Topic Closed"Yes" will be touring under a different name

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Yes" will be touring under a different name
    Posted: November 02 2008 at 18:13

According to this article linked from the band's official site:  http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2008-10-30-yes-fill-in-singer_N.htm

If this is true, I consider it good news. Its great that they tour, but it is not really Yes.

What do you think?
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2008 at 18:32
Good decision.

Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2008 at 18:32
What a lucky guy! He does really sound like Anderson too. Still, I know that won't convince a lot of Hardcore fans.

At least "In The Present" isn't calling itself Yes. I suppose we can be thankful for that
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2008 at 18:58
Errm.... "No"?

Sorry, someone had to do it.... Embarrassed

Edited by Angelo - November 02 2008 at 18:58
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2008 at 21:22
Good idea, let's hope the Yes fans still come out in droves to support them. It's music world's dirty secret that the "franchise" means more to most fans than the actual act. Foreigner with just Mick Jones, Floyd without Waters, the Stones without Jones; but the most dedicated just care about the name, the team, if you will. Just like you cheer for the Montreal Canadiens even though the player line-up may change from game to game.
And for those who think it a bit much, I'm sure there's Anthony Phillips, Tony Kaye, Phil Shulman, Greg Lake/Ian MacDonald fans who will claim that Genesis, Yes, Gentle Giant, and King Crimson were no longer Genesis, Yes, Gentle Giant or King Crimson once those members left. All other departures, substitutions, replacements just make for a modified version of a musical group. Sometimes to our liking, sometimes not.
As an aside, check out how Bobby Ingram came to "own" the rights to the band name Molly Hatchet, despite only having joined in 1985 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molly_Hatchet). For those with limited attention spans when it comes to southern rock bands, just skip to the 1990s paragraph.
Then wonder if a prog band could keep a following after doing that.

"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
febus View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2008 at 21:39
IN THE PRESENT????
 i don't know from a marketing standpointShocked

DRAMA would have been better or even better like AWHB....Could have been simply  HOWE WAKEMAN SQUIRE WHITE featuring D. Benoit!Thumbs Up
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2008 at 04:26
Originally posted by febus febus wrote:

IN THE PRESENT????
 i don't know from a marketing standpointShocked

DRAMA would have been better or even better like AWHB....Could have been simply  HOWE WAKEMAN SQUIRE WHITE featuring D. Benoit!Thumbs Up

I think that "In The Present" was originally the name of the tour, not the band. So, Roger Dean had already been hired to make the art work and the marketing people already knew the "In The Present" name. Therefore, I believe, they went for that.

The title you suggest could be (will be?) the subtitle, printed on poster and the like. But I guess that "Yes" will also be mentioned somewhere on those posters. Like when ABWH called their live album "An Evening Of Yes Music Plus".
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2008 at 04:27
Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

And for those who think it a bit much, I'm sure there's Anthony Phillips, Tony Kaye, Phil Shulman, Greg Lake/Ian MacDonald fans who will claim that Genesis, Yes, Gentle Giant, and King Crimson were no longer Genesis, Yes, Gentle Giant or King Crimson once those members left.

I don't think so in the case of King Crimson at all. For most of their career it's been pretty damn clear that KC is Robert Fripp's project above all.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2008 at 05:36
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

And for those who think it a bit much, I'm sure there's Anthony Phillips, Tony Kaye, Phil Shulman, Greg Lake/Ian MacDonald fans who will claim that Genesis, Yes, Gentle Giant, and King Crimson were no longer Genesis, Yes, Gentle Giant or King Crimson once those members left.

I don't think so in the case of King Crimson at all. For most of their career it's been pretty damn clear that KC is Robert Fripp's project above all.

The influence of Greg Lake and Ian McDonald on the debut album was pretty major I would say. This also explains why King Crimson never made an album anywhere near as good as the debut ever again. Look at the songwriting credits for the debut.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2008 at 10:20
NOT Yes touring, In The Present?
Wait a minute... "In The Present"??? And what about "For The Moment"? Or, even better, "Only For The Tour"?
Is this a name for a band or is it the type of contract that David Benoit signed???
RaphaelT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2008 at 12:54
Well, the real name shold be: Squire White Wakeman Howe - is not that obviousWink??
yet you still have time!
proggy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2008 at 14:27
OLD News......
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2008 at 16:59
Originally posted by proggy proggy wrote:

OLD News......

No, there is no such thing. Either something is old and therefore not news, or it is news and therefore not old. Nothing can be both news and old at the same time. Tongue
proglil49 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2008 at 17:52
Considering half of Yes is on the line-up, I'd go for a name like "Half-Yes" or "Maybe"
I want to be an astronaut
RaphaelT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2008 at 17:55
Maybel Greer's Toyshop?
yet you still have time!
Bitterblogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2008 at 18:16
Originally posted by proglil49 proglil49 wrote:

Considering half of Yes is on the line-up, I'd go for a name like "Half-Yes" or "Maybe"

Time to brush off Cinema again (hey, Anderson wasn't part of that, either. . .) Or is that old news?LOL
Or Fakemen with Wakeman?
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2008 at 20:53
Originally posted by SouthSideoftheSky SouthSideoftheSky wrote:

The influence of Greg Lake and Ian McDonald on the debut album was pretty major I would say. This also explains why King Crimson never made an album anywhere near as good as the debut ever again. Look at the songwriting credits for the debut.

I've found some of the different eras have excellent albums that match up to Court. But with so many irritated fans of other bands with shifting membership, it's strange that KC never got any flak for the revolving door, despite losing more than a few great musicians.
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2008 at 03:23

I've found some of the different eras have excellent albums that match up to Court. But with so many irritated fans of other bands with shifting membership, it's strange that KC never got any flak for the revolving door, despite losing more than a few great musicians.

Might that not be (to the extent that it is true) because they never had a stable line up for a longer time in the 60's and 70's. The fans never had time to get used to a line up. Also they lost these members so early on. I mean no one is complaining that Yes isn't Yes without Peter Banks, or that Genesis isn't Genesis without Ant Phillips. But after a longer time, with several successful albums fans get irritated when key members leave or get kicked out. Especially when the remaining members go on to make albums like 90125 and Abacab.
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2008 at 05:12
 How many of these threads do we need ? Anyway, as I said on anoher thread that I can't be bothered to search for at least when Yes did Drama, which is my favourite album from the band, the wrote new material which gave that new incarnation some sort of new identity. Likewise with Crimson.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2008 at 05:50

This also explains why King Crimson never made an album anywhere near as good as the debut ever again.

I disagree, since I find Red their finest hour. LOL

"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>