0 [0.00%]
2 [3.92%]
2 [3.92%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2008 at 03:39
well, I like something from each one of those directors on that list, out of those I'd say Lynch being my favorite and most consistent,

I also think Roman Polanski, Lars von Trier and Andrei Tarkovksy should have been added - each have a very high batting average IMO
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2008 at 03:46
my favorite dictators?  Slobodan Milosevic I guess

kevdog View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2008 at 16:54
I like most from the list, but if i only had to pick one it would be David Lynch. Blue Velvet and Mullholland Dr. are two of my fave. movies ever.
I look at the world and see no understanding...
DT
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2008 at 13:14
Originally posted by kevdog kevdog wrote:

I like most from the list, but if i only had to pick one it would be David Lynch. Blue Velvet and Mullholland Dr. are two of my fave. movies ever.

From your avatar I would have thought you´d pick Fincher
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
mrcozdude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2008 at 13:38
No Michael Bay or Paul W.S Anderson? I'm disgusted!

I'd probaly go for Kubrick but personally i really like Gilliam at the momment.

Edited by mrcozdude - December 15 2008 at 13:39
St.Cleve Chronicle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2008 at 13:41
Alfred Hitchcock, anyone?
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2008 at 22:12
Well I voted for Ridley but had Hitchcock been on the list...... I mean North by Northwest (the train scene = pure erotica without any sex!) , To Catch a Thief (memorable scene with Grace Kelly as the fireworks explode in the background= perverse dialogue to boot) , Notorious, Birds, Psycho, Vertigo etc.......I mean really, thish izh mosht preposhteroush ! LOL
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2008 at 07:15
Ed Wood was a directorial genius. Blue Velvet and Eraserhead are a couple of my faves. I like Mel Gibson for some reason.
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2008 at 21:00
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

. I like Mel Gibson for some reason.

I think that took a lot of courage to sayLOL
1800iareyay View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2008 at 21:54
It's hard to pick my favorite. It'd probably come down to Scorsese or Kubrick for the ability to mix art into something completely and totally enjoyable, but I love so many more. I'll focus on those who haven't been named:

Werner Herzog- Nobody makes cinema verite half as well as Herzog, and perhaps that's because he so openly admits his flights of fancy. His films with Kinski are of course his best, but he's got some great stuff without his twisted muse, like Stroszek, Invincible, and Rescue Dawn. He's also the most original documentarian working

Ingmar Bergman- Frankly it's shameful he hasn't been mentioned yet. The greatest writer-director of all time (yes, even above Welles, though that may simply be because Welles lost creative control so quickly)

Robert Altman- Another glaring omission. The master of the ensemble piece. Nashville is a plotless ramble that ends up condensing the dark hilarity of the corruption of the American Dream and the shift in the national zeitgeist to a manufactured happiness, all under the guise of a look into country music. Short Cuts, The Player, MASH, Gosford Park, and The Long Goodbye are likewise brilliant.
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2008 at 21:08
Originally posted by 1800iareyay 1800iareyay wrote:

It's hard to pick my favorite. It'd probably come down to Scorsese or Kubrick for the ability to mix art into something completely and totally enjoyable, but I love so many more. I'll focus on those who haven't been named:

Werner Herzog- Nobody makes cinema verite half as well as Herzog, and perhaps that's because he so openly admits his flights of fancy. His films with Kinski are of course his best, but he's got some great stuff without his twisted muse, like Stroszek, Invincible, and Rescue Dawn. He's also the most original documentarian working

Ingmar Bergman- Frankly it's shameful he hasn't been mentioned yet. The greatest writer-director of all time (yes, even above Welles, though that may simply be because Welles lost creative control so quickly)

Robert Altman- Another glaring omission. The master of the ensemble piece. Nashville is a plotless ramble that ends up condensing the dark hilarity of the corruption of the American Dream and the shift in the national zeitgeist to a manufactured happiness, all under the guise of a look into country music. Short Cuts, The Player, MASH, Gosford Park, and The Long Goodbye are likewise brilliant.

I would say Bergman was probably the best writer, but not the best director. Personally, I think many are/were better than him, but when it comes to ideas and dialogue... he was the man
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2008 at 21:36
Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

Ingmar Bergman- Frankly it's shameful he hasn't been mentioned yet. The greatest writer-director of all time

I would say Bergman was probably the best writer, but not the best director. Personally, I think many are/were better than him, but when it comes to ideas and dialogue... he was the man

Being the best writer-director doesn't mean you're the best writer and best director. It means he was the best at penning and shooting his own work. Kubrick and Hitchcock are leagues better, but at best they contributed to the screenplays they shot.

My favorite writer-directors are:

Bergman
Welles
Woody Allen
Charlie Chaplin (He's pretty much neck and neck with Bergman, but I think Bergman's work has more lasting resonance, while Chaplin's got the edge in directing)
Kevin Smith
Charlie Kaufman's been writing gold for years and proved a very capable director this year with Synecdoche

Honorable mention: Joss Whedon. He's only directed one of his movie scripts (the awesome Serenity), but he's the mastermind behind three of my ten favorite shows ever and he's my personal favorite entertainment writer.
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2008 at 18:16

Ingmar Bergman- Frankly it's shameful he hasn't been mentioned yet. The greatest writer-director of all time

Being the best writer-director doesn't mean you're the best writer and best director. It means he was the best at penning and shooting his own work. Kubrick and Hitchcock are leagues better, but at best they contributed to the screenplays they shot.

My favorite writer-directors are:

Bergman
Welles
Woody Allen
Charlie Chaplin (He's pretty much neck and neck with Bergman, but I think Bergman's work has more lasting resonance, while Chaplin's got the edge in directing)
Kevin Smith
Charlie Kaufman's been writing gold for years and proved a very capable director this year with Synecdoche

Honorable mention: Joss Whedon. He's only directed one of his movie scripts (the awesome Serenity), but he's the mastermind behind three of my ten favorite shows ever and he's my personal favorite entertainment writer.
I´ve yet to see Kaufman´s movie, I´m pretty excited!
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 05:51
Guigo

~~~~~~
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 06:01
From the list, it's a toss up between Ridley Scott or Martin Scorcese, but if I had to choose a favorite director overall, I'd have to add Stephen Spielberg, Roman Polanski & Guillermo del Toro into the mix

Back to the list though - Scorcese by a whisker.

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 13:56

It is truly a love it/hate it movie. It's easy to say that anyone who hates it doesn't 'get' it, but I love it and still need some help on the details.
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 15:36

It is truly a love it/hate it movie. It's easy to say that anyone who hates it doesn't 'get' it, but I love it and still need some help on the details.

Seems like my type of movie
angelmk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2009 at 15:34
my favourite ones are :
Alejandro Jodorowsky - god
David Lynch - master 1
Andrei Tarkovski - master  2
Federiko Fellini - genious
Stanley Kubrick
Wim Wenders

www.last.fm/user/angelmk
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2009 at 15:46
I have to add Roman Polanski, Francois Truffaut, Fritz Lang, Akira Kurosawa (who directed my favorite movie "Rashomon"), Rainer Werner Fassbinder and the greatest of all, Charlie Chaplin

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2009 at 05:41
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

I have to add Roman Polanski, Francois Truffaut, Fritz Lang, Akira Kurosawa (who directed my favorite movie "Rashomon"), Rainer Werner Fassbinder and the greatest of all, Charlie Chaplin
Why? They are not my favorites...Wink

I MUST watch some Fassbinder, specially Welt amd Draht!!!
Kurosawa, I only saw 7 Samurais... failed to see the hype about it, I will probably watch it again though. And haven´t seen Rashomon... yet!
Fritz Lang would have made it, from what I´ve seen from him, but I´ve seen way to little (Only M and Metropolis)
Truffaut is (in my eyes) a better screenwriter than director, but that´s just me. I prefer Goddard´s iconoclastic style
Chaplin... was a genius, but his directing is not what stands out in my eyes
Polanski... is in my opinion one of the most overrated directors... he is good and has done good movies, but I wouldn´t put him in the top along with the other greats
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>