Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Internal news
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProgarchives.com Monthly Gifts Giveaway

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 20>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Co-founder, Admin & Webmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2010 at 12:10
Update:

VANGOUGH "Game On" (new release 2010) + T-Shirt  replacing old release "Manikin Parade"

Prog On !
Marty McFly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2010 at 00:58
Originally posted by M@X M@X wrote:

UPDATE

1x Free download of ARNIOE "Forever Free" (2007) digital music 

I talked with him one or two weeks ago and suggested him that giving free album in these competitions would be great way to promote his work. 

Is it like that ? :-)

There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
M@X View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2010 at 04:29
^ Thanks for the help here Marty ! He mentioned your name, indeed ! Thumbs Up
Prog On !
Evolutionary Sleeper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2010 at 10:21
Awesome work guys! The prizes keep piling up!
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2010 at 14:02
May I suggest it'd be nice to have the winners list up here too?
M@X View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2010 at 14:11
I will post the link to the winners posts each month here.
Prog On !
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2010 at 14:21
Good stuff Thumbs Up
M@X View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2010 at 06:12
UPDATE

1 x Free CD of the latest release of EMPYRIA, "The Long Road Home" (2009)

Thumbs Up
Prog On !
halabalushindigus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2010 at 16:20
ok Im going to do the white album.  yeah right good luck i know

assume the power 1586/14.3
J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2010 at 11:02
Originally posted by halabalushindigus halabalushindigus wrote:

ok Im going to do the white album.  yeah right good luck i know

Question

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
halabalushindigus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2010 at 05:45
Attention J-Man:

I have just submitted my review
the one I said I was gonna do

wouldn't of done it without your'e question mark. Thanks for the LoveThumbs Up

assume the power 1586/14.3
M@X View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2010 at 09:09
UPDATE:  

LoudTrax.com: Rock & Metal digital download store offers us 1 album download per month !!

More about LoudTrax here http://www.loudtrax.com/

Thumbs Up

Edited by M@X - May 21 2010 at 09:10
Prog On !
LOUDTRAX View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2010 at 13:30
thanks to ProgArchives for this!  We love your site and are happy to be giving away 1 album per month to your readers.

guys, if you have any suggestions or comments on how to make LoudTrax.com better to suit your individual needs, just send me an email at info(at)loudtrax.com

www.Loudtrax.com
M@X View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2010 at 07:18
Guys,

I will pick the winner for APRIL and MAY later this week.

Thanks for your participation

Max
Prog On !
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2010 at 17:09
Any news, Max?

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
M@X View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2010 at 06:41
Yes, today is the day.

Sorry for the delay.

Dead
Prog On !
M@X View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2010 at 12:15
Here's the list of the randomly picked winners of April 2010 are:

• Marty McFlyDoug Larson's Imports (http://www.hicom.net/~dlarson/) 25$ gift certicifate. 
    > To redeem your 25$, place your order with Doug directly at [email protected] and he'll apply the 25$ discount.

• thehallwayROBERT BERIAU "Selfishness: Source of War & Violence" Digital Music Album
    > Y
    ou will receive an email/PM from ROBERT BERIEAU on how to download your music.

• snobb  | GEMM 25$ Order Credit (refunded by PayPal)  on GEMM Green Shield sellers 
    > To use 
    your credit, please place your order with Green Shield sellers and contact [email protected] 

• Priamus  Free downloads of EPIGNOSIS "Stil the Waters"
    > Y
    ou will receive an email or forum private message from the PA member & artist EPIGNOSIS on how to download it.

• Brendan Free downloads of EPIGNOSIS "Stil the Waters"
    > You will receive an email or forum private message from the PA member & artist EPIGNOSIS on how to download it.

• mohaveman Free CD (past PA Featured Artist) VANGOUGH "Game On" + T-Shirt
    > Send me your postal address and T-Shirt prefered size so we can ship it.

• FruMp  | (Past PA Featured Artist) PAUL CUSICK "Focal Point" Free CD
    > Send me your postal address so we can ship it.

• arcane-beautiful | RANDONE "Linea di Confine" (2009) CD

• deafmoon  | 1 audio CD of the upcoming RPWL "The Gentle Art of Music" (Out June 22nd 2010)

• Conor Fynes | 1 free Progarchives.com T-Shirt

• mohaveman Free download of ARNIOE "Forever Free" (2007) digital music album
    > Send me your emailaddress so we can send the link

• ZowieZiggy | 1 CD of EMPYRIA "The Long Road Home" (2009)

• Rune2000 | 1 album download of your choice at LoudTrax.com
    > Send me your email address so we can send the link

And the winner of the "Review of the month" is thellama73 with his review of AUBE "Howling Obsession" (As selected by admin's EASY MONEY)

3 stars Nakajima Akifumi is a Japanese noise artist who specializes in drawing a wide variety of sounds from a single original source. In this case, that source is a small speaker, from which he has managed to craft an entire album of diverse sounds. As the title indicates, this is a reworking of an earlier release and adds a twenty-three minute live performance to the original tracklist.

The title track begins with the low drone of speaker hum, fading slowly up from silence until it approaches a roar. This is actually a very atmospheric recording, and almost gives the impression of an audio landscape. The persistant hum is intruded upon by slashing crackles of static and low rumbloing feedback, resulting in a rather moody and mysterious sound enviroment. Considering the limited nature of the inputs, it's a very well composed track, and the highlight of the album. After seventeen minutes of this, a short piece cnsiting mainly of clicking provides a nice intermisson before the album's other lengthy piece, "M.O.L."

"M.O.L." is much more aggressive in its approach, consisting mainly of blistering noise broken up by high pitched shrieks and squeals. The beleagured speaker is pushed to its breaking point, growling like an angry Harley Davidson in need of an oil change. It's enjoyable, but perhaps less artful in its execution that what came before. The final track of the original release lasts a mere fve minutes and employs filters to create a slow sweeping effect up and down the frequency range. It's uneventful, but a nice comedown after the intensity of the preceeding track.

Finally, the bonus live track, also titled "Howling Obsession" bears little overt resemblence to its namesake. It uses the same sound source, and slowly evolves over its twenty-three minute length from quiet drones and whines to more intense fare. There are even a few basic rhythms subtly included from time to time. The piece is sprawling and impressive in its dversity, but it is improvised and it shows. The carefully crafted compositions on the album proper differ markedly from this freewheeling exploration of the speaker.

For fans of noise, Aube certainly offers some interesting moments. His single source approach is fascinating, but the result of such self-imposed limitations are at times less consistant than comparable works of other noise artists, such as Merzbow.

Thanks to Easy Money and congratulation again to thellama73 , winner of the 25$ Amazon.com Gift Certificate.
thellama73 Pelase send me the valid email address so I can send the electronic email gift card.

Congratulation Clap

Thanks to all participants.

Coming later today , MAY 2010 winners !!Wink
Prog On !
Evolutionary Sleeper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2010 at 12:17
Congrats to the april winners! Clap

Edited by Evolutionary Sleeper - June 09 2010 at 12:17
snobb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2010 at 12:25
Thanks for the prize!Big smileThumbs Up
M@X View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2010 at 15:08
Here's the list of the randomly picked winners of May 2010 are:

• sinkadotentree Doug Larson's Imports (http://www.hicom.net/~dlarson/) 25$ gift certicifate. 
    > To redeem your 25$, place your order with Doug directly at [email protected] and he'll apply the 25$ discount.

• Marty McFlyROBERT BERIAU "Selfishness: Source of War & Violence" Digital Music Album
    > Y
    ou will receive an email/PM from ROBERT BERIEAU on how to download your music.

• genbanks | GEMM 25$ Order Credit (refunded by PayPal)  on GEMM Green Shield sellers 
    > To use 
    your credit, please place your order with Green Shield sellers and contact [email protected] 

• FarBeyondProg Free downloads of EPIGNOSIS "Stil the Waters"
    > Y
    ou will receive an email or forum private message from the PA member & artist EPIGNOSIS on how to download it.

• AtomicCrimsonRush Free downloads of EPIGNOSIS "Stil the Waters"
    > You will receive an email or forum private message from the PA member & artist EPIGNOSIS on how to download it.

• AtomicCrimsonRush Free CD (past PA Featured Artist) VANGOUGH "Game On" + T-Shirt

• Brendan | (Past PA Featured Artist) PAUL CUSICK "Focal Point" Free CD

• FarBeyondProg  | RANDONE "Linea di Confine" (2009) CD

• Tarcisio Moura | 1 audio CD of the upcoming RPWL "The Gentle Art of Music" (Out June 22nd 2010)

• Evolver 1 free Progarchives.com T-Shirt

• snobb Free download of ARNIOE "Forever Free" (2007) digital music album
    > Send me your emailaddress so we can send the link

• sinkadotentree | 1 CD of EMPYRIA "The Long Road Home" (2009)

• mistermasyl | 1 album download of your choice at LoudTrax.com
    > Send me your email address so we can send the link

And the winner of the "Review of the month" is tarkus1980  with his review of BRIAN ENO "Here come the warm jets" (As selected by admin's EASY MONEY)

HERE COME THE WARM JETS (1973)
Brian Eno Progressive Electronic

5 stars Not bad for a "boring ambient guy." Eno's first "true" solo album doesn't just entertain the hell out of me; it basically defies a single classification. The guitars are often abrasive in a punkish sort of way, and the song structures are basically simple and "normal," but the arrangements are so thick and layered and intricate (not to mention avant-garde) that it has to be considered as a kind of art-rock (plus, the second side can be seen as a single extended suite of sorts). Think early Roxy Music (which makes sense, given that all of the RM members except Bryan Ferry participate in this album) crossed with a bit of Velvet Underground, a smidge of Beatles, and with the manic wackiness factor turned up to 11, and you start to form a picture of an album that will never ever leave my top 100.

Take the album's opener, "Needle in the Camel's Eye," for instance. There are layers on layers of Manzaneras aggressively playing single notes (at least, that's what it sounds like to me), coming together to form chords, which should please both fans of minimalism and of dense arrangements, and what is that chord sequence and vocal melody if not one of the loveliest, warmest Beatles-quality ditties around? It might be nice if Eno's vocals were higher in the mix, but then again that might overshadow the incredibly cool-sounding guitars, so I don't mind. And those start-stops in the second half? Don't they feel completely natural, completely organic, completely necessary to you? I know they do to me.

Lessee, then there's "The Paw Paw Negro Blowtorch" (what a wonderfully awful title), which has wonderfully goofy singing and a wonderfully goofy synth solo, which shows quite amply that a solo full of weird noises can compete with a solo full of weird notes any day of the week. And then, of course, there's the glorious "Baby's on Fire," an awesome, loud pop- rocker with a catchy-as-hell vocal melody (with a totally over-the-top singing performance to boot) and what just happens to be my favorite guitar solo ever. From the very first notes, the tone screams out "I AM AWESOME," and Fripp hits on note and sound combinations that make me grit my teeth and tighten my sphincter every time. It's not really a solo with any "purpose" to it other than just trying to rule as much as humanly possible, but that's more than enough for me.

The last two songs of side one aren't quite as walloping, but they're terrific nonetheless. "Cindy Tells Me" is a pop ballad that has always struck me as Eno going for a classic Beach Boys-ish sort of sound, only with vocals more nasal than Mike Love on his worst day (not that I'm complaining) and a piercing guitar solo that somehow manages to fit in perfectly. And then there's the menacing "Driving Me Backwards," centered around two notes on a piano (yup, Brian the minimalist ambient dude was there on some level from the beginning) that create an awful lot of well-placed, but still kinda goofy tension; it's dark, but dark in a way that I feel like it could be the background music of one of the grey, murky castle levels in Super Mario 3 or something like that.

"On Some Faraway Beach" kicks off side two, and to say it's fantastic is to say nothing. It's filled with one keyboard level after another that's incredibly easy to play and would probably be easy to write, but to put them all together into something like this is simply unbelievable. I'll tell you, one of the synth lines (you'll know it when you hear it) before the vocals come in, in the context of all of the other layers that have come before, ends up being one of the most breathtakingly gorgeous sounds I've ever heard in my life, and by the time we get to the lyrics about wanting to commit suicide on a beach, it's all I can do to keep from crying. And sheesh, way to strip it back down perfectly, Brian.

The noisy and ugly "Blank Frank," which comes next, is a bit of a letdown for me, but I still appreciate it somewhat; it's Fripp's second showcase of the album, and some of the rhythm work here is just insane. Not always really enjoyable to my ears, but interesting nonetheless. "Dead Finks Don't Talk" is better but not great, with both the singing and speaking parts of the song definitely dredging up thoughts of Bryan Ferry and Roxy Music (e.g. "In Every Home a Heartache" or "Song For Europe," even though the latter was done after Eno left), but it's the goofy "More fool me, bless my soul" McCartney-esque pastiche in the second half that makes the song for me (not to mention the processed noise fest in the last half minute).

Fortunately, the album ends on a very strong note, with an INCREDIBLE pop ballad in "Some of Them are Old" and a nice instrumental (sorta; there are vocals, they're just very buried in the mix and only in the second half) keyboard number in the title track. The former is just sooooo warm, with some of the loveliest pedal steel guitar work you'll ever hear in the mid-song break before a bunch of beautiful layered synths come back to carry the main melody with gusto. And the mood, sheesh, the mood; I want to say it's nostalgic, but that doesn't feel quite right. It's unique, whatever it is, and the confusing bell sounds at the end (that come out of nowhere, really) only make it that much more puzzling. And the latter? Can you think of a more beautiful song about getting peed on? I sure can't!

Oh man, what an album. Anybody who wants to lay any claim to the status of "music snob" simply has to have this around. The buying public didn't really know what to do with it, but time has largely corrected that mistake, and you should join the critical masses and swipe this up as soon as possible.

Thanks to Easy Money and congratulation again to tarkus1980, winner of the 25$ Amazon.com Gift Certificate.
> Pelase 
send me the valid email address so I can send the electronic email gift card.

Congratulation to all the winners.

Clap

Edited by M@X - June 09 2010 at 15:09
Prog On !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 20>