Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Internal news
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMajor Upgrade to the Forum Engine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2012 at 13:13
my ranking Cry lost in the woods ...

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2012 at 15:07
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

Upon whom do we brandish our pitchforks?

You brandish your tuned pitchforks upon the music listed on this site by providing detailed and informative reviews with substance that will make PA the most complete and powerful progressive rock resource. Wink

Yes, it was deliberate as the Top 100 Reviewers list was felt to contribute towards the steady decline in the standard of reviews being submitted for some considerable time. After all, the wrong type of competitive spirit engenders short cuts being taken and given the choice between good and hard work, we will always opt for the former. Like I said earlier in this thread, the information some of you seek i.e. a league table, is available on the collaborators page. A slew of flimsy reviews that tell you next to nothing about the subject matter is no better than zero reviews and strips the site of it's hard won credibility. We have a lot of brilliant reviewers on PA (including yourself) who will continue to make this site the 'first choice stop' for any inquisitive visitor.

Edited by ExittheLemming - February 09 2012 at 15:21
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2012 at 15:29
Well I've gotten back on the horse after a few months layoff...some backhanded compliments for whipping boy Toby Driver on the front page.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2012 at 15:41
Fair enough. One slight detail that might warrant inspection however. A fair few artists have gotten in touch with reviewers and basically used that frontapge list as a check list on whom to make first contact with. Some sort of -really easy to find option- should be provided for them on the frontpage, rather than sending them into the different tabs or forums looking for what - from an outsiders perspective - will be like finding a needle in a haystack.

I think I made a call for some sort of official Progarchives reviewers team to be assembled a few years back, that one might be worth considering again. A group of high quality reviewers that makes themselves available in a visible sport on the frontpage, saying a few words about their particular areas of interest for the ease of the artists as well as whatever label representatives that takes an interest in this site.
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2012 at 16:06

Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

You brandish your tuned pitchforks upon the music listed on this site by providing detailed and informative reviews with substance that will make PA the most complete and powerful progressive rock resource. Wink

Yes, it was deliberate as the Top 100 Reviewers list was felt to contribute towards the steady decline in the standard of reviews being submitted for some considerable time. After all, the wrong type of competitive spirit engenders short cuts being taken and given the choice between good and hard work, we will always opt for the former. Like I said earlier in this thread, the information some of you seek i.e. a league table, is available on the collaborators page. A slew of flimsy reviews that tell you next to nothing about the subject matter is no better than zero reviews and strips the site of it's hard won credibility. We have a lot of brilliant reviewers on PA (including yourself) who will continue to make this site the 'first choice stop' for any inquisitive visitor.

Excellent news. I don't mind. We are now awaiting yours and the powers that is version and definiton of "good" and "bad" in the context of PA. Please post them and do it right now. 

Remember: A cow is a cow in someones eyes and a disfigured sheep in someone else's eyes again. What is the right definition of a cow ?

Remember to think when you think. That will make your thoughts a lot more considered. 

So, what is "good" and what is "bad" ? Or is no reviews at all "good" ? Is a hospital without any patients a better run hospital than a hospital with patients ? 

Please report back with your findings and definitions within hours (which should be no problems for you since you must have known what you wrote). This is a " 'first choice stop' for any inquisitive visitor " and a centre for excellense. Not a place for cheap, nasty accusations. Like the ones yours may be mistaken for.

.......but the removal of the Top 100 reviewers is warmly supported by me. 

Edited by toroddfuglesteg - February 09 2012 at 16:30
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2012 at 16:29
I have taken it for granted that the Lemming and admin team know their Hanslick from start to finish, and easily can outline the merits of a good review versus a not good review at the blink of an eye ;-)
Websites I work with:

My profile on Mixcloud:
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2012 at 16:34
Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:

I have taken it for granted that the Lemming and admin team know their Hanslick from start to finish, and easily can outline the merits of a good review versus a not good review at the blink of an eye ;-)

Fantastic. I am so happy to discover a place like PA who has solved the 100 000 years old quandrum in finding the difference between good and bad in abstract matters like opinions.

Edited by toroddfuglesteg - February 09 2012 at 16:36
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2012 at 16:47
We should rename them The Wise Ones
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2012 at 16:54
Oh well. There has been a call for words of wisdom from the learned sages. It'll be interesting to see if they will come down from their mountain and share their glorious knowledge with this small horde of uncouth, common barbarians.
Websites I work with:

My profile on Mixcloud:
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2012 at 17:07

I fear we will end up with The Don Quixote Appreciation Society.

The lesson is: It is never a bad idea to think through things before they are posted. In particular when the opinions posted may be regarded as cheap personal attacks on the collabs, unfitting for a serious music website.

........Anyway, besides of thankfully getting rid of the top 100 collabs list, what are the other updates and improvements in this upgrade ?   

Edited by toroddfuglesteg - February 09 2012 at 17:18
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2012 at 17:25
To be a bit more serious: Why do the site have collabs if they aren't consulted in matters which directly or indirectly affects their actions? Or at a base minimum informed?

I can see a number of good reasons for why that list of top quantity reviewers was removed, that it deterred new reviewers due to the silly amounts of reviews written by the people on that list as of now one of the topmost. But as it was also a tool and resource for those with a less keen involvement in the site as such and at least to some extent an inspiration or handy tool for the collabs on that list, removing it does have negative side effects. And sugarcoating that decision is a move that should have been thought of beforehand.

Whatever reasonings that were made behind closed doors, and however sound they may have been, someone should have realized that you don't make people happy by punching them in their face, even if the punch is a light and delicate one. The action becomes more important than the effect itself in such instances.

In the long run not an important issue, probably not in the short run either. The handling of it a matter of more  concern than the action itself in my opinion.
Websites I work with:

My profile on Mixcloud:
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2012 at 17:46
I've been thinking about this all day, and the more I do, the more it pisses me off. LOL

It's really unfortunate, but not unlike many management decisions in the workplace.....which is....rather than directly confronting a problem, make a sweeping policy change that ends up punishing the good apples with the bad.  I understand the proclaimed reasoning behind this change, but this was absolutely the wrong way to address it, by pulling this fun and unique little part of our site that the good apples also enjoy.  Our list helped make PA a bit special and was a nice token for the reviewers.  I don't think I'm the only one who enjoyed seeing my fellow collabs milestones.  There are other more direct and appropriate ways to deal with lame reviews if that is what the problem is. 

I will stop regular reviewing as a simple form of protest again this decision, I've got a million other things needing my attention anyway.  I hope eventually the decision will be reversed.   

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2012 at 17:48

What I care about is the signals being sent out in an open to everyone forum  and the lack of any considerations, both intellectual and human considerations taken here. Attacking collabs and any other reviewers (including those who post reviews in good faith) without any good reasonings than "that is my/ours opinions = it is the objective truth" is demeaning ProgArchives into something much nastier than I signed up to when I joined here. It is certainly not making PA into a quality website.

Again: Think. 

I have said my piece (and edited it eight times). Goodnight and good mental health. 

Edited by toroddfuglesteg - February 09 2012 at 18:06
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2012 at 17:56
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

Upon whom do we brandish our pitchforks?

I don't understand the logic behind this.  The top 100 was collaborators only.  If a collaborator is submitting terrible or inappropriate reviews, that collaborator should be addressed.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2012 at 18:36
This is all missing the point just a little. It is not the Collabs and Prog Reviewers who we are concerned about as much as the non-collabs who are trying to emulate them. The "league table" presents a false picture of what being a collaborator is all about - it's not about producing 100s and 1000s of reviews, but of producing good quality reviews. All PRs were chosen because of the quality of what they wrote, not the quantity - which is why there are people out there who have written more than the recommended 30 reviews who were not promoted to PR status.

Newer members looking at the league table see a target to aim at (100s of reviews), not a goal to be achieved (accurate reviewing).

Anyone who has seen, or complained about, people flooding the front-page with multiple brief, poorly written reviews that rapidly push the longer, well considered and well written reviews off the page should see what we've done here as not quite the villainous "kick in the face" that some have mistaken it for. Stern Smile

What?
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2012 at 18:43
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I've been thinking about this all day, and the more I do, the more it pisses me off. LOL

It's really unfortunate, but not unlike many management decisions in the workplace.....which is....rather than directly confronting a problem, make a sweeping policy change that ends up punishing the good apples with the bad.  I understand the proclaimed reasoning behind this change, but this was absolutely the wrong way to address it, by pulling this fun and unique little part of our site that the good apples also enjoy.  Our list helped make PA a bit special and was a nice token for the reviewers.  I don't think I'm the only one who enjoyed seeing my fellow collabs milestones.  There are other more direct and appropriate ways to deal with lame reviews if that is what the problem is. 

I will stop regular reviewing as a simple form of protest again this decision, I've got a million other things needing my attention anyway.  I hope eventually the decision will be reversed.   

Jim, I hope that you do stick around, as one who has enjoyed your reviews and who has bought several albums based on them...
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2012 at 18:45
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

This is all missing the point just a little. It is not the Collabs and Prog Reviewers who we are concerned about as much as the non-collabs who are trying to emulate them. The "league table" presents a false picture of what being a collaborator is all about - it's not about producing 100s and 1000s of reviews, but of producing good quality reviews. All PRs were chosen because of the quality of what they wrote, not the quantity - which is why there are people out there who have written more than the recommended 30 reviews who were not promoted to PR status.

Newer members looking at the league table see a target to aim at (100s of reviews), not a goal to be achieved (accurate reviewing).

Anyone who has seen, or complained about, people flooding the front-page with multiple brief, poorly written reviews that rapidly push the longer, well considered and well written reviews off the page should see what we've done here as not quite the villainous "kick in the face" that some have mistaken it for. Stern Smile

I don't see this as a villainous move at all, but can we be sure that these "review mavericks" just want their names on the chart (even if they can't get theirs on there without quality reviews per the review guidelines), or is their motive something else?  Perhaps they are legitimately opinionated but do a poor job expressing their views.

I, like Jim, did enjoy seeing others move along (and I just hit #39! LOL), and it was a handy way to go right to some of my favorite reviewers' pages to read what they've written.  Embarrassed
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2012 at 18:54
If you're concerned about "machine gunners" of poor reviews, a legit issue, why not deal with them...rather than doing something which will likely not have any positive affect on the problem?   Identify those reviewers who most abuse the standards you desire, warn them once or twice, then if they continue, delete the account. 

But beyond that......the main thing is that this "fix" isn't going to change those people.  Do you really think the non-collabs who post the throwaway reviews will stop because that section is gone?  I don't think so.  All this does is remove a nice feature from the site. 

Edited by Finnforest - February 09 2012 at 18:55

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2012 at 19:23
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

There is an easy fix to this.

Whatever your highly subjective views determine is good reviews is given the value 0 and is getting kept on the frontpage for 12, 24, 36, 72 hours or how long it takes.

Whatever your highly subjective views determine is bad reviews is given the value 2 and falls of the frontpage after 15 minutes or shorter. 

Why has this not been done years ago if this was such a problem for PA ? 

Another thing: You believe those of who reviews does it for being high on the list. That is not  true. Some of us review for the fun of it or any other reasons. The list does not mean anything to me and surely; for a lot of others too. Don't assume anything and don't think you know the reasons why people are reviewing. 

Edited by toroddfuglesteg - February 09 2012 at 19:50
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2012 at 19:58
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

I don't see this as a villainous move at all, but can we be sure that these "review mavericks" just want their names on the chart (even if they can't get theirs on there without quality reviews per the review guidelines), or is their motive something else?  Perhaps they are legitimately opinionated but do a poor job expressing their views.
Having watched this process as an Admin for the past 4 years I'm pretty confident that it is contributary. People, especially newer members, do not read Guidelines and FAQs - they follow the examples on the front page. I think there is a difference between a poor review and a poorly expressed one.

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

If you're concerned about "machine gunners" of poor reviews, a legit issue, why not deal with them...rather than doing something which will likely not have any positive affect on the problem?   Identify those reviewers who most abuse the standards you desire, warn them once or twice, then if they continue, delete the account. 

But beyond that......the main thing is that this "fix" isn't going to change those people.  Do you really think the non-collabs who post the throwaway reviews will stop because that section is gone?  I don't think so.  All this does is remove a nice feature from the site. 
Dealing with flood-reviews, poor reviews and reviews that don't "talk in some detail about each album" on a one-to-one basis is reactive and time consuming and does not stop the problem. It is better to be proactive and not encourage them.

No one can guess or predict whether there is any likelihood that this will not have any positive affect on the problem. Maybe it won't, but we think it will and only time will tell for sure.

As has already been pointed out, this feature hasn't entirely dissapeared, though I admit that only PRs are sorted on review-count on the Collaborator Page (...also note that 7 Admins and 5 ex-Admins appeared on the Top 100 list so it's not just the Collabs and SCs who have been affected). 

Originally posted by toroddfuglesteg toroddfuglesteg wrote:

There is an easy fix to this.

Whatever your highly subjective views determine is good reviews is given the value 0 and is getting kept on the frontpage for 12, 24, 36, 72 hours or how long it takes.

Whatever your highly subjective views determine is bad reviews is given the value 2 and falls of the frontpage after 15 minutes or shorter. 

Why kicking up a conflict when you could have done this ?

Another thing: You believe those of who reviews does it for being high on the list. That is not  true. Some of us review for the fun of it or any other reasons. The list does not mean anything to me and surely; for a lot of others too. Don't assume anything and don't think you know the reasons why people are reviewing.

Sorry Torodd, but that is not a solution and would create more problems than it hopes to fix. [okay, I got the sarcasm in the "highly subjective views" comment but], we're not being subjective or judgemental here, which is why no one has responded to your previous call-out. 

So, I say again: " It is not the Collabs and Prog Reviewers who we are concerned about as much as the non-collabs who are trying to emulate them" ... which is why I honestly do not believe that anyone here is writing reviews solely to climb up the league table, which is also why no Admin has actually said people are writing reviews to climb up the table in this thread, which is also why I don't understand how anyone would get quite so pissed off when it was removed from the Front Page (given that "The list does not mean anything to me").

Edited by Dean - February 09 2012 at 20:02
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>