Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedStratovarius

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2008 at 04:19
Originally posted by HughesJB4 HughesJB4 wrote:

"Pantera did the Metallica style far better than Metallica ever could and so did Anthrax"
At absolute best, that is laughable.

Pantera played groove metal, a sub genre derived from thrash metal.
They didn't even play thrash metal......so how could they have "dont the Metallica style better than Metallica"?
Anthrax was an East Coast thrash band more focused on melody and less complex structures than Metallica.
Anthrax did Anthrax.
They didn't do Metallica.

I have to say it, you're digging yourself into a hole here.
Each new post you make in this thread makes it harder for me to believe you know your stuff (no offense intended).

A lot of what you're said isn't really substantiated at all.

Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2008 at 04:20
Originally posted by slaver slaver wrote:

I have dabbled with Korn and would be suprised if their album "Issues" weren't considered prog. Mostly though they just go on their merry monotonous way.   

Now I'm finding it almost impossible to take you seriously on the matter.

DavetheSlave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2008 at 04:54
I think that we have some very different views on music - but that's what makes life interesting. To my mind Tool have a lot to thank Korn for. For the record - I cannot stand Tool.
If you haven't listened to Issues then you'll find some very interesting music and some very interesting subject matter there. Way way better than anything else Korn have released. I don't believe that they should be here but if that was a stand alone release of theirs then I would say that they should most definately be.

Another eyebrow raiser, for me, is the inclusion of the Who on Progarchives. Sure they did Tommy and Quadrophena but the BG's did a lot on Saturday Night Fever and its follow up. Neither band is progressive
in any form.

We have The Stones, The Beatles, The Who, Black Sabbath (who only did one proggish album, Uriah Heep who did one or two proggish tracks etc etc on Progarchives) - still no Stratovarius.
David Bowie did more to contibute to Prog than most and he aint here?

All of you guys have an excellent site and you do excellent work and I understand that you can't please everyone. As well I understand that everyone has different ideas and preferences.

Just fair warning - I'm going to harp on the Stratovarius issue every now and then. 

The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2008 at 05:33
Originally posted by slaver slaver wrote:

I think that we have some very different views on music - but that's what makes life interesting. To my mind Tool have a lot to thank Korn for. For the record - I cannot stand Tool.
If you haven't listened to Issues then you'll find some very interesting music and some very interesting subject matter there. Way way better than anything else Korn have released. I don't believe that they should be here but if that was a stand alone release of theirs then I would say that they should most definately be.

Another eyebrow raiser, for me, is the inclusion of the Who on Progarchives. Sure they did Tommy and Quadrophena but the BG's did a lot on Saturday Night Fever and its follow up. Neither band is progressive
in any form.

We have The Stones, The Beatles, The Who, Black Sabbath (who only did one proggish album, Uriah Heep who did one or two proggish tracks etc etc on Progarchives) - still no Stratovarius.
David Bowie did more to contibute to Prog than most and he aint here?

All of you guys have an excellent site and you do excellent work and I understand that you can't please everyone. As well I understand that everyone has different ideas and preferences.

Just fair warning - I'm going to harp on the Stratovarius issue every now and then. 

The Who are here in Proto-Prog, they're NOT PROG! Neither The Beatles or Sabbath nor Bowie. The Who being on Proto-Prog pretty much says it all, PROTO being before Prog existed, they influenced future Prog bands as well as The Beatles, The Doors, Floyd's Piper's, many many others.. Their Rock Opera/Concept was very innovating for the time, as well as the 10 minute epic A Quick One.
Sabbath, has influenced so many hard rock/metal bands that you can't imagine. Their first 2 albums were highly innovating and then realesed 2 very Proggy albums Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage, which I consider them Heavy Prog, and some people would add Never Say Die or even Heaven and Hell.

But I'm getting out of the subject....
Just my 2 centsBig smile
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2008 at 09:45
Did someone just call Metallica´s lyrics satanic LOL?
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2008 at 14:20
Mike, Harry.... Are you SERIOUSLY discussing with someone who thinks music is prog when he cannot play it because it's difficult? Confused Damn.... Do you realize that most Genesis music is therefore NOT prog? Confused

Korn PROG???? 

Metallica's lyrics SATANIC??? (people haven't really heard Dark Funeral it seems)....

This is insane.

Prog (and prog metal, in this case this applies to both) it's not about how impossible it is to play it. Dragonforce would be prog metal; in that case, but Opeth wouldn't be. Please.. read a little bit... Don't focus only n your ideas... it's bad for you, because you don't let true knowledge grow in your mind with the input of other's people's ideas... Read the thread about Metallica and the bio... Read prg-metal's definition... read the thread about prog metal and prog.. read other websites.. read the yellow pages at least but please, bring something more to the table than Startovarius is prog because I can't play it. Stratovarius may be fast and technical but you have verse-chorus-verse all the time plus no additional elements like odd time signatures or the use of boldier, more experimental structures and forms... Stratovarius is plain METAL.

By the way go and listen to Spiral Architect, Now THAT'S prog-metal that's impossible to play and also PROG.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2008 at 14:31
Hmmm.  Methinks that The T is not mellowing with old age. Wink
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2008 at 14:35
LOL
Confused
Ouch (you just made me realize I'm old and tired....)

Ok fine iN god spirit, let's add Korn to the Archives! Tongue (and may somebody tell our major thread mover that the Rolling Stones are NOT in the Archives??LOL)
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2008 at 14:42
Sadly if Issues qualifies as a prog album, then based on my understanding of M@x's directive of any band that has released a full prog album then Korn should be in the Archives.  I have no opinion there on whether or not it is progressive or not.  I'd be surprised based on my small knowledge of Korn's music, but it could certainly be the case. 

I already gave my two cents on Stratovarius and I have nothing different to say to that extent.  No reason to let it stress you though Teo.  All is good either way.
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2008 at 14:44
This is one of the best threads I´ve seen in a while. Really enjoyable LOL. If anyone wants a couple of recommendations to satanic metal please give me a call.LOL
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2008 at 14:46
The Thing That Should Not Be has some sort of satanic message to it, wouldn't you think. Wink
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2008 at 14:48
LOL
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2008 at 16:16
Well, this certainly beats TV.

As micky would say: "Munch, munch".LOL
crimson87 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2008 at 18:06
Stratovarius may not be prog , but it made me appreciate lots of prog bands after. Like ELP
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2008 at 12:30
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

This is one of the best threads I´ve seen in a while. Really enjoyable LOL. If anyone wants a couple of recommendations to satanic metal please give me a call.LOL

I'm so drowned in black metal lately that I may actually ask for some christian metal one of these days just in hopes that I can save 10% of my lost soul! LOL
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2008 at 12:32
Whoever is the first to suggest Korn for addition loses 10 points in credibility but gains 48937493847 points for being so BRAVE! LOL
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2008 at 17:02

Not brave enough I´m sad to say.Big smile

DavetheSlave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2008 at 05:07
I've just listened again to Korn and yes I'm brave enough to suggest that their music is prog.  Anyone prepared to call them run of the mill? That would be braver!! Anyone happy to suggest that they are mainstream boogie or whatever metal?
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2008 at 05:28
^ if anything is prog, what's the point of having the label?
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2008 at 07:05
Oh, My God... Now, Korn.
Well, I just can watch the thread go on and make the bodycount.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>