Topic ClosedObjective review about genres you dislike

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Objective review about genres you dislike
    Posted: April 22 2005 at 08:58

My theory is that one cannot write an objective review about music from a genre that he/she doesn't like. The review is almost always negative, blaming the artist(s) for things that most artists of the genre would do in the same way. Such reviews are of no help for people who already like other artists of the genre, and want to find similar music of good quality.

Examples:

- Someone who doesn't like Death Metal reviews Opeth
- A "Metal Head" reviews 70s King Crimson

What do you think about such reviews? They are usually recognizable by statments like "I don't like Metal, but ..." or "Normally I don't listen to XYZ ...".

Logos View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 09:05
It's true. I could never give an objective review, for example , for a rap album. I just hate the genre as a whole, and can't find differences between rap artists, so it's not worth even trying. It also pisses me off when some people who never listen to metal music, write reviews on metal albums. It's just not right!!
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 09:42

Objective reviews, who needs objectivity in a review, I like reviews as subjective as possible, what does the reviewer like about the album, or doesn't like about it. I'm not interested in the consensus view.

I think I can write decent reviews for genres I don't like, and they will be highly subjective, of course you should explain why you don't like it. I don't like objective reviews, they tell me nothing.

I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 09:57

It's very difficult to have an objective opinion because it requires knowledge, and most people don't bother learning about things they dislike. It seems to be hard enough for people to have an informed opinion about things they do like!

But true objectivity is impossible. All you can do is present your opinion with a disclaimer (i.e., "I'm not a fan of this kind of thing, but here's what I think anyway"). This alerts the reader to your preferences and keeps them aware that you're stating an opinion- rather than the usual "this is the best/ worst ever and anyone who doesn't recognize that is stupid".

Edited by James Lee
Baphomet View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 10:04

Like you just said objectivity is impossible so reviews usually lie somewehre in the middle of highly subjective and an attempt to be objective, i prefer the latter, but the only way to form an opinion on an album is read as many reviews as possible and see what most people write.

Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 10:08

James said it. Clap

ErmmI would add that such reviews can be useful, if prefaced with the "disclaimer," as there will be others with similar tastes & dislikes, who might otherwise unwittingly buy the album, and hate it. Stern Smile

See my review of Haggard -- You don't like gruff, affected "demonic" vocals in your prog? Stay away from Haggard, then!Dead

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 10:19
Originally posted by tuxon tuxon wrote:

Objective reviews, who needs objectivity in a review, I like reviews as subjective as possible, what does the reviewer like about the album, or doesn't like about it. I'm not interested in the consensus view.

Woody Allen once said that "objectivity is subjective" ... quite true. I'm not interested in a consensus view either. But if you are biased against the entire genre, you don't really have a reason to express that bias against a particular artist of the genre. Where's the point in saying "I don't like Metal, and that's why Dream Theater sucks".

I think I can write decent reviews for genres I don't like, and they will be highly subjective, of course you should explain why you don't like it. I don't like objective reviews, they tell me nothing.

Of course such posts can be informative and entertaining, but the negative effect on the rating is not ok ... maybe there should be an option "no rating" in addition to the five stars.

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 10:25
I rather have information than opinions in a review! Opinions are for those who wants to shine themselfs when writing, information is for those who puts the reader first!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 10:33
Opinions can be interesting, too. I'd say that I don't want emotions in a review ... at least not if emotions are the basis/motive for writing the review. The motivation should always be to help to reader, to increase their knowledge about the item reviewed.
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 10:37
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Woody Allen once said that "objectivity is subjective" ... quite true. I'm not interested in a consensus view either. But if you are biased against the entire genre, you don't really have a reason to express that bias against a particular artist of the genre. Where's the point in saying "I don't like Metal, and that's why Dream Theater sucks".

Of course such posts can be informative and entertaining, but the negative effect on the rating is not ok ... maybe there should be an option "no rating" in addition to the five stars.

So in the end all you want, is positive reviews from the fans and no other.

Please no critisism, no negative opinions please.

A review can not be objective. Positive reviews are as biased as negative ones.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 10:51

So in the end all you want, is positive reviews from the fans and no other.
Please no critisism, no negative opinions please.
A review can not be objective. Positive reviews are as biased as negative ones.

Not true. I don't mind negative reviews, if the negativity is related to the artist/album discussed. If you're just not into the genre, you should admit that you're not qualified to say something about it. In fact, "I don't like it" is all you can say in that case.

James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 10:56

One might argue that the statistical effect overall (including the 'biased' ratings) is the only thing even approaching objectivity. If an album is only reviewed by gushing fans, it will appear to have more importance than it deserves.

Metropolis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 11:09
I don't think he suggesting only fans reviewing albums, that would be silly.

I think what he's saying is that if, for example, you absolutely detest prog-metal as a genre, then you are not best suited to review prog metal albums, as you will dismiss all of them out of hand, whereas someone who can appreciate prog metal will be able to give a more subjective review of any given prog metal album, whether that review be good or bad.
We Lost the Skyline............

tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 11:11

Not liking it, doesn't mean you don't know it.

You can't write reviews about albums you don't know, but if you know an album your sufficiently knowledgable to write a review about it.

Reviews aren't written for people who already have the album, they don't need a review. Reviews are written for people who don't have the album, or don't know the band. All information (positive and negative) can be helpfull in providing insight in the bands music.

I think I'm knowledgable enough to write about bands from genres that i don't like. The fact that I don't like a genre implies that I know the genre good enough to make that assessment.

Metropolis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 11:18
Thats fair enough, as long as the reviewer backs up his opinions and explains what it is he doesnt like about the album, but things like (as mentioned earlier) "I don't like prog-metal therefore this is rubbish" are not useful comments as it doesnt really say anything about the music other than it belongs to a particular genre, but you will already know that before reading the review as it is listed under the band name.
We Lost the Skyline............

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 11:21

I think I'm knowledgable enough to write about bands from genres that i don't like. The fact that I don't like a genre implies that I know the genre good enough to make that assessment.

I don't doubt that you are capable of writing good reviews about genres which you don't like. Many others aren't ... for various reasons, only one of which is that they don't like the genre. I've read a review on Into The Electric Castle on amazon.de where a guy complained about the poor quality of the vocals ... I'd prefer any qualified yet biased review over plain incompetence  

greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 12:33

[QUOTE=tuxon]

So am I!

My personal favorite negative review is this one, because it EXACTLY describes how this record sounds like! Cannot be more informative than that!

NEU! Neu! 2
Review by greenback @ 8:36:51 PM EST, 4/11/2004

PROG REVIEWER

0 stars  —  NEU! = NOISE

Imagine: you record a basic dull & marginal song with minimal guitars and drums, and then you record it at 78 RPM, then 16 RPM, and make an album with that!! Why the hype for that? I can't believe I am the only one to give it the lowest possible rating! Take a dull rhythmic LP of your collection, place it on your turntable, play it without the electrical motor traction: spin fast the vinyl with your finger while listening it! Repeat the same procedure with a VERY slow finger motion! This describes the best how this record sounds!

[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 15:02

Originally posted by lostrom lostrom wrote:

I rather have information than opinions in a review! Opinions are for those who wants to shine themselfs when writing, information is for those who puts the reader first!

How can we respond to art without involving opinion?Confused

"This painting is 6' by 8.' It was done with oils, on canvas. There is a preponderance of blue and red. The subject is a vase of mixed flowers. The artist was 42 when he painted it. He lived in Paris."

Rivetting!Pinch

Or: "The band has four members. They are named Peter, Paul, Steve and Bob, and they play guitars, bass, drums and keyboards, respectively. The CD has a photo of a red car on the cover. The usual time signature is 4/4."

Gripping, and so... informative! Dead

As soon as I tell you who they "sound like," or attempt to categorize the music, or even tell you if I like it, I am veering into the verboten opinion territory.Ermm

Art appeals (mainly) to the emotions, not the intellect, and each of us responds in our unique way, based upon all the factors that make one an individual.Stern Smile

That's MY opinion....Wink

Whoops -- sorry!Embarrassed

Edited by Peter
He chortled in his joy.
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 15:05

Opinions can be interesting, too. I'd say that I don't want emotions in a review ... at least not if emotions are the basis/motive for writing the review. The motivation should always be to help to reader, to increase their knowledge about the item reviewed.

Yes, God forbid that we should respond to art with emotions! Let's have machines make it and rate it!

See "Art of the Third Reich...." Confused

Sorry -- got a trifle emotional there.Wink

He chortled in his joy.
Deadwing12 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 17:16
Of course every (or most every) review will contain someone's opinions, whether you like them or not. It is, after all, what YOU think about the record...if someone has similiar tastes, then you've done your job. However, I agree with the difficulty of reviewing an album of a genre you dislike. It's like being a non-metal fan and buying the new Dream Theater album and saying "I told you so, see! it's loud, and fast, and techincal-ick! I hate it!"

There will always be a certain level of subjectiveness in any review, it happens, but I see no problem as long as the reviewer doesn't lash out at all that likes a certain type of music, or lash out at the band because they don't like the style. Bad reviews are just as important as good ones, but both can be rather distasteful. If you really LOVE Genesis and believe they can do no wrong and give We Can't Dance 5 stars and lash out at those for not going along with Genesis' ideals, that does nobody any good.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>