This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2008 at 15:35
Originally posted by Utah Man Utah Man wrote:

Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Forget English.  Read it in Hebrew and Greek.  It's better that way.

Agree 100%, but how many have the tools, training, skills, & time to do so ?

It doesn't take much, really.  More importantly, though, I would stress the context of the Bible (especially the cultural context).

Learning about the socio-cultural context of the Bible has been one of the most rewarding and revealing studying I have ever done.  I fully recommend
Honor, Patronage, Kinship & Purity: Unlocking New Testament Culture by David deSilva.  I loaned my copy to a friend, and never got it back.  I plan on repurchasing it.

The author demonstrates that much, if not all, of the jargon of the Bible is not esoteric and mystical, but rather something the common man could understand.

Just to give you a taste, the author describes "grace" (charis) and "faith" (pistis) in terms of patronage.  For instance, if a farmer, whose family depended on the land, had a terrible harvest and ran the risk of starving to death, a wealthy patron might adopt that man as a client, supplying his needs (and perhaps more!).  In return, the client (who could not repay the patron) boasts about the generosity (the grace) of the patron to other people (this relates to evangelism). 

In this way, faith was understood not as blind belief, but as trust based on evidence; the client could have assurance that the patron would supply his needs.  The patron mainained his reputation in the community by continually caring for his clients, as well as acquiring new ones. 

So the Bible describes God as a loving patron and the Christian as a trusting client.  It's an amazing and eye-opening study, and helps guard against misinterpretation.
darksideof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2008 at 10:50
I have strong Believes in Christianity...Approve
http://darksideofcollages.blogspot.com/
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Darksideof-Collages/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234