Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Epignosis Christmas Wish List

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which albums should Santa get me for Christmas?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
22 [7.91%]
7 [2.52%]
5 [1.80%]
2 [0.72%]
8 [2.88%]
9 [3.24%]
13 [4.68%]
2 [0.72%]
6 [2.16%]
6 [2.16%]
18 [6.47%]
0 [0.00%]
19 [6.83%]
2 [0.72%]
5 [1.80%]
13 [4.68%]
42 [15.11%]
34 [12.23%]
29 [10.43%]
7 [2.52%]
10 [3.60%]
12 [4.32%]
7 [2.52%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Epignosis Christmas Wish List
    Posted: November 25 2008 at 16:28
Dear Santa,

I have been an especially good boy this year (except for some bits I hope you didn't see).  I didn't shoot a single reindeer (nor did I hit one with my car), I kept a good attitude despite losing my job, and I chased down a purse snatcher (seriously).  I think I deserve some good prog music to welcome 2009. 

Please and thank you,
Epignosis

PS.  If you give me a stocking full of coal again, I swear I'll use it to light your shanty of a house in the North Pole on fire.  And I love venison.

Hi, PA- before I send this letter off to Santa Claus, please help me decide which items on my wish list I should have.

Note: I've enabled multiple votes, so if you would recommend all of them, please do so!  I'm greedy! Big smile
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2008 at 16:49
I have 8 albums out of those. Atom Heart Mother by Pink Floyd is a really good album, but is surely one of their toughest to get into, of course not as tough as VDGG or GG, but tough as PATGOD or Saucerful or even Ummagumma. The album is already worthy for the epic. 4 Stars.

Camel's debut, is one of my faves. It is very good, while surely not at their peak of their creativity. It is very canterburish, so if you like that sub-genre of the likes of Caravan, you'll really enjoy it. 4 Stars.

In the Land of Grey and Pink by Caravan, well if you buy this one you should definitely buy Camel's debut. Though this one is surely more prog oriented because of the amazing epic, Nine Feet Underground. 5 Stars.

Acquiring the Taste by Gentle Giant, you should get it if you already know their classic stuff. It's one of their toughest to get into as the title suggests. It's not bad when you get into it, but it'll be a tough way to go. 3.5 Stars.

Ocean by Eloy, my only album by this semi-famous band. The album is surely a classic on Prog, so that makes it, sort-of, a must. While the music isn't that apealing FOR ME, it's not bad, still I give it a 4 Stars.

Lizard by King Crimson, another one which isn't loved by many. If you like Jazzy Prog(not fusion, nor jazz-rock) then this is a must, of course, again the EPIC, makes it a very interesting album, while the "short" tracks are as good as the ones from In the Wake of Poseidon. You like KC? Get it. 4.5 Stars.

Aqualung by Tull, is another classic of course, that's one of the reasons you should get it. But if you want it for the music, then if you like Folk Rock, Hard Rock and Folk Prog, then get it. 3.5 Stars.

Geese and the Ghost by Ant is a very soft acoustic album. If you heard Trespass' acoustic stuff, then this you will surely enjoy. It also have a long song which is excellent. 4 Stars.

To sum it up, these 8 albums I own I consider them very good, I would recomend them all, but it would be better if you can tell me a bit what you know about the bands of these albums, and I can tell a little bit more if you can like it or not, or a bit more detail.

Hope it helps.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2008 at 16:59
Thanks Pablo!  Thumbs Up

By the way, everyone, my wife will be using this poll to help guide her decision.

Last year I got cheese.  Yes, cheese, for Christmas.  Most of it tasted like diapers.
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2008 at 17:04
^LOLCheese? What made you change from cheese to CD's?Wink

...Wait a minute! I don't get it. YOUR WIFE DECISION? WHAT ABOUT SANTA?Tongue
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2008 at 17:09
Lizard is awesome; one of KC's most underrated albums.
Zitro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2008 at 18:09
Olias of Sunhillow is beautiful and ahead of its time. Sort of a yes-styled new age album mixed with progressive elements.
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2008 at 19:04

Lizard is great.  Atom Heart Mother is a close second.  Man I'd like to hear those Flash albums again; I may need to send Santa a list.

MovingPictures07 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2008 at 19:12
Get Oldfield, Rush, and Gentle Giant. Although if you're unfamiliar with GG, get Octopus or something else first (knowing your taste).
horsewithteeth11 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2008 at 19:32
Originally posted by MovingPictures07 MovingPictures07 wrote:

Get Oldfield, Rush, and Gentle Giant. Although if you're unfamiliar with GG, get Octopus or something else first (knowing your taste).

This.
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2008 at 19:34
Doomsday Afternoon gaddammit!
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2008 at 20:04
Originally posted by cacho cacho wrote:

...Wait a minute! I don't get it. YOUR WIFE DECISION? WHAT ABOUT SANTA?Tongue

When you reach the stage in life that myself and Epignosis find ourselves in, the wife is Santa.  Wink
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2008 at 20:05
Pawn Hearts, Acquiring the Taste, Gray and Pink are all great.

But let me be the first to recommend an absolutely killer live set in Yesshows.  The performance of Gates of Delirium is worth the price by itself.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2008 at 20:53
Just for the record, all of these bands I've either heard or know something about.  I just don't own these particular albums.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2008 at 20:55
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

But let me be the first to recommend an absolutely killer live set in Yesshows.  The performance of Gates of Delirium is worth the price by itself.

That's something I was curious to know.  I own every Yes studio album except Open Your Eyes.  I have Yessongs and a bunch of DVDs, but I don't have this live CD, and I was curious to hear Moraz live.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2008 at 20:56
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

That's something I was curious to know.  I own every Yes studio album except Open Your Eyes.  I have Yessongs and a bunch of DVDs, but I don't have this live CD, and I was curious to hear Moraz live.

He's terrific - wait until you hear his treatment of "Ritual".
Darklord55 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2008 at 21:19

Thanks Pablo!  Thumbs Up

By the way, everyone, my wife will be using this poll to help guide her decision.

Last year I got cheese.  Yes, cheese, for Christmas.  Most of it tasted like diapers.

Was it blue cheese?    Bleh!!  Dead  That rates right up there with fruit cake.  LOL    I have all but six from your list,  four of which I have never heard.  The rest are essential!!   The two I would not recommend, Kansas and Livgren.  I like the early Kansas albums but after the first 5 or so they lost me. 
trackstoni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2008 at 21:26
   if yu're really Gready my Friend , i recommand that your list to Santa must be fully loaded this year , and try to back yourself up with your family first , parents , neighbors , then yu can count on us my Friend , i will find a special Bag to send you all these excellent albums listed above !!!!   And by the Way , nice choice , and Merry xmas to you and your Wife //////////   A Special Remark  ===    If there's no room in Santa's Bag for all these stuff , try to get at least  Vinyl Confessions , Aqualung , Atom Heart , Lizard and In the Land Of  Grey & Pink /////
Tracking Tracks of Rock
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2008 at 21:37
Originally posted by Darklord55 Darklord55 wrote:

Thanks Pablo!  Thumbs Up

Was it blue cheese?    Bleh!!  Dead  That rates right up there with fruit cake.  LOL    I have all but six from your list,  four of which I have never heard.  The rest are essential!!   The two I would not recommend, Kansas and Livgren.  I like the early Kansas albums but after the first 5 or so they lost me. 

Actually buddy, it was imported Irish cheese, and I love cheese, and despite my loathing of most of it, it was the most thoughtful give my wife ever gave me.  One year, she took all of my CDs to put them in the new cases she bought me.  I mean, I wasn't an organizational person (she did take all of my CDs from me for three weeks and wrap them up in new leather books...thoughtful, but I was without music for three weeks!).

I have all 25 albums bookmarked.  She will actually come to this list and see what people recommend.  Whether or not she chooses what you propose will be up to her.  However, with this list, I doubt I can lose.

Edited by Epignosis - November 25 2008 at 21:40
Darklord55 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2008 at 23:32

Originally posted by Darklord55 Darklord55 wrote:

Thanks Pablo!  Thumbs Up

Actually buddy, it was imported Irish cheese, and I love cheese, and despite my loathing of most of it, it was the most thoughtful give my wife ever gave me.  One year, she took all of my CDs to put them in the new cases she bought me.  I mean, I wasn't an organizational person (she did take all of my CDs from me for three weeks and wrap them up in new leather books...thoughtful, but I was without music for three weeks!).

I have all 25 albums bookmarked.  She will actually come to this list and see what people recommend.  Whether or not she chooses what you propose will be up to her.  However, with this list, I doubt I can lose.

I as well enjoy the consuming of cheese.   I live next door to Wisconsin, so it's fairly easy to get some of that famous Wisconsin cheese.  Actually my favorite this time of year is a large hunk of extra hot pepper jack, ritz crackers and a six pack of New Belgium's dark brew 1554.  Heavenly!  Approve

Don't forget to let us know what Santa decided to give you from your list.  Merry Christmas!
Luke. J View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2008 at 23:47
I voted for Ommadawn (maybe the best Oldfield album I have ever heard), Ocean (interesting mix of symphonic and space sounds, dreamy passages and some "hard" guitar, considering that it is Eloy, to me a masterpiece of the genre). Also Pawn Hearts is maybe the best you can get from Van der Graaf Generator, yet my opinion on that changes all the time. Especially this album has the haunting atmosphere which is a trademark of the band, and Fripp on guitar as well as three absolute classics of progressive rock.

Anyway, no matter what the result is, you will not be disappointed (just be sure to look for some previews to Snakes & Arrows.. it seems to be a love/hate album as far as I heard).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>