Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDeus Ex Machina - Imparis (CD/DVD, 2008)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deus Ex Machina - Imparis (CD/DVD, 2008)
    Posted: October 02 2008 at 17:59

DEUS EX MACHINA - Imparis

Another wonderful release from this talented Italian original and odd sextet.

Anyone else get this release?
A cd with new material (finally) and a DVD with a live show in Paris in 2006 + clips from older shows and an interview with the band.

Wonderful compositions with great intricate and compelling melodies (needs close listening).
If you loved Cinque, this is a must!

Here's an excerpt of what's written on this release in the Cuneiform website:

"A sextet of violin, analog keyboards, guitar, bass, drums and vocals, Deus ex Machina's sound is a unique and unequaled blend of aggressive jazz-rock mixed with complex rhythms, 1970s-style hard-rock guitar and hints of Rock In Opposition-style avant-progressive rock, all topped by the incredible vocals of Alberto Piras, one of the most extraordinary vocalists working in rock today. For this album, the band wanted to do something different and came up with an idea that presented a fun challenge to themselves. They had never played in France and on the outskirts of Paris, there was a world-class nightclub - Le Triton - that also featured a full recording studio as well as the ability to do a professional video shoot during performances. The band rented Le Triton for 3 days and spent two days recording. They also played a concert which was filmed. The result is Imparis, a double set that comprises a studio album of new material by the band as well as the band's first-ever DVD. The studio CD contains 45' of new material while the DVD functions as a career overview of their last 10 years, featuring two songs each from their albums Equilibrismo Da Insofferenza, Cinque and Imparis. The concert program of the DVD is 60 minutes of professionally shot and edited live footage of the band performing completely live - there are no 'fixes or sweetening' of the performances and consequently, fans should find it more realistic and representative of a genuine live musical performance by a great, tight band than a typical 'live' DVD. Also included are extras: interviews (funny and enlightening) + Paris backstage + a short, fascinating, avant-garde, prepared piano performance by Fabrizio of a one of the album's works + excerpts from Chapel Hill [USA 1996] + a totally over the top Italian TV performance [1996] + an charmngly dated music video that the band did in 1993. Total time of DVD is about 2 hours. Since they probably won't be coming to your hometown this week/month/year, this one is a no-brainer for their many fans.

“Driving, aggressive fusion mixed with wickedly complex rhythms, hints of R.I.O. and avant-garde sounds, and Alberto Piras’ unbelievable vocal skills...essential.” – Exposé

Read and listen here:

Edited by avestin - October 02 2008 at 18:01
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2008 at 22:48

Holy sh*t, you already have it!

I am putting this to my wishlist immediately

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2008 at 11:19
Hola Memo,

You have to get this, it's great!! Any fan of DeM will rejoice I believe. Their usual style (which is unusual in itself), with great musicianship. Watching the live show in Paris gives you great perception of how well they control and master their instruments.

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2008 at 16:33
bump
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2008 at 09:10
So no one here likes this band or has this release?
It's funny as this is quite a popular release in another prog forum I am part of.

Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2008 at 10:42
I received it, thanks to a fellow prog rock "amigo". I'll soon get to listen to it too. I don't know, however, anything about DEM's other stuff. 
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2008 at 21:13
John's review:

DEUS EX MACHINA — Imparis
Review by sinkadotentree (john davie)
Prog Reviewer

4 stars "Imparis" might be my favourite DEUS EX MACHINA record, and that's saying something!

I sure didn't feel that way after the first few listens,mainly because this one isn't as dynamic or avant-gard as the others.Have they just matured or settled down? I don't know, but everything that makes these guys a great band is still all here.Hard to believe it's been 6 years since their last album.

"La Diversita Di Avere Un'Anima" opens with some atmosphere before kicking into gear quickly with some great sounding organ.The guitar sounds fantatstic a minute in.Vocals before 2 minutes.The man can sing! Violin 4 minutes in as piano plays on.It's building.Some ripping guitar 6 minutes in as bass throbs.

"Giallo Oro" again opens with atmosphere as violin plays lazily with light drums.Reserved vocals 2 1/2 minutes in.It's building a minute later.Sounds pulsate after 4 1/2 minutes.Nice.The piano/drum melody 9 minutes in sounds really good.Vocals return a minute later.

"Il Testamento Dell'Uomo Saggio" hits the ground running.Some nice chunky bass when it does settle.Vocals join in.I love the guitar work after 2 minutes.The vocals and organ are both powerful and amazing.It's building 5 1/2 minutes in to the end as the violin rips it up.

"Cor Mio" is a beautiful violin led track.Vocals join in this feel good song.It does get intense later though. "La Fine Del Mondo" is the longest track at almost 15 minutes.I like the sound it builds to 2 minutes in with deep bass,violin,piano and drums.Vocals 4 minutes in.A fuller sound 6 minutes in as guitar kicks in.The keyboard/drum section is outstanding.Jazzy.Violin joins in around 11 minutes as the song changes and vocals return.The tempo picks back up after 13 minutes.

"Cosmopolitismo Centimetropolitano" is the final track,and a live song at that.Nice drum intro as violin and organ join in.The vocals are impressive.A calm after 3 minutes until guitar and bass start to dominate turning it into a powerful soundscape 6 minutes in.Some great organ runs follow.The guitar and bass shine 8 1/2 minutes in.Drums too.A sudden calm 10 minutes in.Vocals are back to end it. This is simply outstanding music played at the highest possible level.I just love listening to the arrangements, and the way these guys play.Highly recommended.

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2008 at 08:27
I need to get this! A great band.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2009 at 20:42
Memo and Chopper, did you get the album?

victor77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 13:36
I really enjoy the new  direction of the band since "Equilibrismo da Insofferenza", more jazz-rock oriented than their first records and a very clear influence on this record,  their last one, although I have listened to it only a few times. I think they are getting better on every record

andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2009 at 14:14
By the way, DEUS EX MACHINA have a new Myspace page from where you can buy the last two studio albums and legally download for free their previous four albums..

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2009 at 14:30
Originally posted by andrea andrea wrote:

By the way, DEUS EX MACHINA have a new Myspace page from where you can buy the last two studio albums and legally download for free their previous four albums..

Thanks, I grabbed one of their earlier releases and will check it out shortly.
 Post Reply Post Reply