FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Death of Nu-Metal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2008 at 21:35
Originally posted by ~Rael~ ~Rael~ wrote:

From what I can tell, nu-metal is dead, or at least dying. While som of it was midlly enjoyable, I am glad this chapter of musical history is finally coming to a close.

I think it's been a while now.  It seems most recent releases have pretty much gone under the radar. It reminds me of 80's hair metal bands in the early 90's...

Death and the Maiden - A Metal Tribute To String Quartets

Website
Myspace
~Rael~ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2008 at 23:51
Originally posted by p0mt3 p0mt3 wrote:

When was Slipknot or Mudvayne ever Nu-Metal? What aspects of their music were at all hip-hop-inspired?

They both incorporated some hip-hop influences in a few of thier songs. I never thought that to be nu-metal, it had to have hip-hop influences. I just thought nu-metal had loud crashing chords, a simple beat, and really not a whole lot of musicianship.

Okay, well . . . even if that IS the case, I ask again . . .

When were Slipknot or Mudvayne ever Nu-Metal? What aspects of their music were at all mediocre in musicianship?

Mudvayne has alot of Mathrock in their playing, and Slipknot to my ears have always played impressive music guitar-wise.

I could be wrong. Niether of them are my favorite bands, so . . .

Mudvayne was by far mediocre in their guitar work, but the bass and drums were/are excellent. On Slipknot's first album, the only notable musicianship I hear is the drumming, though they have improved in every aspect since then. And while I agree Mudvayne slips in a lot of interesting time signatures, I wouldn't go so far as to say it is mathrock.

I really never lumped Mudvayne or Slipknot into the nu-metal group, but it is undeniable that they were generally seen as members of the genre. They were above the average nu-metal bands, but they still had that driving, somewhat non-melodic sound. I would also like to use the bands', slipknot's in particular, later releases as examples of thier growth out of the nu-metal genre.

I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress . . .
mithrandir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2008 at 01:42

I wonder if there will ever be a Nu-Metal revival, like retro-Nu-Metal or something like that,
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2008 at 01:47
Apparently Axl forgot about Nu-Metal no longer being fashionable. 
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2008 at 06:26
Nu Metal never really entirely died, but obviously it fell from the mainstream a few years ago and as a result, it's perceived to be dead by many people.
In terms of musicianship, many of the nu metal bands had better players than many people realize.
Wes Borland, formerly of Limb Bizkit, actually used some rather complex chord voicings (compared to just smashing around using root 5 chords) in his playing, and is actually really really good at the two handed tapping technique.

Mick Thomson, as many may or may not be aware, was a guitar teacher for a while and interviews with him shows he has a good grounding in music theory, and as much as I don't like Slipknot that much (I think their latest album is not terrible though, if nothing special), he has amazing rhythm guitar technique and can play 6 string sweep picked arpeggios way better than I can play 5 string arpeggios.

Mudvayne, to be honest, I've never really heard.

Linkin Park, well I wont lie, I think they had some cool songs on Hybrid Theory and I still do think they are cool songsEmbarrassed but never liked anything else from them really.

Korn, I used to really like, but I tried listening to them again recently, and I honestly can't stand listening to it anymore.
The only songs I can sit through are Blind and Helmet In The Bush from their debut album.
And I can't deny both Munky and Head made some cool noises with their guitars that you don't notice unless you listen real closely and they had this cool interplay thing going on too.
Both good rhythm guitarists (if not spectacular) and I've seen youtube vids of them demonstrating some lead guitar. They aren't virtuosos, but their level of musicianship is much better than that of a bunch of a hacks in a garage pop punk band.
The drumming isn't bad either.

Coal Chamber, one of the earlier nu metal bands, I never cared for, very boring to my ears, never could like them.

Papa Roach, had some okay riffs on some songs, but otherwise, not for me.

P.O.D, I'll pass.
Same for SOAD, don't like them.

Probably some other bands I know but can't think of right now that I don't like in nu metal either.

Deftones, to this day, remains pretty much the only nu metal band I can listen to regularly, and a very creative band they were and still are too IMO.
I love the atmospheric feel they can bring to their music other nu metal bands never had.
They are proof nu metal hasn't died entirely, as they still remain relatively popular in metal circles, although their only pure nu metal work was their debut, and everything since then was to some extent, mixed up with experimental aspects, but their music always had enough of a nu metal sound to it to call it nu metal.

Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2008 at 07:17
Originally posted by mithrandir mithrandir wrote:

I wonder if there will ever be a Nu-Metal revival, like retro-Nu-Metal or something like that,

In this post-modern world anything seems to be possible... Tongue

-

I never really listened to Nu-metal. The little I heard I didn't like. Back when it was popular I was only interested in 60's pop and I consciously avoided all mainstream music of later date. Some years later, I did however begin to appreciate System of a Down's two first albums, an opinion I still stand by. Good musicianship and songwriting.
Zarec View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2008 at 10:31
Here's how I see things. Nu-metal didn't have an "organic" evolution as a genre because as soon as Korn released their debut album the record labels started making pressure on bands to play nu-metal. Unfortunately, not everyone had the talent required for such a style. Nu-metal can be rather lame if you don't have a highly technical drummer or vocal whereas the instruments, 7 string guitars are recommended and so on. That's how groups like Limp Bizkit, Drowning Pool or Mushroomhead emerged and thought that by rapping a little and by adding some unoriginal thick guitar riffs they would make good music. WRONG. Because of the hype, many bands brought profit for the record labels but once emo came along all of them were simply forgotten.

Nu-metal is in my opinion a less avantgarde experimental metal, if I may express myself this way. If we  take a look at the way conventional metal and hardcore were played in 1994 we will see that playing the bass in a jazzy style and the guitar in a very distorted way was very uncommon. Mr Bungle had a great influence on the few good nu-metal bands (Korn and Slipknot) and Red Hot Chili Peppers as well. Nu-metal, in order to sound well and not boring is generally influenced by funk.

Slipknot is probably the only record label product band that had a true artistic value. It's a long story behind the band, the demo album released in 1996 was highly experimental, a Mr Bungle only more hardcore and the self titled album was a remake of the demo with an even more extreme approach. I honestly believe Slipknot were asked to play nu-metal in an extreme manner because Roudrunner had been dumped by Mushroomhead and the record label did nothing but to take Slipknot and transform them into what Mushroomhead had already been. The good part is that Slipknot are far better musicians and as for the part with the masks, well, I don't care if the idea was taken from Mushroomhead or not.

Musically, Slipknot was the new level of nu-metal. Thick but fast, focused more in guitar rather bass more cacophonic than any metal band before them and with a great amount of industrial.

Then came Linkin Park and , ultimately, the end. Linkin Park weren't inspiring enough, except the Dj all the musicians weer (and are) lame and limited and there was nothing to follow.

It's sad that, besides Korn and Slipknot, good nu-metal albums were released by bands that had been in the music scene before 1994 like Sepultura, Slayer and M E S H U G G A H. But as I said in the beginning, the record label's hunger fro money is the reason why there so few good nu-metal bands.

burritounit View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2008 at 10:55
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Originally posted by crimson87 crimson87 wrote:

Here in Argentina we have a sort of music called Regueton. It's makes Fred Durst sound like Richard Sinclair more or less

Reggaeton makes nu-metal sound like Johann Sebastian Bach actually....

LOL

Well Reggueton is pretty much were I come from I suppose and that stuff is everywhere I tell ya. Everyone listens to this stuff. It's on tv, radio, adds, everywhere possible. Even politicians use this kind of "music". Ohh well I guess I got deal with it.Cry

As for Nu Metal...well I kind of like some of it. But some of them are terrible.

Edited by burritounit - December 27 2008 at 10:56
"I've walked on water, run through fire, can't seem to feel it anymore. It was me, waiting for me..."
mithrandir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2008 at 11:28
a lot of that Funk Metal/Thrash was a big influence on Nu-Metal sort of a precursor to the genre, anyone remember bands like Mordred, Infectious Grooves, Scatterbrain, Mindfunk, 24-7 Spies, Prong to a certain extent, also a lot of that breakdown/groovy Hardcore stuff like Madball, Sick of it All, Cromags, Undertow, Inside Out (features Zack de la Rocha pre-Rage Against The Machine)

darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2008 at 12:29
Originally posted by Philéas Philéas wrote:

Originally posted by mithrandir mithrandir wrote:

In this post-modern world anything seems to be possible... Tongue

-

I never really listened to Nu-metal. The little I heard I didn't like. Back when it was popular I was only interested in 60's pop and I consciously avoided all mainstream music of later date. Some years later, I did however begin to appreciate System of a Down's two first albums, an opinion I still stand by. Good musicianship and songwriting.

I love SOAD. They are (were?) the most interesting modern commercial band to come out in the last 10 years IMO. all their albums are fabulous.

btw i think it's time for a new genre to come out. Post-Music
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2008 at 14:01
Originally posted by Zarec Zarec wrote:

Nu-metal didn't have an "organic" evolution as a genre because as soon as Korn released their debut album the record labels started making pressure on bands to play nu-metal.

I think that pretty much sums up everything that has happened in the music industry since the NWOBHM/NWOBAHM era - including grunge. The money machines making up new fashionable styles and genres to promote, and abusing well-intending musicians as a tool to do it.
One of the reasons I never really took into account nu-metal as something I would be interested in, although the bag pipes (Korn) were fun at Dynamo Open Air some years ago....

ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
spookytooth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2008 at 14:58
I'm so glad Nu-Metal is over. I even hated it when I was little, and I still hate it. The late 90's (the height of nu-metal's popularity) was, as I remember, a dark age for music, with Nu-Metal being the king (or prince, maybe post-grunge was king) of that dark age.

To celebrate this glorious occasion, I shall take out my Roy Orbison's All Time Greatest Hits compilation and play the song "It's Over" and celebrate until I realize that metalcore is now the popular metal genre, and in some ways it's worse than Nu-Metal. Oh well, maybe in a few years, I'll celebrate metalcore's demise in the same manner Tongue...

OK, I'll admit that I like Korn's first album, but that's really it...

Would you like some Bailey's?
SgtPepper67 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2008 at 22:25

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Originally posted by crimson87 crimson87 wrote:

Here in Argentina we have a sort of music called Regueton. It's makes Fred Durst sound like Richard Sinclair more or less

Reggaeton makes nu-metal sound like Johann Sebastian Bach actually....

ROFLLOL

LOL It sounds funny, but it's actually very sad! Anyway, I think people in the US listen to that crap too, so it's not just argentinian people who are that stupid. I can't really understand how could anyone appreciate that "music" or whatever it is, I think it's even worst than cumbia villera!

In the end the love you take is equal to the love you made...
topofsm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2008 at 22:30
SOAD never sounded like nu-metal. Alternative metal, to tell the truth. I've always found their music the absolute cream of the mainstream hard rock crop, and they are great musicians.

IMO

Edited by topofsm - December 27 2008 at 22:30

~Rael~ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2008 at 00:34
I have heard people refer to "metalcore" many time, but what exactly is metalcore? Because I really have no idea.
I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress . . .
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2008 at 00:41
Originally posted by BroSpence BroSpence wrote:

Apparently Axl forgot about Nu-Metal no longer being fashionable. 

Well, when a guy takes two decades to get an album made, I doubt he would be willing to go back and update the music, 'cause then it would have taken another twenty years, and the music would sound dated yet again. :-P

I haven heard Chinese Democracy yet personally, and personally, the guy's a douchebag, I don't care how well he sings. I'm in no hurry to support him at all with my money. If I ever do get around to hearing the thing, I will probably dig a few songs, then never listen to the bulk of the material again. This has become my usual routine these days with typical straightforward music.
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2008 at 00:52

Originally posted by HughesJB4 HughesJB4 wrote:

Nu Metal never really entirely died, but obviously it fell from the mainstream a few years ago and as a result, it's perceived to be dead by many people.
In terms of musicianship, many of the nu metal bands had better players than many people realize.
Wes Borland, formerly of Limb Bizkit, actually used some rather complex chord voicings (compared to just smashing around using root 5 chords) in his playing, and is actually really really good at the two handed tapping technique.

Mick Thomson, as many may or may not be aware, was a guitar teacher for a while and interviews with him shows he has a good grounding in music theory, and as much as I don't like Slipknot that much (I think their latest album is not terrible though, if nothing special), he has amazing rhythm guitar technique and can play 6 string sweep picked arpeggios way better than I can play 5 string arpeggios.

Mudvayne, to be honest, I've never really heard.

Linkin Park, well I wont lie, I think they had some cool songs on Hybrid Theory and I still do think they are cool songsEmbarrassed but never liked anything else from them really.

Korn, I used to really like, but I tried listening to them again recently, and I honestly can't stand listening to it anymore.
The only songs I can sit through are Blind and Helmet In The Bush from their debut album.
And I can't deny both Munky and Head made some cool noises with their guitars that you don't notice unless you listen real closely and they had this cool interplay thing going on too.
Both good rhythm guitarists (if not spectacular) and I've seen youtube vids of them demonstrating some lead guitar. They aren't virtuosos, but their level of musicianship is much better than that of a bunch of a hacks in a garage pop punk band.
The drumming isn't bad either.

Coal Chamber, one of the earlier nu metal bands, I never cared for, very boring to my ears, never could like them.

Papa Roach, had some okay riffs on some songs, but otherwise, not for me.

P.O.D, I'll pass.
Same for SOAD, don't like them.

Probably some other bands I know but can't think of right now that I don't like in nu metal either.

Deftones, to this day, remains pretty much the only nu metal band I can listen to regularly, and a very creative band they were and still are too IMO.
I love the atmospheric feel they can bring to their music other nu metal bands never had.
They are proof nu metal hasn't died entirely, as they still remain relatively popular in metal circles, although their only pure nu metal work was their debut, and everything since then was to some extent, mixed up with experimental aspects, but their music always had enough of a nu metal sound to it to call it nu metal.

Either you simply forgot to mention Disturbed, or you intentionally left them out/. If it's the latter, then I'm assuming that means you don't consider them Nu-Metal.

If that is the case, I am with you on that one. If not, well, then I'll explain why I never found Disturbed to be a Nu-Metal band:

David Draiman is one of the best singers alive today. He has great range and an all-around beautiful voice. Pretty decent songwriter too, though he has a habit of using the two word combo of "To me" way too many times in his lyrics.

Dan Donegan. Virtuoso as far as I am concerned. He never really showed off his playing style on the first two records, but the most recent two albums are full of interesting and technically impressive guitar work. And I know I will be crucified for this, but I would take Donegan's "Overburdened" solo over anything Petrucci did post-SfaM any day.

Their Drummer Mike Wendgren is phenominal. Not as technically adept as one might think a mdetal drummer should be, but he's solid, and very creative from what I can hear.

They've rotated bass players over thbe course of their career, so I can't really judge this new guy yet.

Besides, listening to their music reminds me much more of Maiden or Priest than Limp Bizkit. Know what I mean? These guys are clearly influenced by the classic rock/metal guys, and the music is very rich and alive because of it. That's my opinion, anyway.

As for Slipknot. As I say, I've never understood the connection between their fast speed-playing and the downtuned, groove-driven power chord beats of Nu-Metal. Same thing with Killswitch Engage. Bands like these get alot of hell from many music fans, and I wonder: is all of it really deserved? Why, just because these bands were grouped in with crap like Limp Bizkit and the like?
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2008 at 00:54

I have heard people refer to "metalcore" many time, but what exactly is metalcore? Because I really have no idea.

Bands like Atreyu, Killswitch Engage, As I Lay Dying, etc.

Basically hardcore metal music meets hardcore punk music. Think Lamb of God, but with melodic vocals and more punk-ish breakdowns taking prominent roles.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2008 at 08:22

Bands like Atreyu, Killswitch Engage, As I Lay Dying, etc.

Basically hardcore metal music meets hardcore punk music. Think Lamb of God, but with melodic vocals and more punk-ish breakdowns taking prominent roles.

To be specific, 1990s/2000s metal meets 1990s/2000s hardcore punk. 1980s metal meets 1980s hardcore punk resulted in thrash. Tongue
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
~Rael~ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2008 at 15:05
First, Axl Rose is a good singer? I never thought of him that way, lol. I like Welcome to the Jungle, but the rest of their stuff is crap, imo.

And, I wouldn't group Disturbed into nu-metal either, but I really can't stand them. I enjoyed thier first album for a while, but ever since everything I hear from them sounds exactly the same. And while he is a good singer, I can't stand his arrogant stage persona. Reminds me of the way 80s hair metal bands acted.

And, if Killswitch is metalcore, I guess I am a fan, because I really like them, and any band that combines metal screaming with melodic singing. How can this genre be seen as worse than nu-metal? I guess if you are against change in music in any way, I can understand.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>