Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Kino vs. It Bites (It was only a matter of time)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKino vs. It Bites (It was only a matter of time)

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which do you feel is better?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [27.27%]
8 [72.73%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kino vs. It Bites (It was only a matter of time)
    Posted: December 06 2008 at 09:14
The similarities are obvious. By the time Maitland bowed out of Kino and Bob Dalton came on board, Kino essentially became the current incarnation of It Bites. However, even before that Kino was 50% of the current It Bites (with Marillion's Trewavas on bass).

I'm a sucker for melodic rock with a great hook. Kino's Picture was overflowing with them and it was my favorite album of that year. More of the same with the new It Bites, but there's a bit more of an edge and (what I feel) a more interesting album. I can't get enough of this one and has edged out Pendragon's Pure as my favorite disc of 2008 (although Moon Safari is going to factor in as well).

So, do you feel the new It Bites is better?

E
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2008 at 10:42
Sorry E, I haven't heard Tall Ships yet.  I really enjoyed Kino's Picture however. 
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2008 at 12:10
No idea about Kino (on the other hand, I listened to KiNo and wasn't impressed), so can't make the comparison. It Bites's new album is my favorite studio so far, but that's because the "classic" three are terrible LOL - it's good music and a fresh, interesting, appealing side of It Bites I appreciate more - 3/3.5 on the scale, a bit less essential in 2008 prog-rock.

Edited by Ricochet - December 06 2008 at 12:10
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2008 at 11:49
Not heard the Kino album yet, so cant vote. But it's to be one my next purchases. It Bites' 'The Tall Ships' really appeals to me. I did like the 'classic' three, but this is easily their the and most conistent, in my opinion.

Excellent live band.
AlanD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2008 at 10:00
I saw It Bites at the Astoria in 1988, their performance of The Old Man and the Angel  at that gig was jaw-droppingly good !!

I've always liked their music, but still think most of their lyrics are pants!
AlanD
neil-white View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2009 at 17:20
I've got 3 albums on the go at the moment. Kino - Picture, It Bites - Tall ships and Frost* - Milliontown and I must say, all 3 are works of art and just go to show the genius that is John Mitchell!

You can't really call him the unsung hero of the new millenium prog scene, cos he can't walk away from CRS in Rotherham without awards. 

I love em all and respect to John, he was the foundation of Kino and adapted his style for It Bites when Kino morphed!! You can hear the Francis Dunnery guitar style that John has mastered from hs youth, he's adapted his vocal to It Bites style and I for one can't wait to see them in Sheffield on March 6th.... come on!!!
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2009 at 19:05
Not a bad post for being your first. Thumbs Up

I've enjoyed the projects that he's been a part of. He's really stepped out of the background of Arena and proven to be a very powerful creative force. One massive guitarist, too.

If Arena do anything in the future, I wonder if it'll involve Mitchell? He's got a lot of irons in the fire.

E
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2009 at 19:23
Originally posted by neil-white neil-white wrote:

works of art and just go to show the genius that is John Mitchell!

Good call.

Personally, I'm not voting yet, I don't have Picture though I hope to change that in the near future.

Frost* has become my favorite band after only Genesis and a large part of that is John Mitchell's work. 

I recently found out that 'It Bites' is coming to my local prog festival this fall so I picked up 'The Tall Ships' and wow, great album.  Second in '08 only to EIMA (strongly recommended).

-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
oldproglover View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2009 at 18:55
Gotta go with It Bites. I think it is a maturity of Kino. John Mitchell is a force! Need proof? Listen to Frost's Milliontown then list to Frost's second release Experiments in Mass Appeal. Frost goes from stellar to stinker when John's tallents are under utilized. He is still there but you would never know it.

Edited by oldproglover - September 02 2009 at 19:03
lovin' prog for over 35 years
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2009 at 06:59
Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

No idea about Kino (on the other hand, I listened to KiNo and wasn't impressed), so can't make the comparison. It Bites's new album is my favorite studio so far, but that's because the "classic" three are terrible LOL - it's good music and a fresh, interesting, appealing side of It Bites I appreciate more - 3/3.5 on the scale, a bit less essential in 2008 prog-rock.

Rico,

I did the same thing with much the same impression and now I can't get a few files from the damn album off of my computer cause he used such goofy naming structures for it. . . not that I'm bitter   Angry

Oh, and I now own both Picture and "The Tall Ships" and easily vote for "The Tall Ships".  In my opinion, Picture is good though it doesn't have nearly the hooks that "The Tall Ships" has.

Edited by Roland113 - September 03 2009 at 07:04
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2009 at 11:42
Originally posted by AlanD AlanD wrote:

I saw It Bites at the Astoria in 1988, their performance of The Old Man and the Angel  at that gig was jaw-droppingly good !!

I've always liked their music, but still think most of their lyrics are pants!

I think I was at that gig. I remember going to 2 It Bites gigs in London that year, and one was filmed. Cant remember which one, but there's loads of clips of it on Youtube. Worth checking out!

I witnessed the first ever live performance of 'Old man and the Angel' at a small club in Reading. It was actually the 'Big lad in the Windmill' tour, but they announced it as their next single, so I guess 'Once around the world' was due out anytime. It was indeed 'jaw-droppingly' good!
Badabing666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2009 at 16:10
at long last a poll where the answer is easy for me to answer - It Bites
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2009 at 20:28
Tall Ships is nowhere near as good as old It BItes  Hard to seperate the two really. As I saw It Bites perform from the Tall Ships...and it does have SOME good tracksd...I'll go for that.

Heck..Kino is pretty good though....
 Post Reply Post Reply