0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hammers Of Misfortune - new albums, new poll
    Posted: November 05 2008 at 20:30
With the release of their new double album Fields/Church Of Broken Glass, this is a good time to have a spotlight on this band and their output so far.

The previous poll can be found here - Hammers Of Misfortune

In this poll I divided the two new albums, even though they are sold as one (digipack containing both albums).

This new album(s) present a shift towards a slightly lesser-metallic sound, more 70's prog-ish a-la Uriah Heep with keyboards-drenched approach, two new vocalists and soem epic writing as in the Fields Trilogy which is an awesome 16 minutes piece divided into three songs, each with its own sound, pace and mood.
This is definitely a contender to my favourite album(s) by them after the magnificent Locust Years which showed the beginning of the transition into their current sound.

Links:
http://www.hammersofmisfortune.com/
http://myspace.com/hammersofmisfortune

Buy their new album(s) here:
http://www.hammersofmisfortune.com/merch.html

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 05:53
On first listen: I really like Fields, but Church of Broken Glass seemed a bit less inspired to me. For the time being I'm going with The Locust Years.
Yorkie X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 07:02
who ? Ermm
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 09:17
Originally posted by Yorkie X Yorkie X wrote:

who ? Ermm

Same question from me.  Sorry folks.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 09:40
Instead of asking who with silly emoticons, I provided links exactly for those who don't know them.
I don't see the purpose of posting "Who?"; either get to know them or pass by. If your point is that they are not known, Yes, they are not that well known (though are popular in some circles and places) but the point of threads like this that I do is to get awareness to such lesser known bands and not to receive those responses which contribute to nothing and only serve to continue ignoring and being unaware of such bands.

Press the links and you won't have to ask "Who?Ermm"  or at least post these kind of useless posts in all the threads about bands you don't know.

Disapprove (another silly emoticon... it seems a popular way to have a discussion around here)

Edited by avestin - November 06 2008 at 10:05
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 13:02
^ it's a lost cause. I keep providing the sample links on my website, but when I talk to people about them I discover that it doesn't even occur to them that they could actually *click* them, and that the resulting page might be useful to them.LOL
Doomcifer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 16:56
The August Engine is one of my favorite releases ever.  Tremendous band the loss of Scalzi and the female vocalist is a huge bummer.  The b*****d flat-out is REAL KILLER as well.  With the exception of a few tracks, The Locust Years was a big step down, in my opinion. 

As far as this new double release, Fields is terrific!!!  I absolutely love it.  Hopefully, it will stand the test of time.  My only minor gripe is that Chewy could have elaborated a little more behind the drumkit.  As for Church of Broken Glass, I'm not much of a fan at all.  Some interesting ideas and really good moments at times (The Gulls) but for the most part it just meanders along (ie Butchertown), is boring, and uninspired.  The new male vocalist isn;t very good at all and the new female vocalist comes off very flat most of the time.

If I had to rank them, it would go like this:

The August Engine
The b*****d
Fields
The Locust Years
Church of Broken Glass

Greater is the man who conquers himself, than he who conquers a hundred times a hundred on the battlefield.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 17:08
Originally posted by Doomcifer Doomcifer wrote:

the new female vocalist comes off very flat most of the time.

I thought it is Sigfrid singing, no?

Anyway, I agree, her voice isn't coming out too well in there.

Also, I feel the vocals are too back in the mix, my personal impression.

Church is a more mixed business that's true, but I do like the 3 opening songs quite a lot. But Fields definitely stands out, awesome songs.

As for Locust Years, it is still my favourite, I absolutely love it - the anthemic parts, the complex and aggressive riffing (in the opening song and in Election Day), the vocals, the lyrics, the mood...
The b*****d also has a special place, love it (particularly 3 songs on it - You Should Have Slain Me, An Oath Sworn In Hell & The Witches' Dance). Though August Engine is my least favourite, it is still a very good album in my view.

Yorkie X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 19:41
I'm not going to check out a link because some one thinks this almost unheard of prog band is worthwhile I think the only silliness here is creating a poll based around such a obscure band in the first place. Just an opinion much like all comments made in the forum  

Edited by Yorkie X - November 06 2008 at 19:43
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 23:49
On the contrary Yorkie X, Avestin makes these polls with bands that often get overlooked so guys like me can maybe find something special.I can attest that this has happened many times with me personally with Avestin's polls.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Yorkie X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2008 at 07:56
^^ I understand , gets a bit frustrating sometimes as we all have so much to say so much enthusiasm and energy   I`ll check this band out as well just to gain a clearer understanding . I got recommended a band called BRAVE recently I thought who ? I checked them out and they blew me away , had I taken the who ? Ermm attitude I wouldnt have discovered such a mighty prog band especially since they are not even listed on prog archives..  its always wise to keep an open mind  ..  I`m sorry Avestin for being a bit of a smart @ss  before

edit /  check them out on their myspace page ...  my initial response is not bad at all , worth checking out .  

Edited by Yorkie X - November 07 2008 at 08:18
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2008 at 11:49
Enthusiasm and energy is good Yorkie X,i know your passionate about prog. By the way i haven't checked them out yet,but i noticed HAMMERS OF MISFORTUNE played on a tribute album for Ronnie James Dio,i came across that when i was checking out GAMMA RAY who King By-Tor said i should check out.They were on the same tribute album.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2008 at 14:22
Originally posted by Yorkie X Yorkie X wrote:

^^ I understand , gets a bit frustrating sometimes as we all have so much to say so much enthusiasm and energy   I`ll check this band out as well just to gain a clearer understanding . I got recommended a band called BRAVE recently I thought who ? I checked them out and they blew me away , had I taken the who ? Ermm attitude I wouldnt have discovered such a mighty prog band especially since they are not even listed on prog archives..  its always wise to keep an open mind  ..  I`m sorry Avestin for being a bit of a smart @ss  before

edit /  check them out on their myspace page ...  my initial response is not bad at all , worth checking out .  

Cool. Hope you like it.

Like John said, I do many of these types of threads to raise awareness to those talented bands (in my view but not only my own) that deserve the attention.

I also like the big names of couse, the known bands, but those receive enough attention without me contributing to it. So, I don't think it's silly to have such threads, if one person can discover new music, it's worth it. And if not, at least I tried.

Cheers and hope you enjoy the music; if not, then maybe you'll find some in another thread I open.

Doomcifer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2008 at 14:41
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

Originally posted by Doomcifer Doomcifer wrote:

the new female vocalist comes off very flat most of the time.

I thought it is Sigfrid singing, no?

Anyway, I agree, her voice isn't coming out too well in there.

Sigrid handles the backing vocals still but the Jesse, the new female vocalist, handles the main female vocals. 

It's interesting how we hold very opposite opinions, heh.  I agree about the songs you mentioned on The b*****d though.  Fantastic.  It's like a metal opera without the symphonic element.
Greater is the man who conquers himself, than he who conquers a hundred times a hundred on the battlefield.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2009 at 20:39
Bump...

Anyone else listened to their two new albums since?

Post Reply Post Reply