Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why Grobschnitt isn't consider the best band ever?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy Grobschnitt isn't consider the best band ever?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Poll Question: Which is the main reason why Grobschnitt isn't consider the best band?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [42.86%]
1 [14.29%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [14.29%]
2 [28.57%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2009 at 00:10
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

Because they have a silly name.

ahhh... that must be the answer hahaha  explains why no one considers any of the RPI groups in the 'best ever'.  I just thought it was just the usual pro-English prog bias.. but now that you mention it. It is hard to take bands that sound like dishes at the Olive Garden seriously I guess

LOL

mickleodeon... I don't mean to embarrass you publicly...but you've got some grobschnitt hanging from your nose....

And sorry to bring this up, but did I ever tell you what the name "vompatti" makes me think of? No? Shocked

Eat a hamburger patty. Regurgitate it. Now barbecue it again...Dead

Sorry, I know I'm sick, but every freakin' time I read that name, Vomitis old boy (can I call you Vommie?), I feel a wee bit queasy! Wink

PS: I LOVED your "awkward hands/hippy girl/aliens at the concert" story, Vommitty! LOL Tres funny! Clap

Edited by Peter - January 02 2009 at 00:12
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2009 at 09:29
how about anyone's daughter...they are one of my faves from Germany and they produced 4 great studio albums at a difficult time (1979-1982).  I also give Eloy a lot of credit for not selling out and being great until 1982 (Time to Turn).  I'm not as into krautrock per se, but Grobschnitt is one of many German bands I like, among them Pell Mell, Novalis, Ramses, Rousseau, Dice, Rebekka, Ougenweide, Hoelderlin, Amenophis, Carol of Harvest, Epidaurus, Jane, Minotaurus, Zomby Woof, Troya, P'Cock, 
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2009 at 09:50
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

And sorry to bring this up, but did I ever tell you what the name "vompatti" makes me think of? No? Shocked

LOL LOL LOL
Post of the year (so far).
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2009 at 10:27
Because most of us out here don't know Grobschnitt from Shinola.  I have to include myself there.

A little fan promotion never hurts, though.

Edited by Slartibartfast - January 02 2009 at 10:28
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2009 at 10:43
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

A little fan promotion never hurts, though.

Big smile We have many models to choose from, sir!

From the basic, affordable (and "green") time-honoured, hand-driven "acoustic" Oriental models:

To more elaborate, electrical Western versions:

Shocked Mind your fingers sir!

Seriously though, I don't do "best band in the world," but the fact that I've never heard Grobbschnitt might have something to do with my lack of an opinion (let alone lack of regard) for them.

will listen to some samples here, just to please the puzzled pollster, though!Smile

Edited by Peter - January 02 2009 at 10:44
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2009 at 12:52
I think Peter may have been partaking a little too much of my sense of humor. LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Grobsch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2009 at 15:55
"Seriously though, I don't do "best band in the world," but the fact that I've never heard Grobbschnitt might have something to do with my lack of an opinion (let alone lack of regard) for them."

I don't understand the humor... but I believe who says never heard before about Grobschnitt is joking...
Peter, you have a Nektar cover as avatar... how can you never heard before about Grobschnitt?? It's a joke??

As I said before, Grobschnitt is one of the best band ever...  Solar Music Live is a perfect album... If you - reader -  never heard before about Grobschnitt... hurry to find something to listen to... If you are a symphonic fan, starts with Rockpommel's Land.. if you are a space rock fan, starts with Symphony...

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2009 at 18:23
Hey now, I'm an old Nektar fan and I've still never heard of Grobshnitt until you brought it up.  Does sound like a band I should check out though.  Thanks for bringing them to my attention. 

I'm afraid someone else has brought Umphrey's McGee to my attention, and I think I'll be checking them out a little first. 

Look, there's more prog music out there than any one single human being can grasp, except for perhaps Sean Trane and Zowie Ziggie. LOL

Oooh, looks like they caught a case of commercialitis in the '80's.  Which album should I try first as a Nektar fan?

Edited by Slartibartfast - January 02 2009 at 18:26

Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2009 at 18:42
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

Sorry, I know I'm sick, but every freakin' time I read that name, Vomitis old boy (can I call you Vommie?), I feel a wee bit queasy! Wink

PS: I LOVED your "awkward hands/hippy girl/aliens at the concert" story, Vommitty! LOL Tres funny! Clap

I've never thought of this before, but now that you mentioned it... I wonder how many people here have vomited because of me? Shocked

Oh, and thanks for liking the story.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2009 at 18:45
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

I've never thought of this before, but now that you mentioned it... I wonder how many people here have vomited because of me? Shocked

Oh, and thanks for liking the story.

Well, I can't say you've made me vomit, it's just a good thing I wasn't gulping down a soda while I've been reading some of your posts.

Edited by Slartibartfast - January 02 2009 at 18:46

Grobsch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2009 at 03:21
"Oooh, looks like they caught a case of commercialitis in the '80's.  Which album should I try first as a Nektar fan?"

I like Nektar... a 'Tab in the Ocean' and 'Recycled' are my favorites... I think the best is start with the first album... Symphony is GREAT!! (http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=2864)...
I really do not know before start this post how little recognition Grobschnitt has... here in Brazil all my progressive friends - and even other people - just love the band... Solar Music Live plays in almost all reunion we do here...

Grobsch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2009 at 09:27
Solar Music Live is third  of the TOP Live Albums of All-Time here in PA only behind Made In Japan (Deep Purple) and Playing the Fool (Gentle Giant)... http://www.progarchives.com/top-prog-albums.asp?salbumtypes=4#list

Smile

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2009 at 15:55
I've got a good question for you, I think, who else do you listen to and like that isn't in the same vein as

Grobschnitt?

Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2009 at 16:22
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I've got a good question for you, I think, who else do you listen to and like that isn't in the same vein as

Grobschnitt?

Four years ago, even before I joined PA, I met an excited "Grobsch" in a PFM gig... Wink but going years before it, I remember "Grobsch" saying that Genesis were the most influential band in the prog scenario. Smile

EDIT: "Grobsch" = Flavio, also an engineer and a long time personal fellow which I found by chance here. Cool

Edited by Atkingani - January 03 2009 at 16:24
Guigo

~~~~~~
Dr. Occulator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2009 at 17:30
OMG I've been away from the PA site for a couple of weeks but I have to say upon my return this thread was one of the most entertaining ones I've read for some time.
It's so good to read all the warped senses of humor on this site.
So go Grobby Grobby Grobschnitt.
Why aren't they the best band ever? My answer: Because they aren't. hahahahhahaha Happy New Year to all.
My Doc Told Me I Have Doggie Head.
Grobsch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2009 at 05:44
" I've got a good question for you, I think, who else do you listen to and like that isn't in the same vein as Grobschnitt?"

I could say the R.I.O and Zeuhl bands like Magma, Samla Mammas Manna... but I like everything from progressive rock except those NeoPop bands and prog metal... I like a lot italian progressive... Banco, PFM and Le Orme are in my top ten... as Eloy, Genesis and Pink Floyd...

YESS!! Atkingani... that PFM show was GREAT!!

I prefer less vocal as possible and I believe there is no progressive without a good drummer... I don't like saxophone, trumpets and other instruments... I don't like bands with pop taste... I don't like Neo Progressive...

Grobschnitt, Genesis, Pink Floyd, PFM, Banco, Eloy and Le Orme are my top bands... but I listen to several experimental rock bands like Acid Mothers Temple and others... and I like Krautrock... so, I like more craziness than pop...

Smile

"OMG I've been away from the PA site for a couple of weeks but I have to say upon my return this thread was one of the most entertaining ones I've read for some time."

It's good some humor and at least more people have the change to meet (know) Grobschnitt here...
Smile

omri View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2009 at 12:14
Originally posted by Grobsch Grobsch wrote:

Grobschnitt isn't pure Krautrock... it mixes kraut, space rock, symphonic and experimental... They are less electronic and their shows are fantastic... I think Grobschnitt brought more to space rock than most of the bands because this mix of styles...

There are dozen bands in Germany with this style, a mix of Kraut and space, bands like Eloy, Wallenstein, Mythos, Novalis and others are as important as the Krautrock bands lile Amon Duul II...

rushfan4, The International Story is very nice, but the best Solar Music version still is Solar Music Live...

omri,
I like more the space rock bands from Germany but I like a lot Amon Duul II... Amon Duul II is for me the best pure Kraut band together with Faust, but between the pure Kraut like Faust and the space rock bands like Wallenstein, Grobschnitt and Eloy, I prefer the second time... they just fit better my music taste... I like more Pink Floyd than King Crimson, for example...

O.K. now I see the difference between us. I adore Pink floyd but King crimson is the band I love most. I can see  it also explains why I prefer ADII and Can and you prefer Eloy and Grobschnit (I must say the Eloy albums I have are realy great but still I love the former even more).
omri
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2009 at 14:07
Originally posted by Grobsch Grobsch wrote:

" I've got a good question for you, I think, who else do you listen to and like that isn't in the same vein as Grobschnitt?"

I could say the R.I.O and Zeuhl bands like Magma, Samla Mammas Manna... but I like everything from progressive rock except those NeoPop bands and prog metal... I like a lot italian progressive... Banco, PFM and Le Orme are in my top ten... as Eloy, Genesis and Pink Floyd...

YESS!! Atkingani... that PFM show was GREAT!!

I prefer less vocal as possible and I believe there is no progressive without a good drummer... I don't like saxophone, trumpets and other instruments... I don't like bands with pop taste... I don't like Neo Progressive...

Grobschnitt, Genesis, Pink Floyd, PFM, Banco, Eloy and Le Orme are my top bands... but I listen to several experimental rock bands like Acid Mothers Temple and others... and I like Krautrock... so, I like more craziness than pop...

Smile

"OMG I've been away from the PA site for a couple of weeks but I have to say upon my return this thread was one of the most entertaining ones I've read for some time."

It's good some humor and at least more people have the change to meet (know) Grobschnitt here...
Smile

Hmm, I am familiar with about half of those you mentioned.  The joy of discovery keeps me a prog fan. Big smile

Grobsch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2009 at 14:21
I like King Crimson, but I like much more Pink Floyd, Gentle Giant, Camel and Genesis... but I could like more KC if they didn't give a job to Mel Collins... It's impossible for me like Red... In my list of favorites bands you will find very few with saxophone... but KC and Grobschnitt has something in common, two fantastic drummers... Eroc and Bill Bruford...

K=°]

Edited by Grobsch - January 04 2009 at 14:25
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2009 at 14:51
Hey another question....Why can't I vote in this poll?

I'm sure i never voted here.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - January 04 2009 at 14:52

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>