Topic ClosedIQ - Bury Met 29th November 2008

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: IQ - Bury Met 29th November 2008
    Posted: December 01 2008 at 03:45
I have been a fan of IQ since the very start but this was the first time I'd seen the band in a hell of a long time.  As such I was very much looking forward to this: I was not disappointed.

The Met is an excellent venue, small and intimate, and there was a crowd of about 300 which created an excellent atmosphere for the gig.

Peter Nicholls' recent problems are well known.  Despite recovering from pneumonia earlier in the year, he had been laid low by a nasty flu virus, and in fact missed the bands previous gig in Germany due to ill health.  However, shortly before the start guitarist Mike Holmes came on stage and announced to the throng that Peter was ok to perform, but only at about 70%.

The band were excellent, and though Nicholls struggled with the higher notes, he was ably assisted by the rest of the band. It really didn't detract from the gig at all for me.  I am pleased to announce that IQ have lost none of their zest, and were as good as when I last saw them, many years ago.

THE SETLIST

Frequency
Erosion
Sleepless Incidental
Stronger Than Friction
Darkest Hour
The Wake
Closer
Widow's Peak
Last Human Gateway (middle section)
Guiding Light

It All Stops Here
Out Of Nowhere

A highlight of the set for me was the opener Frequency, the title track from the forthcoming album.  It's typical IQ, with loads of mellotron.  The classic Widow's Peak was also aired, a particular favourite of mine.  However the standout for me was Guiding Light, with all the band in top form.  Several new numbers from the upcoming album were played and whilst it is difficult to judge fully on first hearing, Stronger Than Friction and the aforementioned Frequency sounded extremely promising, and very much in the territory of the usual IQ sound that I and many others have come to love over the years.

The set was a little shorter than expected, probably due to Nicholls' recovering voice, and unfortunately my favourite track The Seventh House was omitted Cry.  However, in the grand scheme of things I can't really complain.  If the gig had been a few days earlier, Peter Nicholls probably wouldn't have made it.

Holmes showed himself to be the top class guitarist he always has been, his solos full of emotion.  The rhythm section of Andy Edwards and John Jowitt provide the perfect base for the rest of the band to work their magic.  This was also my first opportunity to hear new keyboard player Mark Westworth.  Filling the shoes of Martin Orford will not be easy, but he seemed to fit in seamlessly. 

This has really whetted my appetite for the new album.  In addition, I resolve it won't be as long as this before I see the band again live.

Regards to all.

Roj.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2008 at 05:37
Sounds like it was a great show.  Thank you for providing a review of it.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2008 at 06:06
Nothing from Dark Matter?

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2008 at 06:55
^^^That struck me as a bit odd too..   
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2008 at 07:48
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Nothing from Dark Matter?

No, nothing from Dark Matter.  Would loved to have heard Sacred Sound myself.  However, as they have an upcoming album to promote, Harvest of Souls might have taken up too much of the set LOL.

Having said that, as noted in the review, the new stuff sounded great.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2008 at 11:29
That really surprises me... their most recent album (notwithstanding the new one on its way) & (to my mind at least) their strongest yet... but they play nothing from it... not even 'You Never Will'???

Curious, very curious...

Possible reasons:

1 - Peter Nicholls's voice not up to it due to recent health problems?

2 - New keyboard player unable to scale the same heights as Orford(yet)...?

3 - Martin Orford owns the copyright to the material ?

Seriously though - had I been there, I'd have been disappointed at the lack of DM material & I'd be interested to know why they've dropped it from the set

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2008 at 13:42

Aye, no stuff from Dark Matter, but I was at their last Gig at Bury, when they played all the stuff from Dark Matter coz it was that tour..............Introduced my youngest son (14) to his first gig and he said he loved it, especially the guitarist.

Not many prog gigs in the NW England, thanks IQ for entertaining me on the Saturday night. good weekend with United winning the derby the day after as well  - YEEEESSSS......
Proggy Pogo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2009 at 03:47
Well done Roj Clap that's an excellent review!!  I couldn't add anything except to say that I was there too and it was my first time seeing IQ live.  I certainly intend for it not to be the last, as I thought they were superb and I too am looking forward to the new album.

And by the way Jim Garten, that's a fine garden shed you have ...... Wink
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2009 at 13:52
Nice review Roger! IQ isn't my fave Neo-Prog/Retro band, but it's nonethless a group of EXCELLENT musicians/writers.

As before me said, the ommision of Dark Matter to the playlist, surprises me...

...You sure had a great time!!
 Post Reply Post Reply