21 [55.26%]
17 [44.74%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brand X vs Weather Report
    Posted: November 19 2008 at 19:07
Here are two great fusion bands from the 70's, which band would you choose? 
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2008 at 20:01
Weather Report.

Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2008 at 20:33
Brand X. Weather Report is to be respected, but much of their work bores me. That's not to say I love most Brand X works either, but Unorthodox Behavior is one of my favorite fusion records, and the two following it are solid as well.
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2008 at 20:40
Brand X.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
febus View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2008 at 21:44
Both great bands but it seems i am spinning my Weather report cds definitlely more.than Bx.............I like this ''exotic'' world atmosphere they have and my favorite is still to this day  ''Mysterious Traveller''!Thumbs Up
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2008 at 21:44
Well I only like two Brand X albums.  Well...one and a half.  

Weather Report was great though.  In the beginning that is.  Come the mid-70s they lost it in my opinion.  Jaco ruined it for me, and those later songs were ridiculously cheesy and uninteresting in comparison to the fantastic earlier 4 - 5 albums. 
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2008 at 21:59
Confused Why would I choose? Are they having a fight? Aren't I free to own and enjoy albums from both bands?

Seriously, I quite like both bands, but I find them to be vastly different in sound and mood. I like them both, for different reasons, because they are DIFFERENT.

No offense, but to be frank, I believe this constant pitting of bands and artists "against" each other, as if they were politicians or athletes (and as if there were some sort of non-subjective, universal criteria for "judging" or "weighing" artistic merit) is highly artifical, silly, and just plain pointless. Stern Smile

Why not expend a little effort, and actually say something of substance and possible interest? You could start threads about what you specifically like about each band and their various recordings, rather than merely setting them up in this sort of juvenile "competition." I can't understand how reading multiple posts that are simply one band name or the other is interesting, or in the least bit informative to you, or anyone who might want to learn more about the music of either Brand X or Weather Report.

(If you only want to know which band has sold the most records [popularity], I think I can safely say it would be Weather Report, by a long shot. Brand X are not nearly as well known.)
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
ProgBagel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2008 at 22:03
Brand X was more interesting to me. Loved the guitar work. Even on the newer stuff.
JROCHA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2008 at 22:19
Sorry Peter, i did not know you were going to throw a fit. It was just a simple poll about two bands that i enjoy and was just curious who people on this site prefer more. And the reason i compared them is because they are very different from each other. One adds more rock into the mix and the other band as more latin to the mix. 
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2008 at 22:59
Wow Peter you did this to me once too.Confused These polls are for fun to stimulate conversation.That's all. You actually don't have to participate if you don't want to.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2008 at 23:18
Originally posted by JROCHA JROCHA wrote:

Sorry Peter, i did not know you were going to throw a fit. It was just a simple poll about two bands that i enjoy and was just curious who people on this site prefer more. And the reason i compared them is because they are very different from each other. One adds more rock into the mix and the other band as more Latin to the mix. 
I'm actually quite calm, and certainly not "throwing a fit."
I'm simply sick of the ever-increasing, non-stop flood of these knee-jerk, copycat "VS" polls. I am merely trying to prompt you, and more PA members, to think more deeply about art, to take it beyond the contest or "choose either X or Y -- never both" level. I think that's much the simplistic, "absolute" way children look at things (Who is your best friend? What's your favourite song? What's your favourite food?), while art appreciation and response is much more complex than that.

This is a prog forum -- the music represented and the appreciation of it is meant to imply an above-average degree of complexity or depth, is it not? Confused So many of these polls (and their typical responses) look and read as if they were designed by soulless record company marketing executives or accountants. They reduce art to a mere numbers game or sales contest.

Art is meant to be something much more than that -- it is meant to be one of the loftiest expressions of the human soul and our creative capabilities as thinking, sensitive beings. It is meant to reflect inspiration, and move and inspire. to make us laugh, cry, dance with joy, shock or inspire us out of mundane, half-aware, half-alive complacency -- to think, look inward, examine, and TALK.

I'm just trying to get more people to take music appreciation and discussion here to a deeper -- and thus much more interesting -- level.

I meant nothing personal -- this is a very old "pet peeve" issue of mine, around here, and I say these things again and again because I hope that some will take the time to read my words, and reconsider the nature of art and its appreciation and analysis. I think many do "get it," with time, or perhaps when prompted to think -- and write -- on a deeper level than mere automatic voting for X or Y. (The responses which at least offer some reasons behind the preference are much better, but this poll does not even ask "which band do you prefer, and WHY?")

Ermm As to which band more folks prefer here, I would wager that, as you perhaps suspect, Brand X might "win," as they are more rock-oriented, heavier in sound, and arguably more "far out" than Weather Report .(Weather Report perhaps feature more beauty and subtlety, and were also more trail-blazing and influential, as the older band at the forefront of the emerging jazz fusion movement  -- they undoubtedly helped set the stage for the later appearance of Brand X).

This site has many young members (our single largest demographic) & many metal fans. I would guess that the heavier, rockier, freakier band (Brand X) will thus prove more popular -- providing enough people have heard them. (Again, Weather Report are much more famous, and have no doubt sold many more albums -- but are those older jazz fans on this forum in large numbers?) I think Brand X often have a more visceral, immediate appeal, whereas the music of WR is perhaps a more cultivated taste, requiring more effort and patience. There are precious few "fist pumping" or air guitar-like moments in WR. I think WR will resonate deeper in music criticism, and last longer in music history, though, for that same reason, much as a classic, staid, well-crafted and "graceful" movie or book will outlast the latest flashy, effects-drenched (but ultimately forgettable) action flic or thriller.

(Not that I think Brand X don't have some admirable artistry -- I love their music, but they have no Birdland equivalent "standard" in their catalog.)

Smile There! Now wasn't that much more interesting than my simply voting, or merely posting one of the band names by way of response? You certainly can't say your little poll failed to garner a reaction! Wink

Edited by Peter - November 20 2008 at 01:00
He chortled in his joy.
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2008 at 23:40
Originally posted by sinkadotentree sinkadotentree wrote:

Wow Peter you did this to me once too.Confused These polls are for fun to stimulate conversation.That's all. You actually don't have to participate if you don't want to.

Well, I was conversing, was I not? (Thus, I must have wanted to participate.)

As "they" say, stay out of the kichen, if you can't stand the heat! Wink We serious music fans can take our music -- and the method of "weighing" or discussing our music -- very seriously! Embarrassed

Look, it's not meant to be personal -- it's a discussion of the theory of art appreciation. To me, it's almost like philosophy. I'm sure we could all get along famously in real life -- as long as you don't try to take away either my Brand X or Weather Report CDs, because I really like them both!

(I honestly don't normally measure one band against another in that way -- though I will admit I did so as a teen.)

Embarrassed I think part of my problem in how I come across here, is that I'm a teacher -- I'm always trying to get people to think and analyze, and defend what they say, on a deeper level. Sometimes I forget I'm not at work, but I guess "lecturing mode" is simply in my blood and character now, for better or worse.

I blame my old  university profs for making me think so much about art, what it is, and how we respond to it -- but I think I get much more out of art (especially books and lyrics) as a result of my education, and being forced to think. I'd like to pass on some of that heightened appreciation and joy -- for free! Smile

(If anyone ever actually reads "long" posts anymore....)Wink

Edited by Peter - November 19 2008 at 23:44
He chortled in his joy.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2008 at 00:03
Fair enough Peter,at least i know where your coming from now. And i do know others who find it meaningless to pick one band over another,especially if they are two of their favourite bands. I guess i just like participating in things like this,if nothing else to give an opinion,or simply to place a vote. I must say with that King Crimson vs. Pink Floyd poll that i couldn't pick one,and wouldn't want to have to in real life.I want both. But these polls are  just for fun.Wink
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2008 at 00:34
can not decide , sorry, love em both. Percy Jones (yummy) Zawinul (cool) , nope can't
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2008 at 00:49
Originally posted by sinkadotentree sinkadotentree wrote:

Fair enough Peter,at least i know where your coming from now. And i do know others who find it meaningless to pick one band over another,especially if they are two of their favourite bands. I guess i just like participating in things like this,if nothing else to give an opinion,or simply to place a vote. I must say with that King Crimson vs. Pink Floyd poll that i couldn't pick one,and wouldn't want to have to in real life.I want both. But these polls are  just for fun.Wink
SmileThanks for taking the time to read, understand and respond, Sink. You are a gentleman.

I know where you're coming from too. It's just music and entertainment, after all, not a choice of government.  (But music can be very powerful, personal and emotive, of course. It lives largely in our emotional, irrational, instinctive realm -- thus the often strong, impassioned responses it provokes!)

And this was fun (or stimulating) for me as well -- though perhaps not really in the way the poll writer envisioned. Wink

Smile Good night & all the best -- I think I'll listen to some Brand X & Weather Report in the morning! (Another good effect of this poll!)

Edited by Peter - November 20 2008 at 00:50
He chortled in his joy.
fusionfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2008 at 01:58
I love both bands but for me Brand X's guitar work makes the difference.
I was born in the land of Mahavishnu,not so far from Kobaia.I'm looking for the world

of searchers with the help from

crimson king
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2008 at 08:34
I think Peter's got a point here.

This endless "X vs. Y" thing had been getting on my nerves as well.

I'm the kind of guy who enjoys Yes AND Genesis, Floyd AND Crimso, Led Zep AND the Who, Mozart AND Haydn etc. etc., without continually asking himself who's best.

It seems obvious: Brand X has more fans on P.A., so Brand X will win this poll. But what on earth does this signify? As Peter says, not very much.

Personally speaking, I discovered Brand X and Weather Report at roughly the same time. I first heard about Brand X whem MOROCCAN ROLL came out, and I must have bought BLACK MARKET the same year or so. I still love both albums, they're so chockfull of ideas, they never tire me, and I gave them both five-star reviews.

But how could you ever compare these bands? Brand X play rather restless and hectic music (with some charming lyrical moments in between), they're clearly influenced by mid-period Return to Forever, they're very flashy and virtuosic.

With Weather Report, you get one of the greatest sax players of the 1960s/1970s, a superb rhythm section, and a "multi-coloured keyboards" player who doesn't care a fig about impressing the world with virtuoso solos. In Weather Report all players "are soloing all the time". The music breathes far more freely than with Brand X, and it isn't particularly urban in feel. But is it superior?

Not necessarily.

The only reason why my vote goes to Weather Report in this poll, is that they have a far richer discography than Brand X.

As for 'Birdland': I don't particularly enjoy the piece, and I definitely don't enjoy the flavourless album it came from.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2008 at 10:17
Weather Report by a mile.
33rpm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2008 at 12:18
Weather Report by a long way.
Vinyl just sounds better!!

gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2008 at 12:45
Originally posted by Moatilliatta Moatilliatta wrote:

Brand X. Weather Report is to be respected, but much of their work bores me. That's not to say I love most Brand X works either, but Unorthodox Behavior is one of my favorite fusion records, and the two following it are solid as well.

That's pretty much how I feel also.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>