Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNZ Prog - Ragnarok

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: NZ Prog - Ragnarok
    Posted: April 19 2005 at 00:56
Has anyone heard any stuff by the band Ragnarok? Possibly the ONLY band to come out of New Zealand (hardly surprising, seeing we produce some of the worst music in the world).

I can't find them ANYWHERE! Although I've read a review that said they were worth the trouble....Grr!
And Jesus said unto John, "come forth and receive eternal life..."
Unfortunately, John came fifth and was stuck with a toaster.
chorus of one View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2005 at 02:36

I'd like to check them out too, mainly for the novelty of Kiwi prog really. I've heard Nooks is a pretty good album, haven't managed to hear any though.

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2005 at 03:24

Well I asked for their inclusion in the Archives (Thanks M@X) but album are hard to come by.

I inly know of Music Emporium in Namur (Southern Belgium) and managed to get an ear on one of the album. Very symphonic and prefiguring future neo-prog.

New Zealand did also come out with Dragon (also very symphonic) yet to be added for inclusion . 2 albums , I gather one called Scented Garden For The Blind.

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
valravennz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2005 at 04:23

I have not heard any of Ragnarok's music either. I have seen the odd vinyl album come up for auction on"Trademe" (a NZ online auction site similar to Ebay). The same goes for Dragon - I never thought the latter as being progressive rock, more pop rock. However, we learn something everyday. Try out these links below - they give great details on each of these groups:

http://www.sergent.com.au/dragon.html

http://www.sergent.com.au/ragnarok.html

If I could get my hands on a recording I would love to hear some of Ragnarok's music and  Dragon's earlier work. Cheers.

Ragnarok

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2005 at 05:42

Wow, great links!!!

I never knew Dragon made so many albums, though. But the one I mentioned Garden is also ultra symphonic almost to a poppish manner.

I am rather surprised that they did not mention the live album from Ragnarok.

For others reading this, do not confuse yourself with the  much better known is the Swedish Ragnarok and there is also a metal band called that also.

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Rob The Good View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2005 at 07:38
Oh I know about Dragon...they made a couple of Proggy albums but then went to Aus and went pop.

Real Groovy (here in Auckland) has a website where you can order Dragon's "Scented Gardens for the Blind" (remastered too!) for about $40NZ or so.

As for Ragnarok though, they're a mystery. If anyone finds a cd of theirs it might be an idea to upload some of their stuff so they don't sink into obscurity!
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2005 at 08:15
Great! Here's the chance to convince my band to move to NZ and clean up on the Southern Hemisphere prog circuit!

The question is Rob, which island is more prog, North or South?
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2005 at 08:22
Hehe...North of course
livesound View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2005 at 08:20
Originally posted by Rob The Good Rob The Good wrote:

Has anyone heard any stuff by the band Ragnarok? Possibly the ONLY band to come out of New Zealand (hardly surprising, seeing we produce some of the worst music in the world).

I can't find them ANYWHERE! Although I've read a review that said they were worth the trouble....Grr!
There maybe a live CD of Ragnarok next year when they have NZ Music mouth,if all goes well,plus maybe the release of both albums on CD,just a matter of getting all to agree.
livesound View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2005 at 08:44
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Wow, great links!!!

I never knew Dragon made so many albums, though. But the one I mentioned Garden is also ultra symphonic almost to a poppish manner.

I am rather surprised that they did not mention the live album from Ragnarok.

For others reading this, do not confuse yourself with the  much better known is the Swedish Ragnarok and there is also a metal band called that also.

Hi there,try this lick for some info on Ragnarok live album,not sure who released it,as have not heard it myself also,but would love a copy of it just to see what it sounds like,as i did sound for them for some years.
russellk View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2005 at 09:21
Ah, Dragon's Universal Radio! I had that! I think it had a song called
'Weetabix' on it -- I don't remember much else about it, really. Fairly out-
there stuff.
Starette View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2005 at 17:39

Originally posted by livesound livesound wrote:

Originally posted by Rob The Good Rob The Good wrote:

There maybe a live CD of Ragnarok next year when they have NZ Music mouth,if all goes well,plus maybe the release of both albums on CD,just a matter of getting all to agree.

That news sounds...fantastic. Well I'm definitely crossing my fingers that all bloody-well DO agree. If that comes out then it would seem that a miracle has ocurred. (Not that I agree we produce "the worst music in the world" Rob, as I've said before- some of the obscure stuff we produce is pretty amazing. Stop focusing on the mainstream Scribe/8-Foot Sativa bad-english rap-crap! STOP IT!!) To be honest I spent most of last year looking at the GOOD things on c4s 'Homegrown' programme.......please don't kill me.

Mutton Birds, SJD, Front Lawn= lovely and Goodshirt isn't too bad either. But that's not prog and I'm going off topic. I've yet to hear any Dragon. I should really make a start.

A swedish prog band, a random metal band and a kiwi prog band with the same name: what does Ragnarok mean/stand-for anyway? Hopefully I don't seem *too* ignorant by asking that question. If I had the time I'd be googling it- but it's less hassle just to ask.

50 tonne angel falls to the earth...
hotbelly View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2005 at 18:18

Ragnarok is the Norse version of the Apocalypse, or the end of the world. According to legend a great winter will cover the earth and Fenrir the wolf will swallow the sun. Then (and here my knowledge gets hazy) the world will be reborn, the vast majority of people will die and the rest will live in a utopian paradise.

And on a side note, it is cool to see so many Kiwis here (I am a Wellingtonian myself). I never thought prog was so popular.

Starette View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2005 at 02:23

.... Norse mythology! (Thanks hotbelly- I'm a boring-old-Aucklander btw. Though I could've been a Wellingtonian for a year but I chose not to move.) That was one of my first guesses as to whereabouts that name came from- as I hear it's quite a popular topic for some Prog bands. I'm new to Prog (got introduced to it about 2 months ago) so I tend to get my facts a bit mixed-up as theres so much to take in. But I'm interested in Mythology- so that's one of the few facts I remember.

I'm interested in it to the extent where I'm shortly going to put on too much make-up, a really cute, STUPID, red outfit and wait to lead a red version of Tiresias on stage in a University of Auckland production of Antigone. "Take a little trip back with father Tiresias..." Sorry, once again I'm going off on a tangent.

Great links valravennz! I'm not being a feminist when I say that it's quite a nice feeling when i see a female lead vocalist in a Prog Band- rare as it is. I currently have Tarja Turunen's gorgeous voice stuck in my head (Nightwish). It might pay to get some of  Lea Maalfrid's solo work- it should be interesting...but hopefully it's not hard to find.

Edited by Starette
50 tonne angel falls to the earth...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2005 at 02:56
Originally posted by Starette Starette wrote:

.... Norse mythology! (Thanks hotbelly- I'm a boring-old-Aucklander btw. Though I could've been a Wellingtonian for a year but I chose not to move.) That was one of my first guesses as to whereabouts that name came from- as I hear it's quite a popular topic for some Prog bands. I'm new to Prog (got introduced to it about 2 months ago) so I tend to get my facts a bit mixed-up as theres so much to take in. But I'm interested in Mythology- so that's one of the few facts I remember.

I'm interested in it to the extent where I'm shortly going to put on too much make-up, a really cute, STUPID, red outfit and wait to lead a red version of Tiresias on stage in a University of Auckland production of Antigone. "Take a little trip back with father Tiresias..." Sorry, once again I'm going off on a tangent.

Great links valravennz! I'm not being a feminist when I say that it's quite a nice feeling when i see a female lead vocalist in a Prog Band- rare as it is. I currently have Tarja Turunen's gorgeous voice stuck in my head (Nightwish). It might pay to get some of  Lea Maalfrid's solo work- it should be interesting...but hopefully it's not hard to find.

Hi - Im a "boring old Aucklander" too - newly so as a Mainlander by birth and upbringing.  Have been interested in Prog Music since the late 1960's so a very long time fan.

I digress - its great to see another Kiwi female in the forum. You are not being a feminist re: your comment above. I think it is great to see a female lead vocalist in a Prog Band. As for Tarja Turunen - I adore her voice - I am a big fan of Nightwish.

I really hope that Ragnarok's albums are going to be re-released soon and I would love to be able to get hold of Lea Maalfrid's solo works as well as Dragon's earlier albums.

BTW congrats on your recent promo to Collaborator - outstanding - keep up the great work

Cheers

- Robert Fripp

russellk View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2005 at 03:10
There are quite a few of us NZers here, aren't there?

I'm a Hamiltonian now, but originally from Christchurch. Makes life hard,
being born with two heads and one eye.

I always wondered about the relative absence of prog rock in New Zealand. I
wonder if it has anything to do with our hesitancy and insecurity as a nation.
The bombastic excess of prog would be well beyond our national
consciousness.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2005 at 03:16
^^ I couldn't agree more with your statement. Unfortunately we as a Nation have become immersed somewhat in the "Hip Hop/Rap" culture. I don't think there are too many of the young teens and twenty-somethings who would know where to start with Prog Rock - that really saddens me

- Robert Fripp

hotbelly View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2005 at 05:29

Originally posted by russellk russellk wrote:

There are quite a few of us NZers here, aren't there?

I'm a Hamiltonian now, but originally from Christchurch. Makes life hard,
being born with two heads and one eye.

I always wondered about the relative absence of prog rock in New Zealand. I
wonder if it has anything to do with our hesitancy and insecurity as a nation.
The bombastic excess of prog would be well beyond our national
consciousness.

I think the tired old "tall poppy" argument can be used here....New Zealanders tend to frown on excess, broadly speaking. Hence the most popular rock bands are Goodshirt, Shihad etc, who play straight-forward guitar driven rock. Symphonic elements would be ridiculed in the current artistic climate, methinks.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2005 at 06:41
^ You are right there -anyone thinking of going out and starting a Prog Rock group would be laughed off the stage, commercially speaking. I know there are a few "Metal Heads" out there who appreciate progressive metal - groups eg: DT, Opeth, Ayreon, POS and Nightwish. Perhaps a few more people, other than those of us raised on Prog rock in the 70's, will come to appreciate it as a music genre in a broader sense. Of course, I exclude those NZers who have recently come to appreciate Prog rock and others who have found it over the years since it's inception.

- Robert Fripp

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2005 at 06:45
I think it's because our country is so incredibly young.

The US & England have such a great literary and cultural heritage to draw material from...we can only look overseas really.

To be honest, I always see NZ as a bit of a punk nation: so much of our music veers towards punk it's not funny (coupled with the fact that the country is young, naive and insecure...fits perfectly!). If it's not punk it's rap/hip-hop, and we all know how dreadful that is.

New Zealand's Art Rock Revolution is coming.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>