Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAny smokers in the forum?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Poll Question: If so, how many do you smoke a day? (on average)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [5.56%]
1 [1.85%]
8 [14.81%]
2 [3.70%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [3.70%]
38 [70.37%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2008 at 08:26
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

Tried it as a young teen, got really sick, never did it since. Dead

Probably the number one way us non smokers get started not smoking. LOL

Which makes me curious how many smokers had a bad first encounter but still took up smoking anyway...

Originally posted by kibble_alex kibble_alex wrote:

Depends on whether you live in any of these places or not http://www.livescience.com/environment/061018_polluted_places.html. In which case you will die twice as fast

"Air can hurt you too
Air can hurt you too
Some people say not to worry about the air
Some people never had experience with..."  Talking Heads

Edited by Slartibartfast - November 10 2008 at 08:34
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2008 at 09:03
Between 6-10. more like 10, half a package. Anyway I must quite smoking, bad habit, very badOuch
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2008 at 15:37
My wife's successfully given it up twice since I've known her.  Unfortunately got started again in February.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 14:38
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

My wife's successfully given it up twice since I've known her.  Unfortunately got started again in February.

That ain't good

Give my luck for when she starts quitting again
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2008 at 12:10
Had to vote non-smoker, as I've been on nicotine replacement therapy for a few months.  I can recommend the nicotine lozenges. 

Edited by Floydoid - November 12 2008 at 12:10
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2008 at 12:18
My uncle bought a odd Hypnotic "recording" which he you upload to your iPod or MP3 and you sleep with it and you quit the habit, no joking. My uncle and his girlfriend, both heavy smokers, quit smoking with this odd recording from one day to another, of course my uncle suffered from withdrawal syndrome, though he's ok now and still without smoking.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2008 at 12:36

Disgusting, silly, pointless, poisonous, expensive, smelly and polluting habit

But sooo satisfying, Peter

Why do almost all smokers feel they are free to litter everywhere, with their discarded toxic butts? Angry

I'm glad you qualified that with "almost"; I too cannot stand it when people throw their cigarette ends anywhere they please; you'll hopefully remember that when V&I visited that place we always carried a sealed box for our dog-ends & left nary a one to be seen < smug grin

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2008 at 14:06
Originally posted by Floydoid Floydoid wrote:

Had to vote non-smoker, as I've been on nicotine replacement therapy for a few months.  I can recommend the nicotine lozenges. 

And those patches are really good if you roll them up and smoke them. Tongue

The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2008 at 14:13
^lol
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2008 at 14:16
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by Floydoid Floydoid wrote:

And those patches are really good if you roll them up and smoke them. Tongue

Yes, they're particularly effective if you stick them around a Marlboro..
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2008 at 18:00
There is a debate going around the campus here of whether it should ban smoking, which I think is a misdirected and selfish idea. I can understand bans on smoking by doorways and wanting to keep streets clean of butts. However, the campus is big, and to want people to cross a long distance just to smoke is unfair. It seems to me that a lot of non-smokers seem to think it is a right to not encounter unpleasant or infringing odors every once in awhile. By such a logic, couldn't the strong use of cologne be banned as well? Of course, smoking causes cancer, but a momentary sniff of a trace of tobacco smoke is not going to make any noticeable difference in the length of your life. Making the campus smoke-free would be discriminatory unless smoking areas were established at reasonable places of access around campus.
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2008 at 18:27
^ At last someone mentioned that smokers are people too and have some rights. Clap
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
fusionfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2008 at 03:28

Yes,pot smokers too!

I was born in the land of Mahavishnu,not so far from Kobaia.I'm looking for the world

of searchers with the help from

crimson king
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2008 at 12:56
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

There is a debate going around the campus here of whether it should ban smoking, which I think is a misdirected and selfish idea. I can understand bans on smoking by doorways and wanting to keep streets clean of butts. However, the campus is big, and to want people to cross a long distance just to smoke is unfair. It seems to me that a lot of non-smokers seem to think it is a right to not encounter unpleasant or infringing odors every once in awhile. By such a logic, couldn't the strong use of cologne be banned as well? Of course, smoking causes cancer, but a momentary sniff of a trace of tobacco smoke is not going to make any noticeable difference in the length of your life. Making the campus smoke-free would be discriminatory unless smoking areas were established at reasonable places of access around campus.

Then you won't mind if I stand next to you and fart.  And yes, cologne should be banned as well. We ban it in the hospital. I wonder who people really think they are impressing with that stuff.

Selfish? To make a more pleasant environment for those who don't smoke? Do you know how little smoke it takes to set off an asthma attack?  Its fair and unselfish to expect those people to have to make detours to avoid smokers and smoking areas?

Being an ex-smoker I can honestly look back and recall that it was a very selfish behavior.  I have no problem with it being banned in any public area. As a matter of fact, people who smoke in their cars should have to roll up the window! Big smile

Smoking is the Love Beach of breathing.

Edited by Tapfret - November 13 2008 at 12:58
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2008 at 13:50

Bring back Opium dens - at least they were dry and warm, unlike designated smoking area's which are anything but. I honestly couldn't give a crap where I smoke as long as I'm left to do it in peace, I've been ostracised for being a selfish and antisocial pollutant and a walking health-risk to millions and I can accept that, I unreservedly apologise for anyone who has inadvertently inhaled any of my unwanted smoke over the years, it was never my intention to share, just an unfortunate side-effect of a world that didn't know any better from an age that was none the wiser. I'd just like some comfort in return for making the working, shopping and eating environments cleaner and more pleasant - just some warmth, protection from the elements and perhaps somewhere to sit down, if that's not asking too much - after all, Southern Britain doesn't quite have the same climate as Southern California, so al fresco anything is not as accommodating as it should be (we even wear thermals on the beach in high summer most years) - and due to my advancing years, somewhere I can walk to without the need for a base-camp and Sherpas would be nice. Smile

What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2008 at 13:58

Car exhaust fumes

stuck in a queue of traffic the last thing I'm going to do is wind down my window, whether I'm smoking or not. Geek

Edited by Dean - November 13 2008 at 13:59
What?
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2008 at 14:00
I can buy into that. Containment sounds like a better alternative for everybody anyway.  I am all for letting bars have smoking, as long as they are not eateries.  But smoking dens would be right on.

On the subject of Britain, I was there just before the ban took effect. I was amused by the smoking areas in Heathrow.  The whole airport smelled like smoke even with no-smoking signs everywhere. Then we would round a corner and see a smoking corral. The billowing smoke from the area rivaled a steel mill.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2008 at 14:08
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

On the subject of Britain, I was there just before the ban took effect. I was amused by the smoking areas in Heathrow.  The whole airport smelled like smoke even with no-smoking signs everywhere. Then we would round a corner and see a smoking corral. The billowing smoke from the area rivaled a steel mill.
The Gatwick one was a slight improvement - the coral was lined with air extractors - 'twas like standing in a wind-tunnel.

I remember landing in San Francisco a few years ago after a 13 hour flight and asking a security guard where I could go for a smoke, "Nevada" he replied stoically.
What?
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2008 at 16:42
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Selfish? To make a more pleasant environment for those who don't smoke? Do you know how little smoke it takes to set off an asthma attack?  Its fair and unselfish to expect those people to have to make detours to avoid smokers and smoking areas?

It's much fairer to expect non-smokers to make a detour of a few feet that to expect smokers to make a detour of half a mile to smoke. Stern Smile Remember, this is a college campus, not a neighborhood with private residences.

Again, this could be offset with smoking areas close to dorms. But then there are people who are not satisfied with having 99.99999% of the entire outside world smoke-free, they seem to want, even demand the right to that last tiny refuge for smokers.

It's not even a matter of rights, it's a matter of decency and fairness. Some people who've written to the school paper's opinion section, vigilant non-smokers they are, seem to think that the unhealthiness of smoking justifies their lack of fairness toward people who do it.

NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2008 at 17:17
^ Yes, some non-smokers are often too aggressive to owners of this bad habit. I wonder how these fans of fresh air tolerate cars, power stations and other "smokey" things.

Edited by NotAProghead - November 13 2008 at 17:37
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>