Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Bedlam in Goliath Lowest Rated Mars Volta Album?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBedlam in Goliath Lowest Rated Mars Volta Album?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bedlam in Goliath Lowest Rated Mars Volta Album?
    Posted: October 02 2008 at 23:44
I was completely astounded to see Bedlam as the lowest rated Volta album. Maybe I am missing something, because this album incorporates everything that is prog to me. Complex songs, astounding instrumentation, bizzarre and off beat time signatures. It is one of the most original albums of the decade. I am just confused on this one.
I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress . . .
MrEdifus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2008 at 00:44
I don't understand that either. It's my personal favorite of their albums. For more of what I think on it, you could just read this.

Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2008 at 00:45
There is topic similar to this, it would be good to look it up.

I too felt TBIG was amazing, with only a few flaws perhaps, but otherwise good enough for 5 stars IMO.
ProgBagel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2008 at 01:26
With every album they stray farther away from the debut album. Sadly, people don't want that.
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2008 at 02:20
I thought it was quite good. Although I'm a fan of all their albums. DO NOT agree with the "most original album of the decade" statement.
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2008 at 02:26
Originally posted by ProgBagel ProgBagel wrote:

With every album they stray farther away from the debut album. Sadly, people don't want that.

And they get less and less accessible. I thought it was a fantastic album, with only a couple of weak spots in the middle. Oh well.
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2008 at 07:34
It could be something to do with the fact that it also has the lowest number of ratings, which may affect the algorithm.
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2008 at 07:41
To me personally it's clearer by the day, if we're talking a new Porcupine Tree, you can already say it will be the year's best prog album, if Mars Volta come with something new, it will be a hate/love situation (kinda like Riverside, Kayo Dot and other stars' case, from what I can observe). I mostly think that's the case with Bedlam In Goliath, except a few exaggerate/extreme views, the negative ones saying it's uninteligible and the lyrics are B.B. (Before Babel) (which is completely wrong), while the positive ones say it's the best music that ever rocked their world (which is again wrong, there are flaws to it at least).

As far as I'm concerned, I'm a great MV fan up to the debut album and half of Frances (Cassandra Gemini can simply give me brain freeze 4 out of 10 listens, that's all), Amputechture however is dull. Given the chronological order of full albums, for me Bedlam In Goliath is, in one word: great!!

Edited by Ricochet - October 03 2008 at 07:42
DJPuffyLemon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2008 at 10:59
Bedlam, taken one song at a time is not bad at all, however the whole album gets same-y and boring. A whole hour of noise and weird vocals/time sig changes gets repetitive. (FACT)

And just to add, I find that most of the songs are uninspired. (OPINION)

Favorite track is Tournoquet Man, so I guess you can get your opinion from that, given that most everyone hates that song.
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2008 at 11:05
No, it is not the most original album of the decade. Not even close.

However, I do think that is significantly better than Amputechture, though. TMV are one of the few bands that I like more when they are poppy.
if you own a sodastream i hate you
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2008 at 12:29
I thought the album was horribly shrill and relied on uncompulsive and stilted rawk riffs, which I hate ;P
~Rael~ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2008 at 00:04
I don't really see how your first statement can be taken as fact, DJPuffy.

And I didn't say it was the most original album of the decade, but one of. To find out what really is the most original album of the decade, I guess I would have to listen to everthing that has been released, which I don't think is possible. From what I have heard, this, to me (as in opinion) is one of the most original albums I have heard.
I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress . . .
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2008 at 02:48
Originally posted by Moatilliatta Moatilliatta wrote:

And they get less and less accessible. I thought it was a fantastic album, with only a couple of weak spots in the middle. Oh well.

Good point there actually.
The reason why I liked TBIG so much, was because it just got even less accessible sounding but not at the expense of having great replay value, which I think many prog artists should be aiming for.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2008 at 03:23
I wouldn't go as far as to say that TBiG is TMV's best album (I believe they haven't topped De-loused yet), but I disagree with those who think it's their worst. As Harry and Chris (Moatiliatta) said before me, it's definitely their densest, least accessible offering so far, and also a tad overlong (as I pointed out in my review). However, when it's good, it's REALLY good (see "Goliath" or "Aberinkula", one of the most explosive openers ever), and it's undeniably a very progressive record. To be fair, though, I realise the band's whole output can be a bit of an acquired taste - no gentle, soothing harmonies in the style of Genesis or Camel hereWink!
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2008 at 04:45
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

I wouldn't go as far as to say that TBiG is TMV's best album (I believe they haven't topped De-loused yet), but I disagree with those who think it's their worst. As Harry and Chris (Moatiliatta) said before me, it's definitely their densest, least accessible offering so far, and also a tad overlong (as I pointed out in my review). However, when it's good, it's REALLY good (see "Goliath" or "Aberinkula", one of the most explosive openers ever), and it's undeniably a very progressive record. To be fair, though, I realise the band's whole output can be a bit of an acquired taste - no gentle, soothing harmonies in the style of Genesis or Camel hereWink!

Clap

I don't like the openers or the Goliath hit so much as other, more worthy tracks: Cavalletas is, by far, one of THE most interesting Mars Volta tracks ever, Ourobous has that grave, almost mythological edge, Soothsayer finally blends the MV sound with that Muslim suggested one - and 12 Conjugal Burns ends it victoriously, the kick in it (both vocals and instrumentally) finally reminding of the good ol' De-Loused times.

True, there are not many contrasts to the loud, dense and bombastic music, however that doesn't mean some don't actually exist! There are two or three tracks where things cool off into dark, frozen or vibrating mementos. Not to mention, I believe the short Torniquette Man is appreciated for its more alternative sound, the clearer lyrics and for such...which doesn't make it actually special to my ears, because it's quite ordinary compared to the rest of the album!

I've got used to the length, and I even enjoy that it captivates you the whole way till the end. This is certainly a rare thing in Mars Volta music, since, back in Amputechture, I cross the line of boredom long before the half point of the album, Frances is overall intriguing but I mentioned Cassandra Gemini's handicap, plus De-Loused officially ends its gems after Cicatriz (so it is said, but I love it too much to agree with that...Wink).
Norbert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2008 at 08:10
Love Bedlam! At first I found it rather annoying, but aftewr some listenings it turned out to be a great album.
The only track I would consider a bit weak is Tourniquet Man, but it doesn't last long.
A Heavy Prog gem! Clap
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2008 at 10:30
Originally posted by DJPuffyLemon DJPuffyLemon wrote:

.... same-y ....

First of all, great word, it has a ring similar to "truthiness". 

same-y; adj. - 1. to have the characteristics of redundancy  2. to appear exactly like, but not really

As far as the subject at hand, I would rate TMV albums in the following order from most to least favorite. And I totally agree that Bedlam... listened straight gets very same-y.

1. Frances the Mute
2. De-Loused in the Comatorium
3. Bedlam in Goliath
4. Amputechture

The last I find virtually unlistenable.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2008 at 11:56
Originally posted by ~Rael~ ~Rael~ wrote:

I don't really see how your first statement can be taken as fact, DJPuffy.

That would be because its opinion, and a pretty vague statment in all.

I would suggest that he never listens to Cynic or Atheist.WinkLOL
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2008 at 13:36
Originally posted by Moatilliatta Moatilliatta wrote:

I agree, if you take Torniquete man and Cavaletas out you end up with a very solid 4 star album, but instead it´s more of a 3,5 in my opinion. It stars and finished great but the middle is so so...
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
topofsm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2008 at 18:57

I disagree with that, mostly because my friends and I haven't heard their previous albums, and we tend to think Bedlam is rather noisy and bland. We definetely have heard a lot of their material before the album was released, so we definetely know what TMV is all about, but we just don't like Bedlam.

There's just too much going on. There are too many instruments trying to play at the same time, too many predictable odd time signatures, and too much repetition amongst elements like that. Every time I listen to it, I get tired and want to go to sleep.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>