2 [3.03%]
1 [1.52%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2008 at 09:11
^ Oh there are some excellent writings in the Bible for sure. Revelations is spine chilling to say the least.

As far as Silmarillion goes I best start that in another thread as that is equally as complex a workWink
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Utah Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2008 at 09:56
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Originally posted by Utah Man Utah Man wrote:

Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

was an important part of my studies

you have a degree in literature or ___________?

history, and I specialized in ancient and middle ages. believe me, you can't understand the middle ages without knowing the bible, and for some ancient history the bible is an important source too

^ you're right...

my degree minor is in history.

someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2008 at 11:02
I've read the Bible from Genesis to Revelation and I still do. It's an essential part of my life.
Wilcey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2008 at 11:26

Originally posted by prog-chick prog-chick wrote:

I've read it all cover to cover a couple of times, and use it as reference frequently.

Do you find yourself using it as a reference point towards your friends or "enemies" ?  Wink

Niether I think, I don't think I have any enemies, but I find a lot of folk who make a claim to Christianity have some warped ideas, and will interpret and pick and chose to bolster their own needs and opinions, some can generally live in a rather opposite way to the ways taught. 

Generally I am somewhat opposed to organised religion, not because of the faith, but due to what I have seen as the spoiling of faith by the organisation.

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I have read bits of a couple of those (Gospel of Judus and Gospel of Mary Magdalene). With so many of the apocrypha being rejected by the early church, I was curious to see why (and perhaps understand better why) some gospels were included in the NT and why some were excluded.

I've read these texts too........... very interesting, again, the organisation of religion takes away a lot of the true power of faith.

This is why I read the Koran too, I wanted to understand it, it is in parts a beautiful book. I wont pretend to understand it all, but I saw no hatred or violence here. Once again Ermm  Organisation of faith creates a human hiarachy, which in turn creates human power struggles,..........

Faith, true personal faith, whatever it might be in can be a beautiful and forfilling thing. It's not about being herded in body and mind like sheep. It's not a shield by which you can live your life as you please but use to protect you or to gve you power over others.

Gosh, that's all a bit serious for a Friday............ maybe I bumped my head! Wink

moreitsythanyou View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2008 at 11:53
I think I might have read 2 or 3 pages of the Old Testament while bored at a Bar Mitzvah.
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2008 at 12:22

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Yes, I have read most of my copy of the King James Bible....

Ever tried any of the "newer" translations ?
NIV  or New King James ?....

Yes, I have.  Both, but I'm something of a traditionalist, and was raised in the Anglican Church where I became used to the old King James version.  I rarely go to church these days (I miss it as the minister is such an intellectual, yet spiritual), and wouldn't describe myself as religious.  I married an ex-Roman Catholic born-again Christian whom I met while working in Japan, and while wooing her I immersed myself in the Bible (I primarily was using the NIV at that time, but didn't much like it).

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

And I've read New Testament Apocrypha.

I'd like to read more apocrypha... Kind of like prog, I'm more interested in the obscure stuff (texts not included in the bible). I have a general interest in religion, and religious texts.
I have read bits of a couple of those (Gospel of Judus and Gospel of Mary Magdalene). With so many of the apocrypha being rejected by the early church, I was curious to see why (and perhaps understand better why) some gospels were included in the NT and why some were excluded.

From the OT era, I've also read The Book Of Watchers from The Book of Enoch, because I was interested in Paradise Lost at the time (the epic poem and the metal band Wink) and wanted to know more of the Fall of the Angels.

We have shared the same interests.  And I was fascinated by Paradise Lost and sought out materials on that topic.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2008 at 12:28
I must have been quike the geek as a teenager, as I read the King James version cover to cover (even Leviticusssssszzzzz), then the New World Translation (Jehovah's Witness chosen text).

I also have the Koran (plus - I kid you not - The Koran For Dummies), but am yet to read it...

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Bern View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2008 at 14:30
I've read the whole Bible and parts of the Koran.

I've always been an atheist but I did it for historical, philosophical, cultural and sociological purpose. It's really interesting.

And as Baldjean said, you can't understand a lot of historical periods without a good knowledge of the Bible. I'm an art history major and it's especially true in this field. Most art from the middle-ages and the renaissance were directly inspired by episodes of the Bible.

RIP in bossa nova heaven.
Utah Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2008 at 14:31
Originally posted by prog-chick prog-chick wrote:

I find a lot of folk who make a claim to Christianity have some warped ideas, and will interpret and pick and chose to bolster their own needs and opinions

Agree Wink
 ... very well put
Thumbs%20Up

Anyone can "prove" anything from the Bible ( or for that matter from any religious document )
Tongue-in-cheek Example: The Apostle Paul was a drug user & got high frequently, II Corinthians 11:25.

Utah Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2008 at 14:34
Originally posted by Bern Bern wrote:

Most art from the middle-ages and the renaissance were directly inspired by episodes of the Bible.

In your opinion, would you say that most art, over the past _________ decades, is secularized ?

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2008 at 14:46

Yes, and I've also heard Genesis' "From Genesis to Revelation" Tongue (which, incredibly, is much more entertaining)....

I've read the whole first books ... I read the whole genesis and I continued up to Exodus... but it became too boring and confuse, and most importantly, stupid. Reading another nation's history filled with more violence and death than most slasher-horror movies, and with more incredible events than Alice in Wonderland, it had to be at least fun to read... alas, it wasn't.

Then I've read the entire New Testament, which is also incredibly incredible. At least the moral is much better and the main character is much more praise-worthy than the lunatic god of the first testament... It's poorly written but it has some moments that, to be honest, do cause something inside...

Then I've read Revelations, mostly because of its satan-imagery and also because none beats that book as the ultimate LSD trip ever... Tongue Actually, I'm sure John (John, wasn't it?) was incredibly high on acid or something when he wrote the thing... The most entertaining book in the whole bible....

Bern View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2008 at 14:59

Originally posted by Bern Bern wrote:

Most art from the middle-ages and the renaissance were directly inspired by episodes of the Bible.

In your opinion, would you say that most art, over the past _________ decades, is secularized ?

No doubt about it if we talk about the Middle-Ages (in Occident). The art wasn't really used for expressionnal purpose ou artistic value in those times. Art works were mainly seen as "trance inducing" mystic objects. The concept of "the artist" didn't even exist at the time. Painters and sculptors for example were seen as artisans. The only purpose of art was religious and spiritual. It led to many debates involving the representation of the human figure in art at the time. A lot of people (iconoclasts) thought that, by possessing a representation of Jesus or any other religious figure, it became a fetish and thus another God that broke the important monotheistic part of Christianity. I'll stop here but I could go on for a long while.

In the Renaissance, a lot of art was secularized too. The context was different though. The concept of artist appeared. So, while the exclusively religious painters still existed, a lot of free-thinkers began to claim their uniqueness as creators. Most people were still fervent believers though. It led to many things. A really large part of the art works were still inspired by the Bible. The main reason is that, at the time, the art market was born. Artists needed a patron to live of their art. While there were some rich merchants or nobles hiring them (Greek mythology scenes were popular among those), the main patron and the most prestigious was the religious authority. That explains the high number of religious paintings. Even by an artist who wasn't that much of a believer. Da vinci for example. Once again, I could say a lot more.

In the 16th to 19th century, there also was a lot of religious art for many different reasons including church patrons, the Academy of arts and what came with it, national prestige, church decoration...

I could have written a book about that question. So I'll stop here for now.

Go ahead if you've got any other questions though. I'm here for you.

RIP in bossa nova heaven.
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2008 at 15:05
To give a short & simple answer: I have read the first books of the Old Testament, plus "excerpts" from the Psalms, the New Testament & other books, plus the Revelations. Alas, I've read and received it with the mind of a child, so I count that as null.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2008 at 06:46

This is part of a personal research project.

. . . and in case you're wondering: No I'm NOT Mormon.

OK, but we're still wondering how many wives you have. LOL

But seriously, the best and most interesting parts of the Bible are those that many who profess to be Christian choose to ignore.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2008 at 07:03
I've read about half of the Old Testament. I don't remember ever reading any of the Gospels straight through, I think I relied solely on whatever excerpts were read at my local church, ditto the stories of the Apostles and their letters. I did read the whole of Revelations, though.

I bought the Kor'an a few years ago and haven't read a line, sorry to say. 

I need to read both books straight through some day. 
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2008 at 07:14
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Yes, and I've also heard Genesis' "From Genesis to Revelation" Tongue (which, incredibly, is much more entertaining).... 

LOL

I tried a couple of times in my youth to read it, not for the religious content, but more for the historical perspectives.  Unfortunately, I found it to be extremely tedious.  I think I got through the first 15 or so pages, and even tried skipping around a bit.  But I just couldn't get into it.  What the bible needs is some car chases and space battles.  Tongue
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Utah Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2008 at 13:14
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

This is part of a personal research project.

. . . and in case you're wondering: No I'm NOT Mormon.

OK, but we're still wondering how many wives you have. LOL

LOL LOL

I don't see how these "Fundamentalist Mormons" do it ?
I mean... 3 wives... 4 wives... 5 wives Exclamation

One is enough...just one is a handful.  hope my wife doesn't see this...LOL

Agree 100% on the "seriously" comment.
Excellent insight

Edited by Utah Man - October 19 2008 at 13:20
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2008 at 16:47
Only the parts in 9/8 Smile
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
topofsm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2008 at 18:28
I've read bits and pieces of the Bible. I've meant to read it all the way through several times, though it's quite a monstrous task.

I should read it more too.

BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2008 at 00:53
Read many sections and am familiar with the more well known stories.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>