Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNZ Prog - Ragnarok

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
dawning_horn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: NZ Prog - Ragnarok
    Posted: May 12 2008 at 18:13
Originally posted by Audiophile Audiophile wrote:

I have Nooks on mini lp. Its good but not great. Theres a 'glam' break ala Gary Glitter during one of the songs which is ill advised. I haven't spun it for a while; will do so soon.

Progressive music is basically non-exisitant in New Zealand.

The 'Glam' break in 'Waterfall / Captain Fagg' off the 'Nooks' album was actually more of a tribute to Marc Bolan, and a comment on the emergence of disco, as these lyrics show :

"Alright M.B.'s boots Rock n' Roll"

M.B. being Marc Bolan (Ramon York, Lead guitar even dressed the part for the filming) and :

"Yes when I hit the city,
 a whisper becomes a shout;
 we now have things called 'discos'
 that all help to pound it out"

is very much a lament of the changing face of music...prog (at the time) on its way out...the bands days r numbered, and maybe in fine RUNIC tradition, the band foresaw their own end.... 

Incidentely, the band had a particular stronghold on the east coast of the north island of NZ , and , interestingly enough, there is a small area of Scandinavian settlements there...places like Alfredton (Alfred, an early english king I believe, of danish/viking heredity) also, Dannevirke, and Norsewood. I drive thru these places regularly, and always, my mind turns to those great days of the mid 70's, when NZ prog was alive and well..

Both the 'Ragnarok' and 'Nooks' albums were way ahead of anything in terms of pure originality, and certainly in my humble opinion, stand the test of time to anyone who loves prog, and 'feels' Nordic Mythology. Musically , even now, I am transported to those inner realms of deep mystic reverberation; my heart is strengthened, and my resolve to face life anew and transmute all experiences is underpinned by the music of this GREAT band.

ULLR!!!!!

dawning_horn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2008 at 17:51
Very pleased to announce the remastering of all Ragnarok's albums by the band's keyboardist Andre Jayet. I've been in touch with him and purchased all three CD's (remastered from the original 2 track stereo master reel to reel tapes). These tapes are over 30 yrs old, so I think an excellent job has been done, and it's just FANTASTIC to hear the band in all it's glory.

I myself was in the audience at the Wellington Gig of the 1976 Jeff Beck / Jan Hammer Tour, where Ragnarok supported. They played an amazing set off their albums, and even Jeff commented, when he walked on stage "well, THAT'S going to be difficult to match, but we''ll try". Obviously, he blew everyone away that night with The Jan Hammer Group, but he was certainly impressed with our very own Ragnarok.

If anyone is interested in these albums, they can contact Andre Jayet here:

Cd's are A$20 each (he lives in Alice Springs) and I believe there r a few left.

Their music remains some of my all time favourite progressive rock, and it has been my friend for many years.......ULLR !!!!!! 
russellk View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2008 at 15:38
OK, this thread re-emerges. In the interim I've acquired the DRAGON 2-for-1 CD of their two early prog albums, "Universal Radio' and 'Scented Gardens for the Blind'. Very nice it is too, though by no means essential. Most definitely prog, in a lightweight, CAMEL kind of way, with naive humour and drug/fantasy subjects.

Which raises a question, of course. Ought DRAGON to be here on the Archives? Two prog albums followed by a pile of pure pop albums. Hmmm.
livesound View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2008 at 18:29
Originally posted by Trotsky Trotsky wrote:

Originally posted by livesound livesound wrote:

Have just finished re-doing most of the live Ragnarok music we had left,its was all done on two track so have done the best to get it to sound as good as posable with what we had to start with,will keep all posted about a release time,cheers Both Ragnarok albums maybe released on CD also later on.Good to see so many people still interested in our music,ty.

Great news livesound

Hi all,well considering this is Kiwi Music month here in New Zealand,we,been Ragnarok would like to offer to anyone that would be interested in getting copies of Ragnarok Albums on Cd,we have Ragnarok (Ragnarok), Ragnarok (Nooks),and also a new Ragnarok Live Cd taken from shows we did though out NZ from 1976 - 1978,Cd's cost twenty NZD each plus cost of posting. Anyone interested can get in touch with me at  [email protected]  
Trotsky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2005 at 21:50

And a final bump,  ... in case anyone has any more thoughts on Kiwi prog before I head out there ...

Cheers!

"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

"No" replies the unhumbled optimist "You are only the present."
valravennz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2005 at 22:13

Have just finished re-doing most of the live Ragnarok music we had left,its was all done on two track so have done the best to get it to sound as good as posable with what we had to start with,will keep all posted about a release time,cheers Both Ragnarok albums maybe released on CD also later on.Good to see so many people still interested in our music,ty.

Awesome, Livesound. Look forward to hearing an update.

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

Trotsky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2005 at 21:44

Great news livesound

"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

Starette View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2005 at 17:49

Hehe- nope but she's 'progressive' in the sense that she not only sings but writes....children's stories. (my latest surprising-discovery as we're studying her book in one of my papers at Uni now.) She's probably the best thing to come out of my college (St Marys- Ponsonby) and she's reeeeally lovely.

Livesound- that sounds fantastic!!

50 tonne angel falls to the earth...
horza View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2005 at 17:33
is kiri te kanawa prog ??

Originally posted by darkshade:

Calling Mike Portnoy a bad drummer is like calling Stephen Hawking an idiot.
livesound View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2005 at 08:09

Trotsky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2005 at 22:54

Originally posted by Starette Starette wrote:

the service is crap but the music is....infinite.

I'll take that  ... Cheers, guys!

Starette View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2005 at 05:55
You will find Valravennz is a bank of useful information in most cases... (Sorry if I sound like I'm buttering you up Val- I don't mean to.) Real Groovy is very good- we have one here in Auckland too and the service is crap but the music is....infinite.
50 tonne angel falls to the earth...
Audiophile View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2005 at 00:53

I have Nooks on mini lp. Its good but not great. Theres a 'glam' break ala Gary Glitter during one of the songs which is ill advised. I haven't spun it for a while; will do so soon.

Progressive music is basically non-exisitant in New Zealand.

The best local album I've got in recent years was by a guitarist Nigel Gavin called Thrum. All original, all-instrumental music played on a custom made seven string acoustic guitar. Its a superb album.

Great to see so many Kiwis' at this site!

Trotsky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2005 at 00:41
Thanks a lot, val ... much appreciated

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2005 at 22:28
Originally posted by Trotsky Trotsky wrote:

Any tips?

Also, if I were to sum up, Ragnarok and Airlord are the main classic NZ prog bands to look out for, with Dragon and Terra Firma also worth checking out? But none of them are particularly easy to find right?

Cheers!

No unfortunately, these groups are not easy to find. Note: You may see quite a bit of "Dragon" on sale. Their later non-prog more pop albums are quite freely available. It is their very early albums that you should look for ie:

• Scented Gardens For the Blind (Vertigo 6360903 (Vinyl) 1974)
  • Universal Radio (Vertigo 6360902 (Vinyl) 1974)

Cheers, Trotsky

- Robert Fripp

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2005 at 22:07
^I am not terribly familiar with Wellington's second-hand record shops, but Real Groovy is a very good start. They have outlets in the major NZ cities. They also may be able to direct you to nearby second-hand stores. Good-Luck in your purchases

- Robert Fripp

Trotsky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2005 at 21:58
yup figured this thread would slide down ... timing's wierd isn't it ... I think I log on after most people in NZ have logged off ... either that or no one's got an answer ^

Progbear View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2005 at 03:17
Originally posted by Starette Starette wrote:

How did you get the Nooks album progbear?

The Japanese label Edison released it on CD about 1,000 years ago. I got in just under the wire to buy it before the pressing ran out. For once, I was on the ball. Usually I miss out on these sorts of things.
[IMG] http://www.denness.net/rpi/u/Progbear/fs/8/w/500/cp/2/s/5/si g.png">
Trotsky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2005 at 03:04

Sorry to resurrect this thread for purely personal reasons ... but will be stopping by really briefly (for less than 2 days) in Wellington on a work assignment ... can anyone point me the way of cool second hand music shops there (particularly one with a decent prog selection)? ... This is the most interesting looking store I've tracked down ...

REAL GROOVY WELLINGTON
250 Cuba Street, Wellington Central
PO Box 6418, Wellington
Phone (04) 385-2020, Fax (04) 385-2030
Hours: 9am-6pm Monday to Thursday, 9am-9pm Friday, 9am-6pm Saturday, 9am-6pm Sunday

Any tips?

Also, if I were to sum up, Ragnarok and Airlord are the main classic NZ prog bands to look out for, with Dragon and Terra Firma also worth checking out? But none of them are particularly easy to find right?

Cheers!

russellk View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2005 at 05:14
Oooh! Though the credit card is empty. Will have to wait. No, I'll sell one of
the kids. Do I have any left?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>