Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnyone got the Brave (Marillion) DVD?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone got the Brave (Marillion) DVD?
    Posted: October 10 2008 at 16:49
Hey, I'm new on here, I didn't spot anther thread/review page of this, so I thought I'd ask:

Has anyone seen/got the theatrical DVD Marillion released of Brave? On their website it says it was directed by Richard Stanley and was released just after the album.

I ask because it happens to be my favourite album by Marillion, and I spotted whilst looking at their discography. I haven't got it myself but I plan to buy it.

One thing which I thought was odd was the fact that the picture on the site had an 18 rating in the corner. Ominous?
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2008 at 16:53
It is a pretty depressing video.  There is also some nudity.
Staker View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2008 at 17:06
That would probably explain the 18-ness. Sounds a bit like The Wall, but I must admit I wasn't really paying attention when I watched that one. However, is it any good, and worth buying?
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2008 at 17:23
I've only watched it a couple of times, but I guess the fact that I watched it more than once is a positive.  I'd say that it probably does enhance the story by watching the video with the music; or at least it adds a different dimension to it.  It is not nearly as strange as The Wall in my opinion, but it is kind of strange, but it seems to go along with the story.  I'd say that if you can get it for a decent price it is probably worth it.  Especially since it is your favorite Marillion album.  
Staker View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2008 at 08:35
Yeah, their site has it up for about £10. I'll probably get it. Thanks for your thoughts.
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2008 at 11:11
It's really an extended video to complement the album, don't expect to see much of the band in it.
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2008 at 11:24
Originally posted by Staker Staker wrote:

Hey, I'm new on here, I didn't spot anther thread/review page of this, so I thought I'd ask:

Has anyone seen/got the theatrical DVD Marillion released of Brave? On their website it says it was directed by Richard Stanley and was released just after the album.

I ask because it happens to be my favourite album by Marillion, and I spotted whilst looking at their discography. I haven't got it myself but I plan to buy it.

One thing which I thought was odd was the fact that the picture on the site had an 18 rating in the corner. Ominous?

Brave is also my favorite Marillion album, if not the best album I own. That being said, I didn't care for the movie (a friend loaned it to me). Just a bit too odd for my tastes.

If you don't have it, try to pick up Brave Live 2002 if you can. I think it's discontinued by Racket, but may find one floating around on ebay. I watched it last weekend and it's still a jaw dropper. I have both the DVD and the CD of that performance and they're both just absolutely killer.

Greg Walker also has a live concert DVD (http://www.synphonic.8m.com/country/DVD.htm) from their legendary performance in Mexico City on the last night of the Brave tour. It's taken from a pay-per-view telecast, so it's professionally shot. The only drawback is H's keyboard was malfunctioning that night and could only play the piano parts; so, his little nuances on songs like "Easter", "Bridge/Living With The Big Lie" and so on are missing. Still, it's a magical DVD.

E
 Post Reply Post Reply