Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRush vs The Beatles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 30>
Poll Question: Who do you prefer ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
182 [43.65%]
235 [56.35%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2008 at 20:08
Originally posted by febus febus wrote:

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Originally posted by Alberto Muņoz Alberto Muņoz wrote:

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I love the Beatles, but my nick is not Beatlesfan4. 

It is actually sort of funny that you have this poll.  A couple of years ago, the local sports talk radio station was going through a period of time where they did a bunch of NCAA tournament brackets with 64 teams for various items.  The rock band item featured the Beatles as the number 1 seed and Rush as the 16th seed in their bracket.  Random callers would be asked to pick their favorite band from which ever 2 they would be asked and the winner would move on.  The DJs did hold a couple veto votes though.  I didn't call in, but boy would they have been in for a shock if I had had this game as my choice.  That would have been 1 veto used up very quickly.  LOL

And where's Rushfan number 1, 2 and 3?LOLWink

That would be Alex, Geddy, and Neil.

OooooH!!! i thought that was KBT, Naturalscience and Movingpic07  LOLWink

This is the easiest poll I've ever voted in. Tongue

I never did like the Beatles at all; I actually quite dislike them. And they're up against Rush. Hmm... Ermm
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2008 at 20:16
The Beatles.

Up until now, I don't like Rush very much.
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2008 at 20:26
I always take the historical perspective on these things, so voted for the Beatles.  Without them, Rush would have been produced by Phil Spector and would be singing follow-ups to My Boyfriend's Back.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2008 at 01:41
This is A"POLL"ING,  First I won't vote because its sort of non sensical. There would never have been a RUSH had there not been the Beatles , just as Geddy! He will agree!  I mean really , Helter Skelter ! 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Phil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2008 at 02:01
The Beatles - c'mon folks get real!
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2008 at 02:48
The Beatles of course. 

Rush was best between 1974 and 1981, and even though that was their best time period, they still couldn't come close to how good the Beatles were from 1965-1969.  Plus Rush wrote that awful awful Trees song (during their good period!).  The Beatles did not.  Thats more than enough to sway me.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2008 at 05:22
Let me compare the albums from the best periods of both bands:
Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, Yellow Submarine, The white double album and Abbey Road vs.
A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures and Signals.
Usually I prefer Rush, but it depends on the mood I'm in. I vote for Rush, even though they were far less influential than the Beatles.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2008 at 08:43
A no-brainer, in my opinion. The Beatles were a lot more creative and a lot more groundbreaking.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2008 at 08:58
I like some stuff by The Beatles and really like a few of their tracks.  I have also heard enough of their music to appreciate how important they were in the development of popular music.  However, they are not really my cup of tea.

On the other hand I adore most of the music Rush has produced.  Therefore for me this is an easy question.  It's Rush for me. 
ModernRocker79 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2008 at 14:01

The Beatles I have to admit the Beatles for  a mainstream band they were really progressive and even jazz music were not doing some of the things they were doing like backward guitar, drum looping to name a few. Some of their rhythms on "Happiness Is A Warm Gun" for example include a Balkan rhythm and a polyrhythm in different sections. Were they influenced by jazz?

"A Day in the Life", "I am the Walrus", "Within You, Without You", Strawberry Fields"... not really blues tunes, They were able to draw from diverse sources, like Indian classical music  "Within You" uses a raga-like form that contains both major and minor thirds in different octaves, kind of a combination of mixolydian and Dorian modalities. Lennon used forms similar to Tibetan chants. McCartney and Lennon were both versed in the same types of cadential cycles that had evolved from Dixieland and Tin Pan Alley, the pop music of the previous era (and also a primary underpinning for jazz).

"Tomorrow Never Knows" is a very early Art-Rock song that was recorded even before the Velvet Underground. The song is influenced by Avant music and its weird sounds are produced by tape loops/samples with looped effects. The song uses an upfront drum 'n' bass sound with the looped effects not unlike many forms of Modern Music.

"Love You To" is a true use of Classical Indian Music in instrumentation, style and rhythm. There is nothing like it in rock music before this.  Songs like "Eight Miles High", "Norwegian Wood and "See My Friends" are nothing like this.

I considered "Strawberry Fields Forever" true progressive rock songs. With its use of mellotron, Indian scales and two separate versions of one song into one.  Strawberry Fields Forever" uses diminished chords that are common with jazz music. Then are changes time signatures often 4/4, 6/8, 3/4, 2/4. Hardly simple stuff. It helped invent Progressive Rock.

"Blue Jay Way" song based on some ancient Indian raga that uses the diminished 7th scale. 

I think the Beatles were one of the biggest influences in early progressive rock.

Edited by ModernRocker79 - November 13 2008 at 14:07
Yorkie X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2008 at 01:55
At the present time the scores are Rush 43 votes The Beatles 43 votes ...   its anybodies game  Stern Smile
moreitsythanyou View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2008 at 02:43
Rush is good and all, but The Beatles are far superior.
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

trackstoni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2008 at 05:27
  the least i can do for the Beatles is what i did a second ago , if they're involved in any polls , simply i have to stand up with them , for a million reasons and reason , they can simply win any poll even against my OWN BAND ////////////////      take it easy on us fellows !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    yur friend     // TracksToni //
Tracking Tracks of Rock
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2008 at 12:06
C'mon everybody who's not voted, get behind Toronto's finest.

If anybody knows any Rush fanboys who've not voted yet tell 'em to get on here pronto, there's a poll to win!
Bitterblogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2008 at 12:59

Apples and oranges? More like a watermelon v. an olive.

You can't be serious to not vote for the Beatles.

memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2008 at 19:17
I prefer Rush

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2008 at 19:26
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Let me compare the albums from the best periods of both bands:
Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, Yellow Submarine, The white double album and Abbey Road vs.
A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures and Signals.
Usually I prefer Rush, but it depends on the mood I'm in. I vote for Rush, even though they were far less influential than the Beatles.

Here's how it would be in my opinion, trying to be objective:
Beatles: Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR, The White Album and Abbey Road
Rush: 2112, Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures.

Have in mind I haven't heard Hemispheres neither Permanent Waves, just adding them because they're classics for the Prog fan. I love Caress of Steel, but in some type of musical terms it would be like adding Let It Be. From what I heard from Rush fans and ratings, Counterparts is another classic.
zachfive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2008 at 21:17
I'd like to see another poll.
What band has more talented musicians?

Regardless, The Beatles win in the influence department I'll give them that, but I'd say Rush has far much more musical integrity. The Beatles members solo stuff (excluding Lennon) i.e Wings and George Harrison does aboslutley no justice to their earlier work such as Sg.Peppers or Yellow Submarine.So as the opinions are stacked before me I vote for Rush, I'd say they have more consecutively great music and has "sold out" a heck of a lot less.

...shame on Mccartney, you use to play such a melodic bass and not such a boing pianoCry Thumbs Down
Treasure View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2008 at 22:24
This was LONG overdue.

I voted Rush, only because they were never crappy in any way whatsoever.
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2008 at 22:35
Originally posted by zachfive zachfive wrote:

I'd like to see another poll.
What band has more talented musicians?

Regardless, The Beatles win in the influence department I'll give them that, but I'd say Rush has far much more musical integrity. The Beatles members solo stuff (excluding Lennon) i.e Wings and George Harrison does aboslutley no justice to their earlier work such as Sg.Peppers or Yellow Submarine.So as the opinions are stacked before me I vote for Rush, I'd say they have more consecutively great music and has "sold out" a heck of a lot less.

...shame on Mccartney, you use to play such a melodic bass and not such a boing pianoCry Thumbs Down

Who said anything about the solo stuff???  The poll was Beatles vs. Rush.  Rush would not exist without the Beatles.  Nor would any other band on this site.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 30>