Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGodsticks (Eclectic)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Godsticks (Eclectic)
    Posted: December 01 2008 at 11:48
Recently I came across this band on MySpace, and it looks like they've just released their debut, 5-track EP. Listening to the music, not only is it really good, but I think they deserve a shot at a place in PA. They have a wildly funky bass in all of their songs, pronounced keyboards and some very experimental and excellent instrumental parts in all of their songs. You have to check out Puppy Gardener, which is the longest of the tracks and probably my favorite.

To describe their sound I'd say it's like Beardfish on drugs thinking they're the Red Hot Chilli Peppers (which does not deract from their progness, I might add Wink).

Godsticks' MySpace

I say eclectic only because I can draw the most parallels to Beardfish, someone else may find a better fit for them. Looking forward to what other proggers have to say! Big smile
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2008 at 17:04
Hi Mike,

I listened to this yesterday, but didn't get around to responding.  I don't know Beardfish that well, but get the similarities.  I think it is on the Crossover side of Eclectic.  It's very nice, jazzy/ funky rock with mainstream/ alternative elements.  They don't mention Rush as an influence, but I sure get that from the first track.

I'm going to want to spin this a few times before giving a definitive answer (I'd like it in art rock, and lean towards Eclectic).
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2008 at 19:01
Hey Logan,

do you have the whole EP (all 5-tracks)? Anyways, good to hear there's interest. I've been listening to this thing non-stop the last couple of days (as evidenced in my signature). If the team approves and needs a bio I'd be happy to do it - and the album addition.

IF they approve, that is
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2008 at 20:27
No, I don't have an EP of this band.  I'm actually more inclined towards Xover with this one based on those tracks (I'd forgotten about "Clinical").  Would need to hear the EP to consider it for Eclectic.  Good band.
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2008 at 06:32
Cool band! Very funky from what I'm hearing with a Alternative feel, good jazzy keys and guitars somewhat Zappa-ish. The vocals are similar to one of the many vocalist Zappa had, the one from Village of the Sun on Roxy & Elsewhere, well at least in 'Only When Provoked'

Very good band Mike! It would be nice if the EP was released here.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2008 at 11:44
Glad you liked it Cacho! Hopefully the teams give their approval

If you liked this EP you should definitely check out "Beardfish", I feel a lot of similarities between the two bands
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2008 at 11:49
^I must check them out then, which album do you recomend me.

BTW, let's hope Godsticks get in.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2008 at 12:00
Sleeping In Traffic Pt 2 is their newest, and it's one of my top 5 of the year. Very good album which features a 35-minute epic and some other very good stuff including The Hunter, which has a bass line not unlike Godsticks, but a little more tame.

As for Godsticks, my fingers are very much crossed because I've been enjoying these guys way too much to not be able to review their ep
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2008 at 12:06
^LOL 

Ok, I'll see what my wallet has to offer me.
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2008 at 12:17
I finally found 15 minutes of my day to listen to the myspace tracks, I recognize avant-esque (although just funky-soundin') rhythms that would propulsate Godsticks above Xover, but the other two tracks bring me down to the ground - good music, progressive enough to my ears (but I wouldn't put a lab scan on it, impurities might be subjectively easy to detect). I can't make a proper, decisive vote for Eclectic, so, since Logan thought the same, perhaps the EP short trip is playing tricks on us.

Good suggestion, anyway, and we'll do our best to decide soon on it.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2008 at 15:12
Bump!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2008 at 15:24
I'm on the Crossover side with Godsticks, but will listen again to it this weekend to be sure (then I'll give my final word). EDIT: have you discussed it with the Xover team?  In Eclectic, one was on the fence (Eclectic or Crossover), one was definitely for it in Xover, and I lean to Xover.  Some of the material is suitable for Eclectic, but some is more Xover appropriate.  I feel that there's enough mainstream elements in the music for a Xover evaluation.

Edited by Logan - December 10 2008 at 15:28
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2008 at 15:27
ah! You guys are killing me! I really want to review this EP

If/when you guys approve and you need info and a bio, then I'm your guy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2008 at 18:27
taking a listen...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2008 at 19:06
Mike... Godsticks is in for Xover.

Send me the bio and I'll do the addition and credit you for your work.   

Edited by micky - December 10 2008 at 19:09
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2008 at 21:31
Ah Micky, this is why I love you

I'll work on the bio and have it in your inbox soon
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2008 at 18:22
and added... thanks a ton Mike Clap Nice find.

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=4143

Edited by micky - December 12 2008 at 18:22
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2008 at 19:26
Just added the EP. I should have a review up soon
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2008 at 19:28
Clap
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2008 at 06:19
nice review Mike Clap

Review

King By-Tor
(Mike Sharkey)
3 stars Another excellent crossover act to pay attention to!

This band with their debut EP really came out of nowhere to make an excellent strike at the progressive community. What we have here is a 3-piece band out of Wales with a very unique and intriguing sound, and though this EP is only the start to what should be a promising career, it really is an excellent listen time after time. Running at 22-minutes in length the disc is just about a full blown studio release anyways, and the amount of polish and effort put into the disc really separate this band from a lot of other bands attempting to hit it off.

Godsticks must have learned something in their early days as a cover band, because it is really hard to compare them to any other band. The band plays a style of music that is almost unclassifiable, it's surprisingly 'large' sounding for a 3-piece group and it has enough funk to it to make you want to dance. Still there's a heavy amount of keyboards and virtuosic musicianship to make the hardcore proggers turn their head in notice. Speed changes in some of the songs make for some spine chilling moments that will bring a smile to your face just about every time, and the unmistakable groove in many of the songs just makes you want to put them on repeat. Jason Marsh is immediately a notable player with his aggressive style of bass playing that dominates many of the tracks as ''The Fish'' once did in Yes. The intro to Puppy Gardener is an absolutely wonderful fiasco of bass playing until the rest of the band comes in. While this song is definitely the highlight of the entire disc it's not only because of the bass playing. Steve Roberts makes the skins interesting with his playing that can keep your head bobbing while Darran Charles distinct voice delivers some quirky lines and his subtle, yet effective guitar playing add yet another layer to the music.

Of course, let's not forget about the rest of these excellent tracks. Not The Face opens up the fray with a splash of keyboards before moving right into the tune. If there's one thing you really have to respect about this band it has got to be the way they are able to maneuver through concisely written tunes as though they had 20-minutes to let a song unfold. The songs are all fairly short, between 3-6 minutes each, but all the songs have enough time to develop themes and nothing ever feels like it's 'cut short'. Ease The Clown opens up with some soothing guitar reminiscent of an emotional Joe Satriani and that dominant bass which leads into the main section of the song. Excellent melodies help make this one yet another standout on the album.

The second half of the EP is a lot more 'calm', but no less impressive. Venial is a pleasing and very serene tune that has a nice little breakdown coming into the beginning of the chorus. That unmissable funk comes back full force in this song but still manages to stay subtle throughout the tune, making for a very pleasing combination of laid back and demanding - like a perfectly mixed drink. A wonderfully emotive guitar solo from Charles coming into the second half is enough to give you chills as the song slowly makes its way to the end. It ends with another calm tune in the form of Clinical which is largely reminiscent of a progressive version of The Red Hot Chilli Peppers. Charles makes subdued use of his voice, as he seems to know its limits well. By the time the album ends you'll no doubt be salivating for more.

It seems like there's been a lot of excellent debut EPs sprouting up all over the place. Between these guys and other acts like Mekhlin there's a very promising new progressive scene emerging that has a very unique sound that should shush all the nay-sayers who are saying that progressive music is becoming stale. Like Mekhlin this band has released an excellent and highly impressive disc with this EP, and people should really start to focus their attention when the band starts recording their first studio album. This one is going to get 3.5 post-it notes out of 5 for an incredibly strong 22-minute debut that shows an impeccable amount of promise. Highly recommended, and let's hope a studio release is not too far away.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>