Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Conor Fynes View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vh1's Top 100 Hard Rock Songs of All Time
    Posted: August 21 2009 at 03:54
Hmm... yuck.

We all have our own opinions.. It's silly for someone to make a definitive list.
topofsm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2009 at 19:30
Hmm, I've always thought that there's sort of a line between rock and metal, and the heavier you go on that line towards metal the harder your rock was. At about the halfway point, the rock turns into hard rock, and anything past that is hard rock. That includes grunge and metal, but not punk.

However some people don't associate metal with rock at all. But whatever floats your boat.

CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2009 at 16:13
Too much american for me. Not enough english or french bands.
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2009 at 15:42
Personally I don't trust wiki with music classification. I prefer sites like allmusic.com.

In my opinion, metal is more of a parallell genre of hard rock. Early on they were pretty much two words for the same stuff, but metal developed into something else that's very easy to distinguish from hard rock. Grunge, I'd say, is the subgenre of the hard rock. It sounds much more like hard rock than most metal does. 
AlbertMond View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2009 at 15:14
Originally posted by Philéas Philéas wrote:

Their definition of hard rock is also questionable. So Green Day are hard rock now, are they? The choice of song would be appropriate in the context, but the band itself isn't. There are many more examples of this type of "faulty inclusion" (for lack of a better term). They've thrown in too much punk and metal in the list, and that alone shatters its credibility, even if one doesn't go into detail looking at the choice of songs. The inclusion of punk and metal would have been acceptable if the people responsible strived to make a "100 greatest rock songs" list, however the title says they've been focusing specifically on the hard rock subgenre, rendering non-hard rock bands/songs inappropriate for inclusion.
Metal's a subgenre of Hard Rock. Supposedly Punk and Grunge aren't, though. I've actually read different opinions on whether or not they are... both coming from the Wiki article on Hard Rock. Guessing they're battling amongst themselves over it.
Promotion so blatant that it's sad:
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2009 at 13:48
Atrocious list. But I'm not really surprised (except maybe by my own reaction... I knew it would be this way so I shouldn't be upset).

It's mostly just a list of hits, which shows how little effort these people really put into the making of it. Yes, hits can be "genre defining" or whatever, but there are many, many choices that could have been omitted. If the authors actually bothered listening thoroughly to the albums the hits are on, instead of just looking at the videos in their archives, the list could have been much better. There's too much stuff in there that isn't particularly interesting, neither in terms of quality nor historical significance.

Their definition of hard rock is also questionable. So Green Day are hard rock now, are they? The choice of song would be appropriate in the context, but the band itself isn't. There are many more examples of this type of "faulty inclusion" (for lack of a better term). They've thrown in too much punk and metal in the list, and that alone shatters its credibility, even if one doesn't go into detail looking at the choice of songs. The inclusion of punk and metal would have been acceptable if the people responsible strived to make a "100 greatest rock songs" list, however the title says they've been focusing specifically on the hard rock subgenre, rendering non-hard rock bands/songs inappropriate for inclusion.

If allmusic or some decent paper did a list like this, it would probably be better. VH1 in general is not worth bothering with, much less any kind of "greatest" list they turn out.

[/rant]

Edited by Philéas - January 06 2009 at 13:51
omri View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2009 at 11:58
That what happens when you make lists !

I don't know all of them but those I know I would choose quite differently . For example :

Deep purple - April, Blind and Child in time are much better songs than SOTW IMO.
Alice Cooper - 18, Desperado, What have I got, Milion dollar babies and Nobody likes me I prefer on School's out.
Nirvana - I do think they are hard rock but I much prefer "Something un the way" or even Lithium.

I can go on like that forever. Just remember they are still much better than MTV.
omri
AlbertMond View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2009 at 09:04
Originally posted by manofmystery manofmystery wrote:

how come everyone seems to like Nirvana's version of More Than A Feeling better than Boston's? Wink

I think it sounds even more like BOC's Godzilla.
In fact:
Promotion so blatant that it's sad:
topofsm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2009 at 14:45
WTF Bawidaba? People listen to that sh*t? Even the people at my school who listen to the pop radio hate it.

debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2009 at 13:21
First - Hard Rock Songs. And just as non-prog groups can have a prog song in their repertoire, punk, grunge, heck even country bands can have a hard rock song.
Two - with the change in generations, why would it be surprising that GnR's Welcome to the Jungle surpassed Smoke on the Water ? Time will tell which one ends up on top, or gets passed over by another song.
And at the moment, I hear more guitar players playing that riff than Smoke on the Water.
And as with all these lamenting threads (oh my, they got it quite wrong from what me & my friend (no "s") know to be true), it seems like the majority opinion, which includes the unwashed hoi polloi who are not proggers, is dismissed.
The list seems quite accurate if you were to do a poll among hard rock music fans, as opposed to say , corporate country fans.
And while arguements could be made as to why these songs are on, well ... they do merit inclusion, if only in the debate, eh.
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2009 at 12:02
Originally posted by Chicapah Chicapah wrote:

After watching most of that farce I have come to the conclusion that it has as much relevance to reality as the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.  Seriously, The Who's "Baba O'Riley" isn't even included?  Give me a frakkin' break already!

They probably tried to add it as "Teenage Wasteland" but gave up when their editor told them that no such song existed
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2009 at 10:18
Originally posted by King By-Tor King By-Tor wrote:

Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

I wouldn't have considered all of those bands as hard rock, Confused but even if I did I wouldn't be able to take any list seriously that puts Blue Öyster Cult only 55th.Tongue

AMEN BROTHA!!

Black Blade for #1!! Big smile

YES!!!!!!ClapClapClap
Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2009 at 09:47

After watching most of that farce I have come to the conclusion that it has as much relevance to reality as the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.  Seriously, The Who's "Baba O'Riley" isn't even included?  Give me a frakkin' break already!

"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
moreitsythanyou View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2009 at 03:01
Originally posted by King By-Tor King By-Tor wrote:

That really is a shot to the heart. I really, honestly think that you would be the one to blame (darling).

Clap

<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

progrules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2009 at 02:32
Originally posted by Kestrel Kestrel wrote:

90. Jethro Tull - Aqualung
74. The Cult - Love Removal Machine
55. Blue Oyster Cult - Don’t Fear the Reaper
36. Hot For Teacher - Van Halen
34. Barracuda - Heart
26. Free Bird - Lynyrd Skynyrd
19. Tom Sawyer – Rush
9. Runnin With the Devil – Van Halen
7. Smells Like Teen Spirit – Nirvana
6. Won’t Get Fooled Again – The Who
5. Enter Sandman – Metallica
1. Welcome to the Jungle - Guns N’ Roses

This would be more or less my selection. But then again: where's Jump/Ain't talkin' about love by Van Halen, or Let there be rock by AC/DC or Here Again by Rush Wink, or Elected/Halo of Flies by Alice Cooper or Wasted Years by Iron Maiden or The eagle has landed by Saxon or Rock you to the ground by MSG or Rock Bottom by UFO ?????
Indeed, what kind of list is this ? One half is ok/justified, the other half foolish and off the mark.

A day without prog is a wasted day
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2009 at 02:02
That really is a shot to the heart. I really, honestly think that you would be the one to blame (darling).
topofsm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2009 at 01:59
I just love the fact that a cheesy song like "You give love a bad name" is a spot above "Kashmir". Did people actually vote on this list?LOL

moreitsythanyou View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2009 at 00:45
Why are the White Stripes on this list at all. A better question is, why so low?

And I don't think they could have picked a worse song for #1. Really, that thing is atrocious.
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2009 at 00:37
Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

I wouldn't have considered all of those bands as hard rock, Confused but even if I did I wouldn't be able to take any list seriously that puts Blue Öyster Cult only 55th.Tongue

AMEN BROTHA!!

Black Blade for #1!! Big smile
manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2009 at 00:31

how come everyone seems to like Nirvana's version of More Than A Feeling better than Boston's? Wink

Time always wins.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>