21 [55.26%]
17 [44.74%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2008 at 12:50
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

Confused Why would I choose? Are they having a fight? Aren't I free to own and enjoy albums from both bands?

Seriously, I quite like both bands, but I find them to be vastly different in sound and mood. I like them both, for different reasons, because they are DIFFERENT.

No offense, but to be frank, I believe this constant pitting of bands and artists "against" each other, as if they were politicians or athletes (and as if there were some sort of non-subjective, universal criteria for "judging" or "weighing" artistic merit) is highly artifical, silly, and just plain pointless. Stern Smile

Why not expend a little effort, and actually say something of substance and possible interest? You could start threads about what you specifically like about each band and their various recordings, rather than merely setting them up in this sort of juvenile "competition." I can't understand how reading multiple posts that are simply one band name or the other is interesting, or in the least bit informative to you, or anyone who might want to learn more about the music of either Brand X or Weather Report.

(If you only want to know which band has sold the most records [popularity], I think I can safely say it would be Weather Report, by a long shot. Brand X are not nearly as well known.)

But you aren't agry don't you? LOLWink

Alberto Muņoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2008 at 13:01
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

Originally posted by sinkadotentree sinkadotentree wrote:

Wow Peter you did this to me once too.Confused These polls are for fun to stimulate conversation.That's all. You actually don't have to participate if you don't want to.

Well, I was conversing, was I not? (Thus, I must have wanted to participate.)

As "they" say, stay out of the kichen, if you can't stand the heat! Wink We serious music fans can take our music -- and the method of "weighing" or discussing our music -- very seriously! Embarrassed

Look, it's not meant to be personal -- it's a discussion of the theory of art appreciation. To me, it's almost like philosophy. I'm sure we could all get along famously in real life -- as long as you don't try to take away either my Brand X or Weather Report CDs, because I really like them both!

(I honestly don't normally measure one band against another in that way -- though I will admit I did so as a teen.)

ClapClapClap, but i think that the mayority of the members enjoy voting rather than discussing value facts of prog rock. and that's is a sad thing CryCryCryCry

As a whole i agree with you, but also i agree that this polls being done, it a bit of a relax to many members.

Embarrassed I think part of my problem in how I come across here, is that I'm a teacher -- I'm always trying to get people to think and analyze, and defend what they say, on a deeper level. Sometimes I forget I'm not at work, but I guess "lecturing mode" is simply in my blood and character now, for better or worse.

I blame my old  university profs for making me think so much about art, what it is, and how we respond to it -- but I think I get much more out of art (especially books and lyrics) as a result of my education, and being forced to think. I'd like to pass on some of that heightened appreciation and joy -- for free! Smile

(If anyone ever actually reads "long" posts anymore....)Wink

Edited by Alberto Muņoz - November 20 2008 at 13:01

Alberto Muņoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2008 at 13:05
oh forgot my vote is for Wheater bit an special mention to Brand X, beatiful music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12