Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedVisitor 2035

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Visitor 2035
    Posted: December 26 2008 at 18:01
I have trawled the internet, but to no avail. and i'm not even sure that i should be asking this question on this site, but here goes.

Does anyone in the living world know anything about a one album band called Visitor 2035? Apparently they are German? and they released thier only album on Ariola Hansa in 1978 (AHAL 8003).

Band members are Craig Preuss (keyboards piano and trumpet), Ray Deefholts (Guitars), Peter Stroud (Bass), and Nigel Robinson (Drums and percussion)

This is a favourite album of mine combining may different music structures including synth, funk and a wee bit jazz. I have seen it called prog/psych and other weird things. Anyone out there able to help?????

Edited by visitor2035 - December 26 2008 at 18:36
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2008 at 18:27

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2008 at 18:32
They have an entry on ProgGnosis too, but there is no information on the actual band - only on their album. Hopefully some further details will surface soon.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2008 at 18:37
Well, we can get the CD from Greg Walker, aka The Magic Man!

VISITOR 2035 - Hot instrumental jazz rock & fusion from 1977SAME (JAPANESE POOR HOUSE MINI LP SLEEVE) $20

My question: This Poor House label "feels" like one that may not be legit......am I wrong?   Does anyone know about the label. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2008 at 18:41
1976 Cain: A Modern Mystery Play  

rate
1978 Visitor 2035 25 707 OT 

Edited by Finnforest - December 26 2008 at 18:43

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2008 at 18:45

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2008 at 18:47
That in turn made me think of another jazz-rock outfit from the same time, Visitor 2035. Visitor 2035 were more Weather Report than anything else though, they didn’t care whether punk had happened or not. They probably didn’t even know of it’s existence. This is busy, busy music: sound & fury layered over fluid fretless bass and relentless, exhausting drumming which doesn’t know when to stop. It’s of another time really, simply ended up being released in 1979, so I put it aside.  [rupert loydal] blog

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2008 at 18:50
http://www.deeplyvale.com/memories.htm

Here's a blog where the first guy has a story about them, and big fat jointsLOL

Scroll down, there may be other blurbs about them.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2008 at 21:53
Well, based on what I've heard there, I would say this topic should be moved to "suggest new artists."  I would think this band should find a home with someone. 

Any takers?

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2008 at 18:07
A member asked about this band in the "Query" section.  I did some digging and posted what I could find in that thread.  They appear to be a '70s one-shot or two-shot that I believe may be of interest to one of our Subs.  Sort of spacey/jazzy keyboard stuff a little like Pulsar but not exactly.  Greg Walker describes them as "Hot instrumental jazz rock & fusion" on his website, the album is available there.

Anyway, I'm throwing it out there in case a team wants to have a crack at them.  If not, no harm done. 

Here's their music for anyone who wants to hear. 

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=412131200

Misc Information:
Release Date: 1978

Tracks

Track Title iTunes Composers Performers Time
Don Genardo's Waltz

Visitor 2035
At the Gates of Consciousness

Visitor 2035
Toefunk

Visitor 2035
Celestial Dream Song

Visitor 2035
Centre of the Winds

Visitor 2035
Cassiopeia

Visitor 2035
Contemplation

Visitor 2035

Credits

Visitor 2035 (Main Performer), Ray Deefholts (Guitar), Craig Pruess (Trumpet), Craig Pruess (Keyboards), Craig Pruess (Vocals (Background)), Nigel Robinson (Percussion), Nigel Robinson (Drums), Peter Stroud (Bass)

Edited by Finnforest - December 27 2008 at 18:23

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2008 at 18:24
I moved this band to "suggest new artists" for some Sub to scoop up.  They quite likely belong at the site.  

Justbeforedawn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2010 at 17:21
Visitor 2035 hail from the unlikely town of Horsham in west Sussex. I knew them a little in 1975-77 just out of school when they were recording and gigging the south coast iniversities, supporting Arthur brown in sourhtpton (nobody came, wrong date on posters, literally one man and his dog turned up) - I was lucky to roadie/lighting a bit for them at these and London gigs (ronnie scotts). Lovelly people, introduced me to weather report etc, heavy weather was often being played, I recall. They often went out with 'acidica lughts' a Brighton based projection crew with a long plank full of 8mm/16mm projectors - very effective. Good times.   
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2010 at 17:33
Hey thanks for sharing a story about them.  I'm still hoping someone will come and scoop them up.  It was a long time ago since I listened but I thought they were pretty good.  Smile

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2010 at 06:07
Wow this is an old one. I'll check asap Thumbs Up
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2010 at 08:17
Nice band! They've got lots of stuff that define what's best in classic prog: jazzy interplay, spacey synth washes, quirky sounds, etc. There is a strong fusion component, but I think the variety screams "Eclectic". The music reminds me a lot of S.B.B. and their album "Follow My Dream"... and this is not without implications because some time ago S.B.B. were (rightfully so) moved from Fusion to Eclectic. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2010 at 14:41

Bravo Alex, thanks for taking care of thisClap

eventuality23 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2010 at 08:54
yo helped the band out gettin gigs permits etc 1975/6 band based in Britain Horsham at the time American craig keyboards/trumpet/12string english drummer nigel    ray indian guitarist was joe bass and english singer cris gonning anyhoo did lot of pub /festival / university gigs at the time that were real happenings !!!
cooltunes View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2012 at 08:34
Yes I know a few things about this band as I was a roadie for them for a few gigs circa 1974/5 and particularly remember a gig at Christ's hospital school, which was a local gig for them and another gig we did in Worthing.

A long time ago so my memory not great on the details. I was very pleased when I learned how to put the whole keyboard rig together as it was quite an involved setup.  A musician myself who played on bands in Brighton at the time, the main one being a band called Madhatter, I was very impressed with their technical abilities.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2012 at 08:51
They were actually added to the site in Eclectic: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=5935.
LauraS View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2012 at 12:55
Hi all

I know this discussion started back in 2008, but I used to hang with this band as I was dating Joe Dudziak approx. 74 or 75 - he played bass on all songs and I don't remember another bass player at all?   Whatever, the band used to rehearse in a house at Broadbridge Heath (Nr Horsham) and the first gig I went to with Joe was in Brighton (a rough old church hall) and I gave out flyers outside to try and attract an audience - he and his roadie picked me up in an old van and I sat on his lap for the journey.  It was said that a record company was showing up that night,, but I don't think they did.  After that I attending a couple of others (as already mentioned) Christs Hospital Show and Worthing.  I heard Joe got some gigs at Ronnie Scotts and I party'd with Nigel a few times after Joe and I stopped dating.  I have a cassette tape still in my possession which was their first recording and Joe played on it.  The record seems to be from the time after he left?  I've little more information as I then moved from the area.

http://www1.sk-static.com/images/media/img/col6/20100121-122627-628079.jpg

Picture of the band above - Joe Dudziak second from left and Nigel Robsinson third from left.  I may recall other names a bit later...........

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>