Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOne person or very close friends?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: One person or very close friends?
    Posted: December 02 2008 at 03:54
I wondered if these are two person or this is just one person. Having two accounts makes it possible to vote twice for certain albums and this is kind of a problem.

I don't want to point fingers immediately because they could be friends also. However, I think it's important to know if JanZbik and Jan_Zbik are one person or very close friends. 

If they're friends, I haven't said a thing. 
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2008 at 04:06
Having posted this publicly makes the "I haven't said a thing" part a bit hard dudeWink
Foolsdrummer View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2008 at 05:31

ApproveSure, I guess you're right, but I didn't want to offense them if they're innocent. In that case I didn't want to make a fuss, but I wasn't sure what they or he or she wanted to do, so I posted it, thinking that there isn't a 'I am not really sure if I can put this on the Report abuse here Forum' Tongue(which would be ridiculous, btw).

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2008 at 07:51
"they" have sometimes voted for the same albums...

I've seen enough.
What?
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2008 at 13:52
I am two people.
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2008 at 14:05
I'm bi-polar : one sometimes happy  slightly manic person, one sometimes melancholic and tired person.
Can I set up an ID for both. I swear to review any album twice only in opposing moods Geek
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2008 at 14:16
^ No, but there are no rules against a dual review as long as it's inside the one review. Whether I like an album or not often depends on my mood.
What?
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2008 at 10:04
Originally posted by Foolsdrummer Foolsdrummer wrote:

I wondered if these are two person or this is just one person. Having two accounts makes it possible to vote twice for certain albums and this is kind of a problem.

I don't want to point fingers immediately because they could be friends also. However, I think it's important to know if JanZbik and Jan_Zbik are one person or very close friends. 

If they're friends, I haven't said a thing. 

If you're talking of the forum^polls, who cares? It's not like they're official

if you're talking of rating in the database, I'm sure this has been picked up either by the review moderators, or by the the other watchdogs . I mean the difference between these two names is evident it's the same person all cheating in the database almost impossible. If you rezally wanted to cheat, you'd chose two very different names, so no links can appear.
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2008 at 10:10
I use only one single login-ID and visit the polls rather frequently. Sometimes the 'Cast My Vote'-button reappears in a poll where I have already voted. Maybe it is because I log in from two different PC's, depending on where I am at that moment. I have to find out why this is the case.

By the way, it's not my habit to seize the opportunity to vote more than once.
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2008 at 10:36
Something tells me this person rated an album twice. I don't think there's a way to see who voted in the polls and where, am I right?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2008 at 10:55
^ Sorry - I didn't make myself clear enough the first time - yes "they" have somtimes rated the same albums.

I doubt they've voted in a Poll because they've only posed on the forum once in 2 years.
What?
WinterLight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2008 at 11:50
In fact, it would be somewhat difficult to prevent completely the occurrence of multiple accounts.  All one has to do is create each account with a different e-mail address (single-use accounts are easy to obtain) and behind a different proxy.  Switch proxies before each logon (again, easy to do with Tor and Firefox).

Note that I'm not endorsing (nor condemning, for that matter) this behavior; rather I'm simply observing that it's silly to waste energy to prevent something that is not preventable (at least under present conditions--you could disallow free and anonymous e-mail accounts, but then this would alienate a large number of users, I'm sure).
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2008 at 13:10
Originally posted by WinterLight WinterLight wrote:

In fact, it would be somewhat difficult to prevent completely the occurrence of multiple accounts.  All one has to do is create each account with a different e-mail address (single-use accounts are easy to obtain) and behind a different proxy.  Switch proxies before each logon (again, easy to do with Tor and Firefox).

Note that I'm not endorsing (nor condemning, for that matter) this behavior; rather I'm simply observing that it's silly to waste energy to prevent something that is not preventable (at least under present conditions--you could disallow free and anonymous e-mail accounts, but then this would alienate a large number of users, I'm sure).
That is indeed true ... and even though I joke about tilting at windmills for sport and pleasure, it is often simpler to identify the miscreants and do nothing other than keep an eye on them than it is to chase them around the internet. (I have a list Wink). Sometimes it is a curious academic exercise for mental relief in idle moments when there is little to watch on TV other than re-runs of I Love Lucy; sometimes it is an earnest attempt to isolate a dastardly villain hell bent on bending hell and jacking a meaningless album up an equally meaningless chart, but most of the time it is like doing a crossword or a suduko puzzle - no cash prizes just plain amusement. Many things in life that are silly, and an immeasurable number that are a waste of energy, posting here, now, fulfils both criteria, yet we do it and will continue to do it as long as it amuses us.

The question I would have to ask is why go to all that bother of creating multiple accounts with dummy email addresses and diverting proxies just to access a simple website nestling in a quiet backwater off the main drag of the world wide web? If someone has gone to all that trouble, then the least I can do is amuse them by chasing my tail and barking like a tree.
What?
WinterLight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2008 at 13:19
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

[
The question I would have to ask is why go to all that bother of creating multiple accounts with dummy email addresses and diverting proxies just to access a simple website nestling in a quiet backwater off the main drag of the world wide web?

You're completely right, of course: any sane person wouldn't bother with it.  Still some people do have too much time on their hands, and some people like to "beat the system" just for the sake of beating it.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2008 at 13:42
Originally posted by WinterLight WinterLight wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

[
The question I would have to ask is why go to all that bother of creating multiple accounts with dummy email addresses and diverting proxies just to access a simple website nestling in a quiet backwater off the main drag of the world wide web?

You're completely right, of course: any sane person wouldn't bother with it.  Still some people do have too much time on their hands, and some people like to "beat the system" just for the sake of beating it.
If someone's gone to all that trouble, then good luck to them. Their reward is a personal and a somewhat lonely one as the rest of us cannot share in it or heap praise upon the cunningness of deed.

However, for those that create multiple accounts by mistake, (forgotten user-names and/or passwords etc.) and those just creating mischief, we will happily mop-up the mess and leave the place a little tidier than when we found it.
What?
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2008 at 13:56
Hell, I'm thinking of making multiple accounts just to swing that damn "VdGG vs GG" poll Alex made.  61-61 last time I checked.  LOL
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2008 at 14:06
fixed Wink
What?
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2009 at 04:50
The birthday calendar always proves to be a showroom of multiple ID's. Today I see Frank Crimson, King Zappa and Prince Crimson, all celebrating their 26th birthday. A closer look at their profiles shows that they all bear the same name.

And this is just e pluribus unum...

Edited by someone_else - April 03 2009 at 04:51
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2009 at 05:38
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

The birthday calendar always proves to be a showroom of multiple ID's. Today I see Frank Crimson, King Zappa and Prince Crimson, all celebrating their 26th birthday. A closer look at their profiles shows that they all bear the same name.

And this is just e pluribus unum...

Actually it's The Artist Previously Known As Prince Crimson.
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2009 at 13:48
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

I am two people.

Siamese Wombats?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>