Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKing's X proselytiser

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: King's X proselytiser
    Posted: September 22 2008 at 22:44
O.K. fans, here's a chance to give this band some much deserved exposure in a forum that is well suited to King's X music.
I call upon all believers to spread the message of lovely sounds that do emanate from such apostles of great music that these three be.
I ask no more than to spread the truth of King's X magical sounds.

First, and foremost, for those PA denizens who would know more about how to go about adding MP3s, please do so if possible. It is beyond my technical ability, and also my legal knowledge as to how to proceed. But I believe that a few judiciously chosen songs from the first 4 King's X albums should bring about a new wave of followers, and deservedly much more than the group has enjoyed in the past.
MY challenge - IMO, this is a group worthy of fanboyism (for lack of a better term) that should be displayed for all here at PA who search for new sources of great music.
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2008 at 09:50
I love the sentiments debrewguy.  And I must say thank you again to the admin team for voting on King's X to be added to prog related.  They are a long time favorite band of mine and I am very happy that they have been included here on PA.  As above, I don't know the legal ramifications of streaming tracks here on PA, but if we can do it and MP3s are necessary, I can provide them. 

Maybe posters can include a list of 4 or 5 songs that they would like to have streaming on PA, and we can go from there.
jimidom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2008 at 10:30

debrewguy, I was downright giddy when I saw that King's X had finally been added to the archives. Their music is an almost perfect mixture of musicianship, melody, and soul, not mention out-of-this-world guitar tones. I have been a fan since the 80's, going back to the days when I used to see them and the Awful Truth playing around town here in Houston, TX. Props to the PA admin team for adding them! Clap 

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." - HST

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2008 at 16:05

Giddy kind of describes it for me too.  This is the first prog-related band that I've been a part of adding to PA and I was worried that they might undeservedly get the nasty backlash that many prog related bands get.  I am so happy that they have been so well received so far.  I have also been really enjoying reading the reviews that you guys have been doing.  They've kind of been giving me goosebumps. 

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2008 at 16:07
Very welcome addition.  If it were up to me they'd be in heavy prog.  But it's not up to me.  Wink
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2008 at 16:13
I was hoping for prog metal, since they used to be included in the definition of prog metal when I first joined the site, or also heavy prog, but I understand that the team members don't feel that there is enough of a prog quotient to include them in these categories.  I'm alright with that.  There are prog elements, especially early on, and some full-fledged prog songs but again it appears not enough.  Even reading the most glowing reviews most of them kind of agree that as great as the music is it isn't really what they would consider prog.  But they seem to definitely be enjoying writing their reviews.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2008 at 16:16
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I was hoping for prog metal, since they used to be included in the definition of prog metal when I first joined the site, or also heavy prog, but I understand that the team members don't feel that there is enough of a prog quotient to include them in these categories.  I'm alright with that.  There are prog elements, especially early on, and some full-fledged prog songs but again it appears not enough.  Even reading the most glowing reviews most of them kind of agree that as great as the music is it isn't really what they would consider prog.  But they seem to definitely be enjoying writing their reviews.

I can see it from the other side as well, my opinion is they have enough (at least for this site) for being prog, but prog-related is also fine with me.  Like you I think I'm just glad that they're included on PA in some form.
jimidom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 11:26
I would have loved for King's X to be added to Prog Metal. After all, as has been pointed out, they were an example of the definition of Prog Metal here on PA once upon a time. As it stands, Prog-Related is perfectly fine. They are here, and that's what counts. Now let's see if Galactic Cowboys and Atomic Opera can get added too. Heck, add The Awful Truth (pre-Galactic Cowboys) as well.  
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." - HST

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 11:31
Originally posted by jimidom jimidom wrote:

I would have loved for King's X to be added to Prog Metal. After all, as has been pointed out, they were an example of the definition of Prog Metal here on PA once upon a time. As it stands, Prog-Related is perfectly fine. They are here, and that's what counts. Now let's see if Galactic Cowboys and Atomic Opera can get added too. Heck, add The Awful Truth (pre-Galactic Cowboys) as well.  

I suggested Galactic Cowboys last week, and it appears on ProgFreak that they have been approved.  I suppose that I should probably co-ordinate with Burritounit to see if they would like me to write a bio for GC.  Somehow or another I am not familiar with Atomic Opera.  I think that we might have talked about them once in another King's X thread. 
jimidom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 17:55
Nice work, rushfan4! Thumbs%20Up It's only a matter of time before GC gets added to PA I would think now that King's X is here. As for Atomic Opera, they are even heavier and more progressive than either King's X or GC. I'm sure you'd love them. I must make a suggestion for them soon. 

Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2008 at 06:18
I'm also glad to see they've been added, the first 3 albums in particular were killers! They went off the boil a bit mid career but have returned to form with their latest 2 albums.
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2008 at 12:49
I've scoured their official site, myspace, along with their "street teams" and cannot find a place where I could forward a message to the group or mgmt asking for their permission to post a few mp3s. The street team's myspace site has a "mail me" option, but I do not feel comfortable establishing a password with Myspace. This is due to me & my wife's reluctance to share certain info too freely over the web (we're playing the role model game for our daughter's sake) . Any one already registered there care to try ???

Edited by debrewguy - September 26 2008 at 12:50
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
 Post Reply Post Reply