bass as much as I love listening to Jaco Pastorius doing it - hence his picture in my avatar.

Edited by Angelo - January 19 2009 at 17:22
ISKC Rock Radio
miketheorganist View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2009 at 15:49
I hope Kinetic Element will get on this list.  plugging, progging, symphonically trudging through the tall grass of all the great music in the prog world.  We just got back out playing Tuesday night, new lineup, new sound, music can be heard on Myspace, and as Caesar said, Friends, Romans and Countryment, lend me  your ears.
A spirit with a vision is a dream with a mission!

www.facebook.com/kineticelementband
 Post Reply Post Reply