Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedVan Morrison

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Van Morrison
    Posted: January 04 2009 at 19:25
  I am not a huge Van Morrison fan although I love some of his stuff, and I appreciate most of what he has done.  I wonder if he has ever been considered, and personally believe that if Steely Dan, David Bowie, Journey and Todd Rungren have a place here then so does Van.  Probably under eclectic but possibly even jazz or crossover or, in the worst case, prog related.

I nrought this up in the wrong thread and was told he has never been mentioned in a prog site unlike those other groups.  Maybe he just had a smart publicist.  Approve

What you think?
Ken
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2009 at 19:43
Note: I used to be a big van M. fan and must have heard most of his 70's stuff, but I did not think of him as a Prog artist (he had proggy material).  Based on memory, I could not see him in Eclectic (too pop and not nearly prog enough).  None of the artists you mentioned would be suitable for Eclectic, anyway, methinks.  PR from recollection would make the most sense if included in the site, and if he released any fully-Prog (whatever that means ;) -- and noting that that means different things to different people) albums, then Crossover I would think.

But I haven't listened to his music for many years (other than hearing his mainstream stuff on the radio), so hardly claim to be an authority (I know his 70's stuff best).  Which albums do you think would be the most appropriate for the Eclectic category?

Incidentally, here's his website: vanmorrison.com
And myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/vanmorrison

Edited by Logan - January 04 2009 at 19:44
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2009 at 20:08
don't forget most of the other artists you mention were discussed and debated at length, and much careful consideration and musical argumentation was given for each.. SD, Bowie and Journey shouldn't be reasons for inclusion just as a Van Morrison addition wouldn't be a reason to include anyone else.

kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2009 at 21:31
my reason for thinking of Morrison is that he has been very innocative, combining so many styles, sometimes in the same song - R&B, jazz, blues, as described in the intro to his bio in the allmusicguide.com

Equal parts blue-eyed soul shouter and wild-eyed poet-sorcerer, Van Morrison is among popular music's true innovators, a restless seeker whose incantatory vocals and alchemical fusion of R&B, jazz, blues, and Celtic folk produced perhaps the most spiritually transcendent body of work in the rock & roll canon. Subject only to the whims of his own muse, his recordings cover extraordinary stylistic ground yet retain a consistency and purity virtually unmatched among his contemporaries, connected by the mythic power of his singular musical vision and his incendiary vocal delivery: spiraling repetitions of wails and whispers that bypass the confines of language to articulate emotional truths far beyond the scope of literal meaning.

To me that spells p r o g r e s s i v e, but maybe not progressive rock

Edited by kenethlevine - January 04 2009 at 21:35
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2009 at 06:14
Micky is a huge fan of Van the Man, and I agree about his being unique and innovative. However, I don't see how he might be even remotely related to Steely Dan, Journey, David Bowie and Todd Rundgren.... These are very different artists, and, as David said, they were added after VERY careful consideration. I am well aware that many people don't see them as prog, but the fact that all of them are included in one or more other prog sites than PA should mean something.
Alberto Muņoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2009 at 11:04
Van Morrison? in PA?
Well he have wonderful albums, and i mean WONDERFUL like Astral Weeks or Tupelo Honey, but i think is not much prog in his music.

Maybe Neil Young could sound more prog than Van Morrison.

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2009 at 14:21
Originally posted by Alberto Muņoz Alberto Muņoz wrote:

Van Morrison? in PA?
Well he have wonderful albums, and i mean WONDERFUL like Astral Weeks or Tupelo Honey, but i think is not much prog in his music.

I can't say it better than that really.
 Post Reply Post Reply