Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Popol Vuh - Comprehensive Article & Album Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPopol Vuh - Comprehensive Article & Album Reviews

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Popol Vuh - Comprehensive Article & Album Reviews
    Posted: October 01 2008 at 12:45
I just had an article published in the online music magazine Perfect Sound Forever about the German krautrock/progressive/cosmic rock legends Popol Vuh.  The article is very comprehensive and reviews all of their albums.

You can read the article by going to www.perfectsoundforever.com and clicking on "STORIES/FEATURES", then click on Popol Vuh.  A direct link to the article page is here: http://www.furious.com/perfect/populvuh.html.

Additionally, here's a link to the thread I started in the Get the Word Out forum about my radio show on October 2, 2008 where I'll be playing 2 hours of Popol Vuh music: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=52221

I hope you enjoy the article!

Peace,
Gary (Goober)
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2008 at 13:05
Vuh is pretty awesome.  I especially like their first two, when they were using the Moog 'n' stuff.  

Goober View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2008 at 13:16
Their first two albums are great, especially In Den Garten Pharaos, but I think they really took off starting with Hosianna Mantra, their third album.  There are those who only really dig their first two more overtly krautrock/electronic period, but it was short lived, and I personally think what came afterwards was more profound and unique.
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2008 at 13:24
Hosianna Mantra pure Beauty   Thumbs%20Up good read to Thanks Clap
Goober View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2008 at 17:10
Did anyone else get a chance to read this article?

Popol Vuh are an unusual group in that they're so difficult to classify.  They're not QUITE krautrock, not QUITE prog, but have similiarities with both genres, even though they sound like no other krautrock or prog group.  They have fans from the worlds of krautrock, prog, psychedelia, clasic rock, ambient, new age, sacred music, etc., but they are also so varied that if one likes just one of those genres, they might not necessarily enjoy every phase of their career.

To me, they're one of the very, very rare groups who consistently made great music for a very long period of time.  In fact, I would say from 1970-1992 they never made a wrong move.  Some albums were perhaps more powerful than others, subjectively speaking, but all were of very high quality, and it wasn't until the very end of their career in the mid to late 90's that the material started to falter.

Anyway, check out the article about this group if you can!

Peace,
Gary
 Post Reply Post Reply