FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOpeth at St. Louis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Opeth at St. Louis
    Posted: October 14 2008 at 19:21
I'll some up the Opeth show in four quick and simple words: Best metal concert ever.

They were amazing. I saw them in Chicago w/ DT and they were awesome, but last night they played in a smaller venue (The Pageant if you are familiar with the St. Louis). It is my favorite venue. It is small, but big enough for a good crowd. They performed the songs perfectly, and Axenrot was amazing on drums. I don't know where that dude gets his stamina. They played for about 1 hour 45 minutes (not long enough, but it never is with a show that good) and played all different songs from the Progressive Nation show, which was surprising. I thought it would be an extended set of that show, but it wasn;t at all. I don't think they played any of the songs they did in the Prgressive Nation show. I like when bands change things up like that. I guess my only gripe would be that they didn't play Ghost of Perdition, but they did play The Lotus Eater (which I was really hoping for.) Hey, you can't have everything.

Great show.

I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress . . .
~Rael~ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 19:25
And, on a side note, two bands warmed up for them: Baroness and High and Fire. I hope I don't offend anyone with the following comments.

Baroness was horrible. The sound was bad, and the guitars sounded out of tune. It seemed to me like they were trying way too hard to be progressive. They would go into cool sounding double leads, than resort back to noise. It was just bad, and I didn't get it. I listened to a couple songs online, and thought they were pretty cool, and was really dissapointed.

High on Fire was one of the worst bands I have ever seen. I am not one of those people whp have to have thier music progressive, but I have a limit. One of thier songs was literally the same five or six notes over and over again. They were too loud, and the sound was horrible. You couldn't make sense of the "Guitar solos."

I don't get where these crappy bands come from, especially when they are paired up with a great band like Opeth.
I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress . . .
Proletariat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 20:34
Cool! i saw them here in Denver on saturday!

I thought Baroness was good, you have to keep in mind they arn't really a prog band so much as a stoner/sludger metal band, and if you were a fan of that genre you would realize that they sound exactly as a live stoner metal band should sound. High on Fire are fun, they are like the AC/DC of death metal, if you didnt take them too seriously and moshed you sould have had a great time in the pit, it was BRUTAL and so much fun.

As for Opeth themselves what can I say, the show was amazing!!!! It was definatelly one of the best shows I have seen. Oh, and there is nothing more rediculous than being in a crazy pit during the jazzy bit of lotus eater.
who hiccuped endlessly trying to giggle but wound up with a sob
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2008 at 03:17
What songs did they do when you saw them Rael?
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2008 at 01:28
^Yea, I would like to know the set list as well.
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
Plankowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2008 at 03:08

From what I can gather the set list from KC, SF, and another city I forget now, the set list has been:

Baroness:
The Birthing
Isak
Rays on Pinion
Red Sky
Wanderlust

Opeth:
Heir Apparent
The Grand Conjuration
Serenity Painted Death
Hope Leaves
The Lotus Eater
Bleak
Night and the Silent Water
Deliverance
Demon of the Fall
The Drapery Falls

Edited by Plankowner - October 17 2008 at 03:15
~Rael~ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2008 at 13:43
That looks right. And thanks, plankowner, I never have gotten around to checking back here until now. I haven't memorized all the Opeth song titles, so I'm opening iTunes to listen. I don't know what Baroness songs are what, so I'll assume you're correct.

As for the Opeth songs, I think it is actually completely correct, though I could have sworn they played Hex Omega. They played all of them. Serenity Painted Death was awesome, I love that song. Like I said, The Lotus Eater ruled, and them opening with Heir Apparent was awesome. There were two songs I didn't know, which must have been The Night and Silent Water and The Demon of the Fall, because I haven't heard Morningrise or My Arms, Your Hearse. Deliverance was awesome, I really like that song--the whole album really. Like I said, that list looks completely correct, except of Hex Omega, but I could be mistaken.

Something else I forgot to mention in my OP was how great Akerfeldt is in concert. He is hilarious. He mentioned they were going to play something off Morningrise, and everyone started yelling out song names, and when he heard one of the names he said, "You just want to hear that one because it is 22 minutes long. I don't remember all of it." He is just a great performer. Really love how he doesn't take himself so seriously (which you would never guess from the music).
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2008 at 17:04
Rael, I was at the show too. The sound for opening bands at the Pageant is often bad and Baroness got the raw end on that. They looked like they might have actually been playing something interesting but the wash of sound made it impossible to hear it. High on Fire played about 3 different versions of Motorhead's Ace of Spades. Their singer badly needed to pull up his pants.
Opeth rocked. It was definitely Akerfeldt and his helpers but they all played flawlessly. Are you going to the remains of Yes in December?
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2008 at 22:00
A few thoughts on Opeth live:

Some of my favorite songs on record did not work as well live. Lotus Eater is one of my favorites and it just wasn't as powerful as I'd hoped. You might have heard me yelling out for Hessian Peel, but I don't know if it would have been as cool live as it is on record because it stays quite for so long. Hope Leaves also was good, but not as good as record. They did not play Hex Omega. Lotus Eater and Heir Apparent were the only songs from Watershed.

On the other hand, Drapery Falls which is a song I initially loved and lately had burnt out on, was unbelievable live. Bleak (same album) was also phenomenal. The Morningrise song was also quite good.

The mix was not set up for Mikael's clean voice very well. It was a little buried and so wasn't as striking as it is on record. The dragonvoice is a force of nature. Makes one wonder if he made a little trip to the crossroads...
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
~Rael~ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2008 at 17:36
Lol, I wasn't going to mention his pants. But, yeah, that guy was pretty gross. Personally, I'm not a fan of asscracks, especially male ones.

Ok, I'll take your word on Hex Omega, just got mixed up. I would have liked to hear Hessian Peal also, such an awesome song. And Burden would have been good, I love the keyboard solo. I agree on Loyus Eater, not as good as on the album, and the songs from Blackwater Park were AMAZING. I could never get into Blackwater before, but I love it now. I like when a live show makes you appreciate a band even more.

Haha, dragonvoice, that is the best description there is. I don't know how he does it, it seems like he isn't even trying.

You may have seen me there, I was the only one (as far as I know) in an electric wheelchair, sitting at the front of the first tier right in front of the pit. My dad was there too, huge Opeth fan, lol. And, yeah, we will be there for the Yes concert, up in the Balcony--I wish they opened the balcony for Opeth, but oh well. Yes is my dad's favorite band, and he has seen them countless times, and this will be my first time seeing them. I just hope Anderson tours with them one more time so I can see him live too. And might be going to see Mudvayne, too.
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2008 at 10:58
I saw you there. I was actually standing very near you. One of the scores of skinny dudes with long dark hair in a ponytail and a goatee. My brother was standing next to me, he recently chopped his hair so was the most conservative looking dude in the room. We were just a little to the left of the sound guy but also on the first level above the pit. I'm sure you saw me but unlikely you'd remember. The Pageant is a great venue. The other show I'm sure to be at is one of the El Monstero / Floyd shows assuming they happen again.
~Rael~ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2008 at 17:15
Haha, yeah. Long hair and a goatee aren't exactly the most distinguishing of features at a metal concert.

The Pageant is awesome. I was so psyched when I found out Opeth was playing at The Pageant. I figured they would be at Pops, and I hate Pops.
 Post Reply Post Reply