Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Journey of the Yak release new CD
    Posted: October 29 2008 at 17:06
Now here's a novel concept:

An album containing instrumental melodic prog - made by Martin Morgan, Dave Speight and Gary Bennet - where payment is of your own choosing and the proceeds goes towards rescued animals at "Tower Hill Stables animal sanctuary" - currently holding some 400 animals.

Nice concept - link for the ones who'd like to check out more: http://www.yaksongs.com/joty4.html
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
yaksongs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2008 at 18:05
Thanks for the plug Windhawk !

Just a little more detail for any interested parties - this Yak album features Dave Speight on drums and Gary Bennett on bass (as well as me on keys). Dave Speight also plays for Nick May's Whimwise (Nick is ex- The Enid) and Dave also plays for Peter Banks (ex-Yes).

The album was recorded between April & August this year & as Windhawk says - all proceeds to charity.

You can hear the band streaming at www.myspace.com/yaktunes

We have sold 25 so far raising £250 for the charity which is great news. I have sent a couple of dozen out to various review sites today, so as soon as they start to come in, I will update the forum here.

All the best

Martin from Yak

www.yaksongs.com
yaksongs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2008 at 11:41

Reviews are starting to come in now & can be read at this link:

http://www.yaksongs.com/ReviewsJOTY.html - including 'Windhawk's' review which is available within these archives too. 

Album can be ordered at http://www.yaksongs.com/joty4.html

Best regards

Martin

www.yaksongs.com
yaksongs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2008 at 15:53
Quick update - sales up to 82 ! plus a Yak interview went out today on the Dividing Line prog music radio station

http://thedividingline.com/ - check out the new show called The European Perspective - the show is available as a podcast & the Yak interview starts at 58 mins & goes on for an hour (includes lots of music!)

Cheers

Martin from Yak
www.yaksongs.com
Takeshi Kovacs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2008 at 14:00
Found this a very welcome addition to my collection, and I'm enjoying getting to know the beast that is Yak. 
Open the gates of the city wide....
Check out my music taste: http://www.last.fm/user/TakeshiKovacs/
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2008 at 02:16
Thanks Windhawk, I've heard for the first time. Great sound!

Ouch? Why isn't the albums by Yak available on webshops? Shocked
Please let me know how I can get the albums...
yaksongs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2008 at 06:25
Hi - thanks for your interest

Simple answer is in order to maximise the cash that goes to the charity that Yak CD's support !

You can order the new album at Yak's website, specifically at this link

If you use the paypal button, the "donation" will be recieved by the charity straight away. If you would rather send a cheque there is an on line form to complete & I will get in touch by e mail with details of where to send it.

Any CD's ordered will be sent within 24 hours - although I don't know how long it will take to reach Japan from the UK - it will clearly go by airmail - at my cost.

Cheers

Martin from Yak

www.yaksongs.com
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2008 at 08:31
Thanks Martin.
Now I've visited Yak's website and made a donation.
I'm looking forward to listening to fantastic sound.
yaksongs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2008 at 08:53

Thank you very much !

Your CD will be on its way tomorrow - your support is very much appreciated

Martin from Yak

www.yaksongs.com
yaksongs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2008 at 07:46

Check out the latest album review at:

Happy Christmas all

Yaksongs

www.yaksongs.com
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2008 at 17:32
Thanks Martin.
I could get your album yesterday.
PERFECT SOUND! Clap

Yak - Journey of the Yak CD (album) cover

Journey of the Yak

by YAK (Neo-Progressive)

DamoXt7942
(DamoX)
4 stars Yak, please count me in for your journey.

Sound of wind, wind-like keyboard sound, and rumble sound of rhythm section...by these solemn sounds, the Yak's journey's got started. Everyone might think the core of this band is keyboard play...indeed, Martin's play is so brilliant and beautiful, and he should let me imagine the sound by Asturias (the Japanese progressive unit). But I'm sure their streaming sound and wave can't be born without the rhythm section. Dave's drumming and Gary's bass play are likely to be hidden behind the great keyboard...no, no! Exactly their strict and natural rhythm should be the essence of Yak. Of course, that is, only these three members could form Yak's style, and this style could be called as Yak. Their excellent journey must continue, and we all fans hope that. The last song's fade-out-and-in should be the suggestion of the Yak's journey, I consider.

I appreciate your work. 4 stars.

yaksongs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2009 at 16:12
The new CD has just been announced as the album of the month at the Progressive Rock & Progressive Metal website at this link

You can order a copy at http://www.yaksongs.com/joty4.html and dont forget that the asking price of £10 goes direct to a charity (Tower Hill Stables Animal Sanctuary). This is the suggested donation, you can donate more OR less.

Thanks

Martin from Yak

www.yaksongs.com
yaksongs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2009 at 06:56
Check out this new review of 'Journey of the Yak' on the Prognaut site

Cheers
www.yaksongs.com
Clepsydra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2009 at 16:01
Just ordered it!
It sounds great!

Will it ship soon?
yaksongs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2009 at 07:09
Hi,

Yes, it will be in the post to you on Monday morning. Thanks for your support

Martin from Yak

www.yaksongs.com
yaksongs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2009 at 07:39
The CD is now also available from Progpulsion the Prog mail order company in France

Here is what they say on their site (translated ish)

YAK is a splendid symphonic surprise/delight with delicate references straight from the 70's with vintage keyboards, Moog, Mellotron and other machines that'll make the fans of the 70's movement green with envy. We are reminded of Genesis, Pink Floyd, Focus, The Enid, Solaris or Asturias sometimes quite vigorously, sometimes more delicately in the warm sounds of the 70's (the production is remarkable) A very beautiful instrumental journey at the finale (end). A must have for all lovers of symphonic, melodic and instrumental progressive music

Here is the link to the page concerned:

CD also available direct from Yak at http://www.yaksongs.com

Regards

Martin

www.yaksongs.com
yaksongs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2009 at 16:24
Jerry Lucky (jerrylucky.com) author of several prog related books including "The Progressive Rock Files" has just published this review of Yaks latest album:

"Once again I am amazed at how much progressive rock there is out there. For the past couple of weeks I’ve been listening to the band Yak that hail out of the UK, Essex to be exact. I guess you could call it their fourth CD, if you include a couple discs that consisted of live jam sessions. Yak’s new disc is entitled Journey of the Yak and consists of six wonderful instrumental tracks created by a trio of musicians, Martin Morgan (keyboards), Dave Speight (drums) and Gary Bennett (bass). For the record the band originally came together as a quartet in 1982 but folded a couple years later, only to come back onto the music scene in 2004. It’s also probably worth noting that Speight currently plays with the Enid-offshoot entitled Whimwise.

As mentioned Journey of the Yak features six instrumental compositions and other than two short three-minuters the others are all just under or a little over ten-minutes. I’m reminded a little of band’s like The Enid but more perhaps by the Enid offshoot Craft who released one album back in the eighties. The music is highly structured and elaborately arranged but isn’t quite as orchestral sounding as The Enid, but still very symphonic in nature. These tracks are all pretty up-tempo and at times really place an emphasis on the rock part. Each of these tracks will move through any number of dramatic sections all hinged together by moving themes and classically styled musical motifs. And while never overly busy or complicated the structure of these songs is quite varied and ever changing. Another word there’s lots going on in each track. We’re treated to many recurring themes, excellent Mellotron samples, changing dynamics, all manor of keyboards, brilliant melodic riffs and more than enough symphonic flair to keep you coming back for more.

Not knowing what to expect it’s always a special treat to be won over by such excellent music. Journey of the Yak is music that will easily appeal to a wide swath of progressive rock fans. If you’re into the trio approach of bands like ELP or Craft or the more symphonic Japanese bands like Outer Limits or certainly bands like the Enid or Whimwise, well then Yak is right for you. I’m really liking this record and highly recommend it. Great job!"

The CD is available at http://www.yaksongs.com/joty4.html and all cash goes to the charity Tower Hill Stables Animal Sanctuary which has no Yaks, but loads of almost everything else !

www.yaksongs.com
yaksongs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2009 at 17:04
Review just published in the June/July issue of the Classic Rock Society (CRS) magazine

Yak was originally formed in 1982, folded in 1984, but was kept alive by keyboard player and songwriter Martin Morgan. He obviously has a great sense of humour, for example in 2004 Yak released "Dark side of the Duck", the copyright of this recording is owned by "Yaksongs and a small furry creature from the crab nebulae" and "all instruments fashioned from wood, metal & plastic".
Yak are a three piece instrumental band comprising of keyboards, drums and bass. To me they often sound like a combination of early Genesis and possibly what ELP would/could have been like today? However, you would be forgiven for thinking that the numerous keyboard solos were actually guitar solos, the sound is so similar and the delivery of them so slick and quick. there are only six tracks on this 48 minute CD. so you know each track is a good prog-length. The musicianship is superb and there is not one poor track on the disc. What is surprising is that all costs have been privately funded and the entire proceeds from sales will be donated to the rescued animals at Tower Hill Stables Animal Sanctuary

Richard Watts - Classic Rock Society

www.yaksongs.com
yaksongs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2009 at 06:56
The Journey of the Yak album was recently reviewed by Raziq Rauf in the new Classic Rock Presents PROG magazine.

Here is what he says:

It might be over 20 years later than planned but it’s probably even better than was ever intended. After the band’s initial dissolution in 1984, main Yak protagonist Martin Morgan kept the musical melting pot boiling and after a solo keyboard effort earlier this decade, the symphonic proggers regrouped. Having created this instrumental extravaganza, they should be rather pleased with themselves.
Harking back to the golden 70s era of prog – their original inspiration, no doubt – there are four well-developed and experimental tracks (plus a couple of shorter songs) which sit somewhere between symphonic rock and harmonic, atmospheric pieces that seem more geared toward achieving a certain mood and ambience, rather than actively accomplishing a hugely complex orchestration. Along with Morgan’s magical ability to transform his keyboard into an erstwhile guitar, it’s this organic feeling to this charity album that the band only really cares about how the album sounds that really gives The Journey Of The Yak its character.
While the persistent focus upon the yak – of all creatures – is curious, you should cross your fingers that it’s not another 20 years before the hairy Tibetan bovine inspires this Essex trio once again.
Raziq Rauf

Furthermore, issue 4 of the mag (30th Sept) features the title track of this album on the CD that comes with the mag.

You can order a copy at www.yaksongs.com/joty4.html by making a donation to the charity Tower Hill Stables Animal Sanctuary - I will post your CD by return.

601 sold so far & the albums 1st anniversary tomorrow !

Thanks

Martin from Yak

www.yaksongs.com
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2009 at 06:59
Oh man - has a year gone past this fast?
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>