Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedA Classic Poll: The Simpsons VS Family Guy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Which TV series do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
31 [67.39%]
15 [32.61%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2008 at 13:54
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Vulgarity is more of a selling point for me.  I have a soft spot for Matt Groening's work as I started out reading his Life In Hell cartoons since the '80's.  I kind of dismissed the Family Guy at first, but now that I've seen a few episodes, I like it.  I don't generally go out of my way to watch either, but certainly will if there isn't anything else on I want to watch better.  For me da bomb these days for a family cartoon series is the Boondocks. Big smile
I used to watch South Park religulously at the beginning.  I still check in on that from time to time.

Yeah! Best show currently running.

New theory: People from Argentina love Family Guy because they haven't shown the crappy recent seasons yet, only the old ones from back when the show was good. Wink
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2008 at 18:08
^what's wrong with that? I don't categorise these type of TV series for each season, since they don't have a sequence. So to me Family Guy is the whole program, not making divisions with seasons.
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2008 at 02:07
Originally posted by crimson87 crimson87 wrote:

Family guy by far , they weird situations are exellent. There is one episode in which Chester , the tiger from Lays is listening to Tom Sawyer while getting high and he says: Whoa! Neil Peart is the best drummer ever!!

You don't get that stuff in the Simpsons.

Instead The Simpsons gets much better jokes, references and guests like the Moody Blues.

"Mr. Simpson, I'm familiar with B.O.C!"

Honestly, I feel like Simpsons and FG are in a Seinfeld/Banya relation.  Some people love the jokes like "puke". Others don't.  Puke certainly is a funny word, but saying puke over and over and over again, or showing it, or making some poorly thought outside story based on it time and time again gets very old very fast.  

moreitsythanyou View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2008 at 06:39
Originally posted by cacho cacho wrote:

^what's wrong with that? I don't categorise these type of TV series for each season, since they don't have a sequence. So to me Family Guy is the whole program, not making divisions with seasons.

The thing about Family Guy is that after it's major cancellation, when it returned the quality started out the same and dropped really fast.
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2008 at 07:09
Although I'll always have a soft spot for The Simpsons, there's just something about Family Guy which gets me every time - I can almost guarantee if I watch any eposode, at some point I'll either fall over laughing, or sit there with my mouth open saying "they can't say that!"

Having said that, yes, some of the humour in Family Guy tends to be more overtly sexual, but I don't think they're ever overly gratuitous (the episode on censorship to my mind was a modern classic).

Mind you, what do I know - I still love old carry-on movies...

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2008 at 21:43
I like the Simpsons a little more, though Family Guy is funnier...

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2008 at 01:28
Originally posted by BroSpence BroSpence wrote:

Originally posted by crimson87 crimson87 wrote:

Family guy by far , they weird situations are exellent. There is one episode in which Chester , the tiger from Lays is listening to Tom Sawyer while getting high and he says: Whoa! Neil Peart is the best drummer ever!!

You don't get that stuff in the Simpsons.

Instead The Simpsons gets much better jokes, references and guests like the Moody Blues.

"Mr. Simpson, I'm familiar with B.O.C!"

Honestly, I feel like Simpsons and FG are in a Seinfeld/Banya relation.  Some people love the jokes like "puke". Others don't.  Puke certainly is a funny word, but saying puke over and over and over again, or showing it, or making some poorly thought outside story based on it time and time again gets very old very fast.  

LOLLOLLOL
LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2008 at 20:38
If we talk about the current Simpsons, then Family Guy has the edge... if we take the Simpsons in their (already) 20 years... then they win hands down
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2008 at 20:39
Originally posted by moreitsythanyou moreitsythanyou wrote:

Vulgarity is more of a selling point for me.  I have a soft spot for Matt Groening's work as I started out reading his Life In Hell cartoons since the '80's.  I kind of dismissed the Family Guy at first, but now that I've seen a few episodes, I like it.  I don't generally go out of my way to watch either, but certainly will if there isn't anything else on I want to watch better.  For me da bomb these days for a family cartoon series is the Boondocks. Big smile
I used to watch South Park religulously at the beginning.  I still check in on that from time to time.

New theory: People from Argentina love Family Guy because they haven't shown the crappy recent seasons yet, only the old ones from back when the show was good. Wink

No, we actually have seen those seasons, thank you very much.
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
1800iareyay View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2008 at 22:01
Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

If we talk about the current Simpsons, then Family Guy has the edge... if we take the Simpsons in their (already) 20 years... then they win hands down

False. Even washed up, aimless Simpsons is better than cheap Simpsons plagiarism.

I used to think Family Guy was the funniest show ever. Then I turned 15.

I used to think the Simpsons was great. Then I turned 18, and started watching movies and reading the news. Then The Simpsons got even funnier.

Advantage: Simpsons

Seriously though, I tried to go back through my box sets of the pre-cancellation FG. It's truly no better than what's on now, we all just got older/got sick of the same goddamn joke. I could barely sit through it and just kept up because...well, I'm anal. It's sexist, irrelevant, desperate, and plays up stereotypes for cheap laughs instead of satircal ones.

But I went back to The Simpsons S3-8, and it's a five year run of pure prefection. Not a single other show can boast that. Arrested Development never had a weak episode in its run, but it had one full length season, one trimmed, and one half season. And that one came the closest in sitcom territory. The Wire comes the closest overall.
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2008 at 17:08
Simpsons did it all first, you you can't very well argue that Family Guy is more original, so it really comes down to personal preferance.

Family may rehash alot of Simpson-isms, but when Simpson did them, I never laughed. Family Guy did it again, and I still laughed! LOL Seth MacFarlane is just a naturally talented comedy/writer.

Simpsons wins in originality, but Family Guy gets my vote when it comes to the laughs. Cool
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2008 at 17:17
Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

Originally posted by moreitsythanyou moreitsythanyou wrote:

No, we actually have seen those seasons, thank you very much.

ClapBig smile
Big smile
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2008 at 17:19
Originally posted by p0mt3 p0mt3 wrote:

Simpsons did it all first, you you can't very well argue that Family Guy is more original, so it really comes down to personal preferance.

Family may rehash alot of Simpson-isms, but when Simpson did them, I never laughed. Family Guy did it again, and I still laughed! LOL Seth MacFarlane is just a naturally talented comedy/writer.

Simpsons wins in originality, but Family Guy gets my vote when it comes to the laughs. Cool

Clappies for excellent post and explanation!ClapClap Even if you have voted for The Simpsons, the first 2 paragraphs make the clappies.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2008 at 17:22
Originally posted by progrocker2244 progrocker2244 wrote:

I like the Simpsons a little more, though Family Guy is funnier...

Another post which I admire from this thread. I don't see The Simpsons anymore, but I'm sure I prefer the story-line of chapters of The Simpsons than the ones from Family Guy, but Family Guy, as you said, is funnier, and laughter is what makes my decision on preference in this case.
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2008 at 17:34
Erk.

The Simpsons were a bit cleverer in most cases. Family Guy was funny when it was funny, but also frequently not very funny. Vote for The Simpsons, narrowly.
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2008 at 17:46
Originally posted by cacho cacho wrote:

Clappies for excellent post and explanation!ClapClap Even if you have voted for The Simpsons, the first 2 paragraphs make the clappies.

Yeah, I just think that both shows desevre equal praise, but for accomplishing different things. Simpsons was the pioneer, and many live-action and animated sitcoms have followed in its footsteps since the inception, but Family Guy was the first 'imitator' that really took that basic formula to new heights when it came to the jokes themselves.

Of course you'll hear the rumours that MacFarlane and Groening are enemies and whatnot. It's all just propoganda fueled by angry fanboys of one show or the other. The truth is that Groening and MacFarlane love each other's work and have mutual respect for what the other one is doing.

Personally, though, I think it;s time for The Simpsons to retire. The show's creators have been successful way longer than seems humanly possible. Very unusual, especially in this day and age.

In terms of comedy, I prefer FG over The Simpsons, but when it comes to the two creator's other works, Futurama wins by a mile over American Dad.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2008 at 18:00
^I haven't watched too much American Dad, while Futurama I loved way back when I was 8 or 7.
1800iareyay View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2008 at 18:07
Futurama is the most underrated show of the last ten years. It's one of a handful of shows that have no weak episodes (and half of those are short-lived British shows like The Office and Spaced). At least it was until it came back with this multi episode movies that suck beyond reason. Both The Simpsons and Futurama are leagues ahead of any other animated show ever (including South Park, which comes third).'

So it's OK to steal your ideas provided you just make them louder and therefore, in the public ADD-riddled zeitgeist, "funnier?"

You must love Dane Cook.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2008 at 18:11
^it's not really 'steal' ideas, it's take some ideas for the main structure of the program and then make it to your wish. Everyone has done this in all kind of arts. It would be 'steal' ideas like those bands that are here called 'clones', though I don't consider them the ones I know.
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2008 at 18:19
^um . . . yeah, what he said.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>