Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRush vs The Beatles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930>
Poll Question: Who do you prefer ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
182 [43.65%]
235 [56.35%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 09:38
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

I don't know how The Beatles could be winning this. 
Sure they were influential, but i can't believe that people on PA would prefer them musically to Rush..

It is same issue with KC's debut. Influence doesn't equal quality.  

Speaking for myself, musically also I prefer the Beatles, by far.   Way, way  more interesting, way more variety and way more economy in the way they handled their ideas.  It comes back again to Day in the Life for me.   There's not one track in Rush's career that to me is anywhere near that adventurous.   It just comes off as so conservative, albeit technically dazzling, to me. 

I agree with you entirely. If bands like The Rolling Stones who by way I prefer over Rush also easily were translating the blues into an altered form of blues than The Beatles on Revolver and so forth were translating the music of Stockhausen into IMO was a new form of pop music. Songs like "Tomorrow Never Knows", "I Am the Walrus" & "Being Benefit Of Mr. Kite" are heavily sampled/looped tracks way before the likes Kraftwerk or Brian Eno. Another track I find interesting is "Eleanor Rigby" where the only instruments were orchestral and it breaks many traditions in rock music.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 09:50
Tomorrow never knows, Eleanor Rigby, Penny Lane, they experimented on so many fronts in such a short span of time, it is bewildering to think of.  
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 10:28

Tomorrow never knows, Eleanor Rigby, Penny Lane, they experimented on so many fronts in such a short span of time, it is bewildering to think of.  

Most of the songs in the Beatles discography after 1965 are unique, including of course the titles that you listed. 

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

We are in dire need of some feminine points of view....

Apart from you, we only have Lizzy, the baldies, Glucose and Raff(perhaps?). So yeah, cool to see you hanging with the proggers. Now go fetch some more girls

It's all in your mind, my friend. Anybody in the wide world could post a picture of a pleasant lady on a forum, and the rest would be taken care of by your imagination :)

What if I replaced the reptile on my avatar with a picture of a female nurse and changed Argonaught to Amber Naught; would you feel you are in dire need of some hard-working medical professional points of view?

Edited by Argonaught - February 24 2013 at 13:02
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 14:13
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

NEWS!!! Al DiMeola new album plays Beatles ClapAl Di Meola plays Beatles and more as his latest project! The world famous guitarist has come to Abbey Road, London to record a new CD dedicated to the Beatles featuring a number of Beatles covers as well as a couple of new Al Di Meola pieces inspired by the fab four.
Al, too? It's not like many others (even Wakeman) haven't...LOL

Originally posted by WanderingLogician WanderingLogician wrote:

Ringo Starr and Neil Peart should have a drum battle to settle this...

What was it McCartney said? Ringo isn't even the best drummer in the Beatles or something like that?
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 14:35
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Most of the songs in the Beatles discography after 1965 are unique, including of course the titles that you listed. 

Apart from you, we only have Lizzy, the baldies, Glucose and Raff(perhaps?). So yeah, cool to see you hanging with the proggers. Now go fetch some more girls

It's all in your mind, my friend. Anybody in the wide world could post a picture of a pleasant lady on a forum, and the rest would be taken care of by your imagination :)

What if I replaced the reptile on my avatar with a picture of a female nurse and changed Argonaught to Amber Naught; would you feel you are in dire need of some hard-working medical professional points of view?

I have enough women around me at university, so no it's not that. It's to do with the actual differences between the sexes as much as that sounds inane. Where we tend to create lists, make polls, invent genres and just be very obsessive about music, women feel more into the feel of the thing, the aura, the overall impression....yeah whatever. I don't think I can explain it properly without having politically correct people mailing me anthrax and profanities. Just read a review from Raff, and tell me there isn't a certain feminine touch to her words that completely escape the bearded race. And I rather miss that quality around PA is all.
Not all are like that, sure, but let's just assume something for a change....
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2013 at 14:31

Confused Argonaught, I promise that it's me in the picture and not some fat bald Jewish dude trying to be someone else. Also I hope I have more weight here besides having good hair Unhappy
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2013 at 15:12

What if I replaced the reptile on my avatar with a picture of a female nurse and changed Argonaught to Amber Naught; would you feel you are in dire need of some hard-working medical professional points of view

Well, you would certainly look a lot sexier, this even through my perspective Big smile a hot nurse is kinky and that's prog WinkLOL certainly attention grabbing and quite interesting Big smile
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2013 at 17:14

Well, things can get pretty heated in here, but I'd like to think that the music pulls us back into friendships and interesting banter.

For what it's worth, then I applaud you for sticking around. We are in dire need of some feminine points of view.... Us dudes have a tendency to shred when we should be harmonizing and vice versa, and sometimes it get's a little outta hand(maybe that only made sense in my head, sorry)

Speaking of Raff, oh wow I learn from her so much!!! She has that gift and knowledge, I love reading her reviews and comments on other networks sites, she has a special articulate way in what she writes plus at times adds some really funny humor too lolol Big smile

Italian women are feisty and sexy!!!

Edited by Kati - February 25 2013 at 17:16
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2013 at 04:17
^Big ditto on everything you said there Kati
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2013 at 08:02
I love this poll.  5 years old and still going strong Wink.

Where the hell did Yorkie X get to?
elbownut View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2013 at 13:41
Yaayy...my first vote Smile

Had to go with the Beatles ( although Rush is one of my top three favourite bands along with Yes and Porcupine Tree )

Edited by elbownut - February 28 2013 at 13:42
"Music was my first love and it will be my last" - John Miles "Music"
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2013 at 14:20
^ So, The Beatles are at rank 0?
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2013 at 16:17
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Hey, people come here to discuss odd time signatures, mellotrons and cool stuff like that; no need to force arithmetic's down their throats Tongue
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2013 at 16:21
Jonathan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2013 at 07:05
Originally posted by NYSPORTSFAN NYSPORTSFAN wrote:

Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

I don't know how The Beatles could be winning this. 
Sure they were influential, but i can't believe that people on PA would prefer them musically to Rush..

It is same issue with KC's debut. Influence doesn't equal quality.  

Speaking for myself, musically also I prefer the Beatles, by far.   Way, way  more interesting, way more variety and way more economy in the way they handled their ideas.  It comes back again to Day in the Life for me.   There's not one track in Rush's career that to me is anywhere near that adventurous.   It just comes off as so conservative, albeit technically dazzling, to me. 

I agree with you entirely. If bands like The Rolling Stones who by way I prefer over Rush also easily were translating the blues into an altered form of blues than The Beatles on Revolver and so forth were translating the music of Stockhausen into IMO was a new form of pop music. Songs like "Tomorrow Never Knows", "I Am the Walrus" & "Being Benefit Of Mr. Kite" are heavily sampled/looped tracks way before the likes Kraftwerk or Brian Eno. Another track I find interesting is "Eleanor Rigby" where the only instruments were orchestral and it breaks many traditions in rock music.
The only thing is that "Eleanor Rigby" isn't Rock, It's an Orchestral Pop song but has no guitars or drums so it's not Rock at all.
NYSPORTSFAN View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2013 at 08:58

Hey, people come here to discuss odd time signatures, mellotrons and cool stuff like that; no need to force arithmetic's down their throats Tongue

"Stawberry Fields Forever" interestingly enough has odd time signatures & mellotrons and maybe one of the first examples of doing so?. So is that the real start of prog or were bands like King Crimson expanding what The Beatles did in 1969? My point is The Beatles did everything well enough that the majority of what came after drew some inspiration from them. I hear many people say The Beatles didn't invent a genre or subgenre but that's not the point for example The Beatles were already kicking in things like folk rock and country rock in 1964 influenced The Byrds and others who formulated it. I think The Beatles did the same thing with Progressive Rock with say "Strawberry Fields Forever" and "A Day in The Life" songs that were key influences to bands who formulated Progressive Rock.
giselle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2013 at 09:02

"Stawberry Fields Forever" interestingly enough has odd time signatures & mellotrons and maybe one of the first examples of doing so?. So is that the real start of prog or were bands like King Crimson expanding what The Beatles did in 1969? My point is The Beatles did everything well enough that the majority of what came after drew some inspiration from them. I hear many people say The Beatles didn't invent a genre or subgenre but that's not the point for example The Beatles were already kicking in things like folk rock and country rock in 1964 influenced The Byrds and others who formulated it. I think The Beatles did the same thing with Progressive Rock with say "Strawberry Fields Forever" and "A Day in The Life" songs that were key influences to bands who formulated Progressive Rock.

If you listen to The Clouds Scrapbook, the album that links 60s pop with 70s prog, The Beatles definitely influenced
this band who then influenced Yes, Crimson, ELP etc. And apart from that crucial link, the Beatles were a huge influence on almost everything that followed them anyway.
NYSPORTSFAN View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2013 at 09:17
Originally posted by giselle giselle wrote:

If you listen to The Clouds Scrapbook, the album that links 60s pop with 70s prog, The Beatles definitely influenced
this band who then influenced Yes, Crimson, ELP etc. And apart from that crucial link, the Beatles were a huge influence on almost everything that followed them anyway.

It' hard to compare Rush to The Beatles as I think Rush was more geared toward Led Zeppelin though I hear some Yes influence from Rush. The Beatles could be liked by people who don't anything about music through their catch melodies and beat, people who study music theory could spend hours on The Beatles odd chord usage, people on the other hand could describe how they innovated fusing different sources into a 3 minute pop song and music producers could study how they recorded their music. What I am saying Rush were better instrumentally but The Beatles appeal to wider audience because The Beatles have more layers or dynamics in their music compared to Rush.  
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2013 at 20:11

[Q

"Stawberry Fields Forever" interestingly enough has odd time signatures & mellotrons and maybe one of the first examples of doing so?. 

Leaving aside the time sigs, the melody of Strawberry is a beast in itself.  Again, I cannot offhand think of many Rush tracks, if any, that achieve so much contrast in just the melodic element.  Their songs are either all-dark or all-happy.  Tom Sawyer is one of those songs that does combine happy and dark shades very well and is my favourite Rush track of all time.   They rarely lived up to those standards, compositionally, though.
TexasKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2017 at 07:11
In terms of impact and importantance in rock history The Beatles are miles ahead of Rush. And that's not an opinion, that's a fact. Rush will never be nowhere near gigantic rock band as The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones or Black Sabbath. 

But when it comes to my personal music preference between these two bands I have to say Rush is a band that I prefer and listen to much more often. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930>