Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLed Zeppelin To Replace Robert Plant

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Led Zeppelin To Replace Robert Plant
    Posted: October 13 2008 at 15:10
http://www.last.fm/user/colt2112

Colt - Admin Team MMA

Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2008 at 16:06
Then its not Led Zeppelin 
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2008 at 16:14
Interesting.  I'm 90% sure that Alter Bridge was the band that played at the 2005 All Star Game here in Detroit.  They played 3 or 4 songs prior to the home run derby (I think).  Useless comment since I don't remember that much about it.  They were somehow related to Creed.  I think after Creed broke up, 1 or 2 former Creed members formed Alter Bridge.
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2008 at 16:54
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Interesting.  I'm 90% sure that Alter Bridge was the band that played at the 2005 All Star Game here in Detroit.  They played 3 or 4 songs prior to the home run derby (I think).  Useless comment since I don't remember that much about it.  They were somehow related to Creed.  I think after Creed broke up, 1 or 2 former Creed members formed Alter Bridge.

Actually, Alter Bridge are Creed without their singer Scott Stapp. But that's all I Know about them, which may say much on how good they were.
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
ClassicRocker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2008 at 22:59
With so much speculation since the O2 Arena concert last year, it's hard to give any credence to the many rumors that have been floating about. I've even heard "official announcements" on the classic rock radio channels that the band (including Robert Plant) has signed on for a spring/summer '09 tour. But of course, those were also just rumors.

No offense progmetalhead, but the source you provided is a blog... on Blogspot.com nonetheless. It has no authority on any major news in the music world and can only possibly provide info that is not "exclusive" news for that blog author.

In short, don't believe anything until you either see it as a story on Led Zeppelin's official site or see one of the very members of Led Zeppelin announce it at a press conference.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2008 at 23:08
Since Bonham was Zeppelin (in the first place and why they stopped soon after his death) , they can replace or replant whomever ......... Moby Dick , babe, see it live, you know what I mean
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 12:39
Originally posted by ClassicRocker ClassicRocker wrote:

With so much speculation since the O2 Arena concert last year, it's hard to give any credence to the many rumors that have been floating about. I've even heard "official announcements" on the classic rock radio channels that the band (including Robert Plant) has signed on for a spring/summer '09 tour. But of course, those were also just rumors.

No offense progmetalhead, but the source you provided is a blog... on Blogspot.com nonetheless. It has no authority on any major news in the music world and can only possibly provide info that is not "exclusive" news for that blog author.

In short, don't believe anything until you either see it as a story on Led Zeppelin's official site or see one of the very members of Led Zeppelin announce it at a press conference.

Have you seen the Dee Snider interview ? He shares a manager with Robert Plant, and has given the info that big money is on the table, and that page/jones are ready to go, with Plant or not.
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
ClassicRocker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 16:06
debrewguy, no I haven't seen it. Even assuming all of that is true, it still hasn't happened regardless of how much money is on the table and what Dee Snider and his manager say about Page/Plant being ready to go.

I haven't heard any statements from either of them yet, so I'm sticking to what I said before: this isn't 100% true unless a band member or the official website announces it. That is the only case in which it is definitely happening.

I, for one, hope it isn't true, because Zeppelin without Plant is not Zeppelin. Just in the way that Page/Plant sans Jones wasn't Led Zeppelin either.

Edited by ClassicRocker - October 14 2008 at 16:06
Guzzman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2008 at 09:57
Wow, this seems to be of real importance to some people! We even got two threads on the topic here in PA. Check this one out as well http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=52157
"We've got to get in to get out"
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2008 at 19:21
Originally posted by ClassicRocker ClassicRocker wrote:

debrewguy, no I haven't seen it. Even assuming all of that is true, it still hasn't happened regardless of how much money is on the table and what Dee Snider and his manager say about Page/Plant being ready to go.

I haven't heard any statements from either of them yet, so I'm sticking to what I said before: this isn't 100% true unless a band member or the official website announces it. That is the only case in which it is definitely happening.

I, for one, hope it isn't true, because Zeppelin without Plant is not Zeppelin. Just in the way that Page/Plant sans Jones wasn't Led Zeppelin either.

The only weight I give to it is that Snider and Plant share the same manager, therefore the "inside information" that Plant has refused, and that Page/Jones still want to go.
It does give pause to think that they may have second thoughts. Queen pulled it off with Paul Rodgers, but being the singer who replaced Scott Stapp as Creed's (reborn as AlterBridge) vocalist isn't really close to the status that Robert Plant has. And even with the two threads here at PA, I haven't seen any name singer that could stand up to scrutiny. My best guess would have been Sammy Hagar, but as good a fit as he might be, he's just not on the same level. Paul Rodgers had Free, Bad Company, and of much less standing - the Firm. And the new team with Queen happened to seem like a good fit, without being a rip off of Mercury's work with Queen. But I just can't see any of Sammy's songs, solo or Van Halen, that Zep could play that would stand up to their own masterpieces.
Bern View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2008 at 19:25
Originally posted by Hawkwise Hawkwise wrote:

Yeah, it wouldn't be Led Zeppelin even if Plant was there. He doesn't sound like he used to at all and, most of all, Bonham died a long time ago.

RIP in bossa nova heaven.
zicIy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2008 at 03:14
Originally posted by Bern Bern wrote:

Originally posted by Hawkwise Hawkwise wrote:

Yeah, it wouldn't be Led Zeppelin even if Plant was there. He doesn't sound like he used to at all and, most of all, Bonham died a long time ago.

i agree, these re-incarnations of the bands as Led Zeppelin, The Who or Queen are tribute bands now. (awesome tribute bands, of course).
Jake Kobrin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2008 at 16:06
I saw The Who and Queen despite Rodger for getting the lyrics to Substitute and Freddy Mercury not being alive (which sucks because he's like ALL of Queen) they were both great.  
MargusKiisEstonia View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2008 at 11:58
There were actually two reasons why LZ disbanded in 1980: Jones found Bonham was unreplacable and Plant wanted really out of the band. Unlike others he hurried to start his solo career. Page wanted actually LZ to conitinue with Cozy Powell on drums. So, like 1980 Plant is not interested in working with egomaniac Page any more. History`s repeating. 
progmetalhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2008 at 10:23
As reported on BBC Radio Devon:

Jones, speaking at a guitar show in Exeter, Devon said: "We are trying out a couple of singers.

"We want to do it. It's sounding great and we want to get on and get out there."

He said that he and guitarist Jimmy Page along with drummer Jason Bonham did not want a replica of Plant.

He said: "It's got to be right. There's no point in just finding another Robert.

"You could get that out of a tribute band, but we don't want to be our own tribute band.

"There would be a record and a tour, but everyone has to be on board."

http://www.last.fm/user/colt2112

Colt - Admin Team MMA

BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2008 at 01:57
So the rumor is now that Steven Tyler has been jamming with the Led Zep guys?  

Why don't they just get David Coverdale?  He similar enough to Plant that he could make the songs sound like they should, but different enough that their would be his own touch on it.  And his voice is still intact.
poslednijat_colobar View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2008 at 05:12
I salute them. The intensions of Robert Plant are not their problem. If they want to continue without him,when he reject it's only good for us,aren't we?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2008 at 05:55
Originally posted by MargusKiisEstonia MargusKiisEstonia wrote:

There were actually two reasons why LZ disbanded in 1980: Jones found Bonham was unreplacable and Plant wanted really out of the band. Unlike others he hurried to start his solo career. Page wanted actually LZ to conitinue with Cozy Powell on drums. So, like 1980 Plant is not interested in working with egomaniac Page any more. History`s repeating. 

This is highly questionable, I suspect based on dubious sources and speculation  ..to assume Robert Plant "really wanted out of the band" simply because he released a solo album before the others (untrue by the way, as Jimmy Page's Death Wish ll soundtrack was released the same year Plant's solo debut, 1982) is sheer theory, and anyone who knows the band's history knows Plant and Bonham were the closest of the four members having known each other well before Zep formed.

..and Page is an egomaniac, huh.  I see, of course he is, and Bonham is overrated, Jones was mediocre and Plant was a hack  ..oh and they stole almost everything they played.  Wonderful.

Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2008 at 06:48
Won't work. The thrill of Led Zeppelin was gone after I went through my  ( brief ) Zeppelin phase in my teens. Like any other proposition such as this it's all about moneyf or the large corporations and it's the struggling new artists who  pay the price. For christ sakes if you really care about music throw in the towel and give the budding artists their kick at the cat.

Edited by Vibrationbaby - November 02 2008 at 06:49
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2008 at 17:02
Well, if Jones is true to his word, and some of it is of the "we're not going to play everything like we always did" nature, then it might work.
But it has to fit with his "tribute" band comment, i.e. get a new singer and just play the same old songs the same old way, bring out the bow for Jimmy's solo, cloud up the stage for No Quarter, etc ...
Funk it up, trash it out, acousticiasize some, whatever. Call yourself Zep to reflect the past, but only as the base for a new phase. And if Jones comes through like he did on In Through the Out Door, and Jimmy does more than w**k, a new singer could be the twist in the mix to make it worthwhile.
Can it work ? Well, I loved the live album Paul Rodgers & Queen put out. Their new studio album, Cosmos Rocks, though, at best leaves me hoping they give it another try. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>